Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 37

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
: August 13, 2010, 10:01:16 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_ground_zero_mosque_obama

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama on Friday forcefully endorsed allowing a mosque near ground zero, saying the country's founding principles demanded no less.
"As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."
Obama made the comments at an annual dinner in the White House State Dining Room celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
The White House had not previously taken a stand on the mosque, which would be part of a $100 million Islamic center two blocks from where nearly 3,000 people perished when hijacked jetliners slammed into the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001. Press secretary Robert Gibbs had insisted it was a local matter.

It was already much more than that, sparking debate around the country as top Republicans including Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich announced their opposition. So did the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish civil rights group.
Obama elevated it to a presidential issue Friday without equivocation.
While insisting that the place where the twin towers once stood was indeed "hallowed ground," Obama said that the proper way to honor it was to apply American values.

"Our capacity to show not merely tolerance, but respect towards those who are different from us — and that way of life, that quintessentially American creed, stands in stark contrast to the nihilism of those who attacked us on that September morning, and who continue to plot against us today," he said.

Obama harkened back to earlier times when the building of synagogues or Catholic churches also met with opposition. "But time and again, the American people have demonstrated that we can work through these issues, and stay true to our core values and emerge stronger for it," he said. "So it must be and will be today."
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an independent who has been a strong supporter of the mosque, welcomed Obama's words as a "clarion defense of the freedom of religion."
But some Republicans were quick to pounce.

"President Obama is wrong," said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. "It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero. While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much."

Entering the highly charged election-year debate, Obama surely knew that his words would not only make headlines but be heard by Muslims worldwide. The president has made it a point to reach out to the global Muslim community, and the over 100 guests at Friday's dinner included ambassadors and officials from numerous Muslim nations, including Saudi Arabia and Indonesia. Seated around candlelit tables, they listened closely as Obama spoke, then stood and applauded when the president finished his remarks.

While his pronouncement concerning the mosque might find favor in the Muslim world, Obama's stance runs counter to the opinions of the majority of Americans, according to polls. A CNN/Opinion Research poll released this week found that nearly 70 percent of Americans opposed the mosque plan while just 29 percent approved. A number of Democratic politicians have shied away from the controversy.
The group behind the $100 million project, the Cordoba Initiative, describes it as a Muslim-themed community center. Early plans call not only for prayer space but for a swimming pool, culinary school, art studios and other features. Developers envision it as a hub for interfaith interaction, as well as a place for Muslims to bridge some of their faith's own schisms.

Opponents, including some Sept. 11 victims' relatives, see the prospect of a mosque so near the destroyed trade center as an insult to the memory of those killed by Islamic terrorists in the 2001 attacks. Some of the Sept. 11 victims' relatives, however, are in favor.
The mosque has won approval from local planning boards but faces legal challenges, and New York's Conservative Party is planning a television ad campaign to pressure a New York City utility to use its power to block the project.

Enjoy your single term Obama.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 13, 2010, 10:42:50 PM

Not surprising in the least...

Muslims always stick up for each other...

Scholty

Pro Bowler

#2 : August 13, 2010, 10:55:13 PM

WTC Mosque - meet the Auschwitz Nuns!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704271804575405330350430368.html

--

I'm disappointed in Obama's statements. 

They absolutely have a right to build that mosque.... but just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it 'right'...

*******************************Luck happens when hard work meets opportunity.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#3 : August 13, 2010, 11:32:07 PM

I'm not ....

While insisting that the place where the twin towers once stood was indeed "hallowed ground," Obama said that the proper way to honor it was to apply American values.

"Our capacity to show not merely tolerance, but respect towards those who are different from us — and that way of life, that quintessentially American creed, stands in stark contrast to the nihilism of those who attacked us on that September morning, and who continue to plot against us today," he said.
[/b]

But he did vastly overestimate the fact that many Americans don't give a crap about our core values any longer because they're blinded by intolerance ...

Obama harkened back to earlier times when the building of synagogues or Catholic churches also met with opposition. "But time and again, the American people have demonstrated that we can work through these issues , and stay true to our core values and emerge stronger for it," he said. "So it must be and will be today."
[/b]

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 13, 2010, 11:36:34 PM

I'd be more concerned if he didn't allow it.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 14, 2010, 12:06:39 AM

I'm not ....

[/b]

But he did vastly overestimate the fact that many Americans don't give a crap about our core values any longer because they're blinded by intolerance ...

Obama harkened back to earlier times when the building of synagogues or Catholic churches also met with opposition. "But time and again, the American people have demonstrated that we can work through these issues , and stay true to our core values and emerge stronger for it," he said. "So it must be and will be today."
[/b]

He's an idiot. He doesnt know the first thing about American values. His racist administration violates the rule of law left and right. He and his ilk proudly trample the Constitution. His political party is stinking up the congress with corruption. He's not even eligible to be President.

Can't wait for 2012.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#6 : August 14, 2010, 12:14:22 AM

He's not even eligible to be President.

PewterG@tor

Starter
#7 : August 14, 2010, 12:37:29 AM

Surprise! His wife vacations with Mrs. Louis Farakhan so anyone with a brain coulda seen that a mile away

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 14, 2010, 12:59:54 AM

Surprise! His wife vacations with Mrs. Louis Farakhan so anyone with a brain coulda seen that a mile away

link?

burger40

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 14, 2010, 01:01:07 AM

I'm not ....

[/b]

[/b]

i'm sure you will be happy to see the thread i'm about to post about a proposed gay bar next to the mosque to cater to gay muslims. the muslim group building the mosque are already telling Greg Gutfeld, the guy proposing this, that if he wants to build dialogue he won't build it next to the mosque.

that is some rich irony.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#10 : August 14, 2010, 01:30:20 AM

I bet he would have let them build a Toyota Factory in Pearl Harbor in 1951.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 14, 2010, 01:33:40 AM

He'd have let the Japanese setup a military base in Hawaii right after attacking Pearl Harbor.   Fair rights and all...

benchwarmer69

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 14, 2010, 02:07:45 AM

.......Of COURSE he does.

He's a female cat and the most anti-American president ever. I would trust Jacques Chirac over this peace of garbage.

I bet he would've if it somehow kept all his democrat subservants loyal and in charge. I would normally never go as far as to say any president was ever like Adolf Hitler, but man, all his propaganda and control sure starts to make me wonder. This guy has been feeding America doses of medicine that it does not need. He has ultimately destroyed the US in the future by overwhelming it's economy.

When he ran for President, it was all about making government smaller. So once he was in, no politicians lost their jobs (except republicans) and he created "czars" (a Russian term created during the Soviet Union days.)

He said he WOULD NOT coddle big companies. Well, BP has pretty much been propped up by his administration, and many banks that didn't deserve money got billions. "Cash for clunkers" was a disaster for the used car dealerships and small car lot owners. It also could be said that he created his "Obama-care" to feed insurance companies pockets. Sure, they aren't making as much off every person, but not every person had insurance before, now they HAVE to. So yes, although reduced per person, there are more people contributing. I'd say the insurance companies wanted this bill asap.

He promised to bring Iraq soldiers back asap, well, it's going on how long now? ...Heck, the guy sent more than he brought back thusfar.

I guess he never mentioned border control so we're all at a loss on that one.

When he didn't go to Arlington, he spat in the very soldiers faces that he's sending to die, not to mention, the soldiers that are still alive that have gone to war for this country. For that disrespect, I would spit on him (but only if he's wasn't on fire.)

An why is there even a problem with realeasing his birth certificate? An why is it that he's spent upwards of over 100,000+$ to protect that info? Sounds like the bill the Dem's past with Pelosi saying "to know what's in the bill, we have to sign off on it first." Well. we've been waiting and I'm starting to think, like the bill, it's all full of hot air and fluff once we all know the truth.

In no way (besides he so-called love of sports) does this guy emulate anything American. I basically feel like a foreigner really is running our country, regardless if he's legal or not.

PewterG@tor

Starter
#13 : August 14, 2010, 08:04:52 AM

link?

Java posted a pic with the two together and a caption in another post.  It's the second page on "First Lady's vacation in Spain costs $375,000"

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 14, 2010, 08:33:31 AM

Yup I think you guys should just put all the muslims in the country in internment camps instead.

Face it, political tension is temporary, but moral choices last forever. If there were any arguments other than ones filled with xenophobia and over the top nationalism, then it would make sense but such an argument doesn't exist. People only fall back on the constitution when it's relevant to their interests, yet those same people who believe so strongly in constitutional rights are the ones being the hypocrites. Gun violence kills 30,000 or so people in the US a year yet you don't see the majority of the population going out and protesting gun stores 2 blocks nearby all gun related deaths. The opponents are quick to cite the constitution and whatever meme they've been fed by the NRA as an infallible argument. Yet somehow you're questioning the constitution now, and actually think an argument like "it just isn't right" has any weight? It's honestly pathetic and intelligence-insulting how people forget history. This type of behaviour belongs in the Medieval or Bronze age.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 37
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools