Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik..." I think we're on our way" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: August 09, 2010, 11:38:16 AM

Peter King> MONDAY MORNING QB

Gerald McCoy, the No. 3 overall draft pick, could start from day one in Tampa.
Icon SMI

The kids are all right, they hope.

TAMPA -- I always got the impression that the Jon Gruden Bucs were trying to scrub clean all Tony Dungy influences on the organization. Now Raheem Morris is trying to embrace what Dungy brought here.

When Dungy took the Bucs' coaching job in 1996, he and GM Rich McKay and personnel czar Jerry Angelo decided to eschew free-agency and build almost exclusively through the draft. Already in-house were linebacker Derrick Brooks, defensive tackle Warren Sapp and quarterback Trent Dilfer. They added Regan Upshaw, Mike Alstott and Donnie Abraham that year, Reidel Anthony, Warrick Dunn and Ronde Barber the next year, and the base of a very good Bucs team was built.

Morris and GM Mark Dominik are trying the same thing. Tampa Bay had a decent base on the offensive line when Dominik and Morris took over for Gruden and Bruce Allen. They got the presumptive quarterback of the future last year in Josh Freeman, and they could play as many as five rookies from this year's draft class in starting or prominent roles, and not just special-team roles.

Six hundred pounds of defensive linemen -- Gerald McCoy and Brian Price -- could start opening day on the line. Fourth-round pick Mike Williams, barring injury, is favored to start at one receiver (last year's surprising seventh-round pick, Sammie Stroughter, could start alongside him), with this year's second-rounder, Arrelious Benn, possibly starting or playing 35 snaps a game as the third receiver. Rookie cornerback Myron Lewis eventually could start alongside third-year corner Aqib Talib, and next year might push Barber to safety if Barber still is able and willing to make play and make that move. The punting job is rookie Brent Bowden's to lose.

The Tampa Bay management is getting creamed locally for not spending money -- the prevailing theory is that the massive financial problem of the Glazers, who own the Bucs, with British football power Manchester United is siphoning money from the operation of the Bucs -- but I get the strong impression Tampa Bay wouldn't have spent in free agency this year anyway. "We want to build a team through the draft and keep it intact,'' Dominik said. "Like Tony said when he coached: 'I don't want a revolving door. I want to show loyalty to the guys we brought in and build a team the right way.' That's the way Raheem and I are operating now. Now, with two draft classes, I think we're on our way.''

I asked Dungy if he thought the two situations --Tampa in 1996 and Tampa in 2010 -- were comparable.

"I do,'' he said. "We got a lot of criticism back then with our plan at first, because we lost five in a row at the start, and eight of our first nine. They wanted us to bench the quarterback and make all kinds of changes. I read some of the same criticisms now -- the fans want to win now, which all fans do. If they're patient, I think it's going to pay off. I like the guys they've drafted.''

Dungy learned this from Bill Walsh (he was on Walsh's first 49er staff, when San Francisco went 2-14) and from playing under Chuck Noll. "Chuck always said stubbornness is a virtue -- if you are right. Fortunately for us, most of the guys we played early played well, and they became the base of a very good team.''

The first Dungy team went 6-10, the second 10-6. A period of good football was born. These Bucs have to be patient, the way I see it. There's no guarantee this rebuilding job with work, but there's no other way for them to win, at least right now.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/08/mmqb/2.html#ixzz0w7hcsbYc

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 09, 2010, 11:56:05 AM

i certainly like the direction of the team.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

pewterpirates

Starter
#2 : August 09, 2010, 11:57:45 AM

yes i say dominick has done a fine job in 2 years...i really hope we reap the benefits

I just can't see my boy Tebow playing in any other jersey except the ol' Bucs.  If someone else ends up stealing him from us I will have a hard time staying a hardcore Bucs fan for life. 

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 09, 2010, 12:39:20 PM

Many of us were enraged two offseasons ago when we made almost no effort to sign any free agents. I can't say I wasn't one of those people, but I understood the goal, for sure. In hindsight, I'm glad we are going this route... we have some really good young talent that should be around for years that will help make this team a force within 3 or so years.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 09, 2010, 12:53:06 PM

Which signing did you like best?   Michael Clayton, Derrick Ward, Mike Nugent, Angelo Crowell, Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich?

pewterpirates

Starter
#5 : August 09, 2010, 12:55:45 PM

Which signing did you like best?   Michael Clayton, Derrick Ward, Mike Nugent, Angelo Crowell, Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich?
4 out of the 6 are no longer here and one may be on his way out.........i like that direction

I just can't see my boy Tebow playing in any other jersey except the ol' Bucs.  If someone else ends up stealing him from us I will have a hard time staying a hardcore Bucs fan for life. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 09, 2010, 01:11:15 PM

out of those signings, i liked the crowell one best.  but i liked all of them to some degree. 

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 09, 2010, 01:13:18 PM

It's borderline impossible not to love what Dominick has done here as GM.

He has acquired more talent in two years than Gruden did in nearly his entire tampa tenure.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 09, 2010, 01:13:41 PM

Which signing did you like best?   Michael Clayton, Derrick Ward, Mike Nugent, Angelo Crowell, Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich?

Bad signing, can help the team, meh, low risk/high reward , got a draft pick, got a draft pick.

What about Kellen Winslow, Trading Gaines, and by all accounts back-to-back good drafts?

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 09, 2010, 01:17:09 PM

I liked the Crowell pick the best too. Very sad he never got to see the field. He would have been a great contingency plan if Ruud were ever to get hurt.

We got rid of Luke and Leftwich which turned it into draft picks. McCown being traded ended up turning into one of the steals of the draft I think in Dekoda Watson. That is a very good trade for a weak minded QB like McCown. Not to mention another 7th rounder and the one from Leftwich turned it into a 5 round this year.

I would say besides Clayton and Ward MD has a very good track record and I am happy to see him in charge.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 09, 2010, 01:25:53 PM

Your examples are just further proof why free agency signings should not be the primary way to build a team.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 09, 2010, 01:50:22 PM

I would say I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't doubt that the players drafted have talent and can play at a high level, my cause for concern and the resulting rumbling in the stomach is with the coaching staff. Will they know what to do with the talent assembled?

#12 : August 09, 2010, 01:55:18 PM

it's been 10 years since he left and they're still name dropping "Dungy" to win over fans?   come on.   shut up and EARN your own respect on the field.   everything you say now is spin doctoring until you prove otherwise.    you lost me when you resigned Clayton at $25 million for 5 years. 

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 09, 2010, 02:17:50 PM

you lost me when you resigned Clayton at $25 million for 5 years. 

it must be hard to be a fan when you give up after one bad decision.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler

#14 : August 09, 2010, 02:23:05 PM

It's borderline impossible not to love what Dominick has done here as GM.

He has acquired more talent in two years than Gruden did in nearly his entire tampa tenure.

I like what Dom has done in the drafts, but lets see if the players pan out on the field before claiming success.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dominik..." I think we're on our way" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools