Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 30,000 flock to apply for Section 8 in Atlanta « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#210 : August 16, 2010, 12:28:59 PM

People with drive and ambition rise to the top whether their parents get government support or not.

And where does that drive and ambition come from most of the time?
Inside.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#211 : August 16, 2010, 01:00:39 PM

Dont need a link as real life work experience is all I need to tell you poverty, government assistance and other issues may be shown as a "black thing" but it is not even close to being true.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#212 : August 16, 2010, 02:03:01 PM

Dont need a link as real life work experience is all I need to tell you poverty, government assistance and other issues may be shown as a "black thing" but it is not even close to being true.

to pose a decent arguement, and to make others believe what you are peddaling, you need a link...

I can tell you a lot of things based on my experience, and what I think, that doesn't make any of you inclined to believe me...

a link is necessary.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#213 : August 16, 2010, 02:06:21 PM

I'm having hard time, too, believing there are an equal number of Whites on government assistance as there are Blacks ... even though it would be a crushing blow to some in here if true.  ;)

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#214 : August 16, 2010, 02:07:59 PM

I'm having hard time, too, believing there are an equal number of Whites on government assistance as there are Blacks ... even though it would be a crushing blow to some in here if true.  ;)

actually, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.  everywhere I look I see trailor trash whites, walk into a wal-mart...

however, I still don't believe it.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#215 : August 16, 2010, 02:11:19 PM

^^
Depends on how you interpret:  On the phone, so not going to find the mandatory link, but more whites are on government assistance when you look at the bottom number, more blacks are on government assistance if you look at the percentage. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#216 : August 16, 2010, 03:55:44 PM

^^
Depends on how you interpret: On the phone, so not going to find the mandatory link, but more whites are on government assistance when you look at the bottom number, more blacks are on government assistance if you look at the percentage.

It does make sense when looking at it that way ...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#217 : August 16, 2010, 06:43:06 PM

Not born into that lifestyle for sure. Seems when my family needed more money my Dad got a second job. When that was insufficient my Mother got a job. When I was 12 I started working for neighbors - and giving the money to my Mother. You're right B., I have no idea of entitlement culture - I've been working to support my family to some degree since I was 12. Don't know or understand any other way.

Whatever the 'trap' is, it is time to help those folks out. I suspect giving money, shelter, food or health care isn't the way. Just sayin' - time to try something else.

I dont argue for a second we as a country need to find another way...Again, i have no answers.. wish i did.. What i have seen in my life via one of my careers is that kids are born into and dont know anything else growing up... how do you fix that?

Educational standards - who you are as an American, what it takes to be a Citizen, and the Country's expectations of each Citizen. Limits on assistance for the healthy - time to start cutting back when folks feel reliant on 'free'.

All sounds great........ until you are raised the way these kids are currently raised.. again its a cycle that is not so easy to break..

and your answer to break that cycle is to give them everything they need for free?

sick of it, time for change, even if that means radical change.

It is about time you took a breath and figured out the mess that has been created required folks trying to the right thing going down a wrong path. The path needs to be changed for sure, BUT it will take time and energy. And it needs to start now - with first steps away from entitlements. Along with educations and expectations being set for all.

Couldn't agree more .... but I doubt we ever see anyone, or any party, brave enough to go down that road. It's too easy to keep doing things the way they've been done for decades ... by BOTH parties, btw.

Going to have to chance, the money stream is gone - too shallow...

Have you seen or heard of ANYONE out there that may have the balls to tackle this .... even adddressed it in some fashion?

Yes.

Well?? .... Is it a secret?  :D

It would be good idea, though, if he/she were black ...

You will just make light of them, googling the issue will provide a variety of folks - not too many Dems... just to alert the naive

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

spartan

Hall of Famer
#218 : August 16, 2010, 07:19:58 PM

This is not an indictment of African Americans, more an indictment of Govt Programs that earnestly start with the best of intentions yet turn into vast vote buying programs. Vote for me and I will give you more and you won't have to do anything about it. Add onto that the Politicians have no real incentive to actually solve the problem and you have a vicious circle of abuse by those who vote and those who claim those votes. There are vast swathes of "Council Estates", the UK equivalent of Section 8 housing I guess, predominantly white,  which used to be bastions of working class values and work ethic. Many of them are now crime ridden cesspits sustained by Govt handouts. The sad thing is many of the inhabitants have lived there for years and hate what it has become as much as we do. The only thing that will resolve this problem is directed assistance in conjunction with some tough love. And a blind eye or 2.

Obamessiah

Pro Bowler

#219 : August 17, 2010, 07:04:02 PM

everywhere I look I see trailor trash whites, walk into a wal-mart...

Awesomeness.

burger40

Hall of Famer

#220 : August 20, 2010, 12:38:12 AM

This is not an indictment of African Americans, more an indictment of Govt Programs that earnestly start with the best of intentions yet turn into vast vote buying programs. Vote for me and I will give you more and you won't have to do anything about it. Add onto that the Politicians have no real incentive to actually solve the problem and you have a vicious circle of abuse by those who vote and those who claim those votes. There are vast swathes of "Council Estates", the UK equivalent of Section 8 housing I guess, predominantly white,  which used to be bastions of working class values and work ethic. Many of them are now crime ridden cesspits sustained by Govt handouts. The sad thing is many of the inhabitants have lived there for years and hate what it has become as much as we do. The only thing that will resolve this problem is directed assistance in conjunction with some tough love. And a blind eye or 2.
even the daily beast just wrote an article about the 4 decades of failed assistance to Africa. we need to invest in their countries and make real credit available to them through thinks like Kiva the micro aid company that allows everyday people to loan money to entrepreneurs in africa. however that isn't nearly enough. we need to do more to enhance trade and bring about law and property rights in Africa which will go a long way to Africa progressing.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#221 : August 20, 2010, 05:21:50 PM

even the daily beast just wrote an article about the 4 decades of failed assistance to Africa. we need to invest in their countries and make real credit available to them through thinks like Kiva the micro aid company that allows everyday people to loan money to entrepreneurs in africa. however that isn't nearly enough. we need to do more to enhance trade and bring about law and property rights in Africa which will go a long way to Africa progressing.

:-

Page: 1 ... 13 14 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 30,000 flock to apply for Section 8 in Atlanta « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools