Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling in Graduation Speech « previous next »
Page: 1 2

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #15 : August 08, 2010, 09:37:57 PM »

The valedictorians I know aren't exactly the greatest people.

...and are rarely the smartest kid in the class.

They usually have strong work ethic though, which can take you pretty far in this world.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #16 : August 08, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »

The valedictorians I know aren't exactly the greatest people.

...and are rarely the smartest kid in the class.

They usually have strong work ethic though, which can take you pretty far in this world.

Oh they are smart...they just don't use it for the right and/or legal reasons.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #17 : August 08, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »

Yank her diploma to teach her a harsh life lesson! (OK, just kidding). I didn't read the speech, but why choose that moment to get on your soapbox and talk about all your ideals? It's a proud moment for all the rest of the kids in her class, too, so why does she have to pee in the punch bowl?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #18 : August 08, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
-Albert Einstein

Einstein's belief behind that quote is that he believed that being taught and spoon-fed by someone will actually narrow the mind's true potential and abilities. Learning has to be an inner drive.

Charles Manson taught his "family" the same thing.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #19 : August 08, 2010, 10:05:54 PM »

Yank her diploma to teach her a harsh life lesson! (OK, just kidding). I didn't read the speech, but why choose that moment to get on your soapbox and talk about all your ideals? It's a proud moment for all the rest of the kids in her class, too, so why does she have to pee in the punch bowl?

Her parents wrote that speech for her.   She was just their mindless minion.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #20 : August 09, 2010, 11:36:51 AM »

Maybe so, but at that age (and knowing plenty of teen-agers) you'd think she would have a mind of her own and make her own choices.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

« #21 : August 09, 2010, 01:15:19 PM »

Didn’t listen to her speech, but the education system is nothing but a bunch of “glorified babysitters”

Now, you do need to pick up social skills throughout the education process, in which many students do.  You also should be able to read and write.  Those that can’t do this at a decent level after 12 years just aren’t meant to succeed.

Even college, which helps you learn about your career field, isn’t necessarily necessary for some fields.  I would argue that college is more important than high school, however.

I don’t know.  I guess I’m cold hearted.  I just laugh when people complain about school budget cuts like the children won’t be able to learn.  “You’re either meant to be successful in this life, or you’re not”----and if you can’t learn with a pen and pencil, then you’re just not meant to succeed.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Valedictorian Speaks Out Against Schooling in Graduation Speech « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools