Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 37

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #30 : August 15, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »

I think this is one of those issues where a lot of people really do miss the point.

Unfortunately, as Illuminator mentioned, you're one who missed the point.

Nobody (that I know of) is disputing the right to build this Mosque

Nobody? Heck, just in this thread you can see a few of them.

but just because someone is allowed to do it, does not necessarily mean that they should do it.

And just because certain people have a problem with the center, (it's not just a mosque) does not mean it shouldn't be built.

Remember that big old Confederate Flag on I4? I believe the arguments made to take it down, despite not breaking any law, is that it was insensitive to the feelings of African Americans. None of which I point out were alive when that flag last went into battle. A whole bunch of people were not only alive on 9/11 but were physically involved. It's a bad decision to build this here, and it is a bad decision for the President to comment on the matter when he did not need to.

The decision is fine for both sides. It's not at ground zero and it's not a mosque reserved solely for muslims. People point to the constitution until it doesn't support their biased views.

Good job by Obama pointing out the difference between these folks and the ones who attacked us. GW Bush did the same thing right after 9/11.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #31 : August 15, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »

It might be in poor taste, but there is no law against poor taste

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #32 : August 15, 2010, 10:29:13 PM »

I think this is one of those issues where a lot of people really do miss the point.

Unfortunately, as Illuminator mentioned, you're one who missed the point.

Nobody (that I know of) is disputing the right to build this Mosque

Nobody? Heck, just in this thread you can see a few of them.

but just because someone is allowed to do it, does not necessarily mean that they should do it.

And just because certain people have a problem with the center, (it's not just a mosque) does not mean it shouldn't be built.

Remember that big old Confederate Flag on I4? I believe the arguments made to take it down, despite not breaking any law, is that it was insensitive to the feelings of African Americans. None of which I point out were alive when that flag last went into battle. A whole bunch of people were not only alive on 9/11 but were physically involved. It's a bad decision to build this here, and it is a bad decision for the President to comment on the matter when he did not need to.

The decision is fine for both sides. It's not at ground zero and it's not a mosque reserved solely for muslims. People point to the constitution until it doesn't support their biased views.

Good job by Obama pointing out the difference between these folks and the ones who attacked us. GW Bush did the same thing right after 9/11.

Then please tell me the point I am missing. I have been over this thread twice now and  I see no post where nobody says the people behind this building should not be ALLOWED to build it. What they are questioning is the taste, logic and decision making behind it. Yes Cyber went off at a bit of a tangent but that really had nothing to do with the subject matter. I personally think it is tasteless and is just asking for trouble. If it weren't then this thread would not exist. I (sort of) joked about the gay club but there would be riots in the streets if somebody would actually do it because it would be "insensitive" to Muslims and they would take GREAT offense. If they are that sensitive you would think they would have put a bit more thought into the process before they came up with this idea.

Again, gonna re-iterate for the hard of hearing. They should not be "disallowed" from building this Mosque, they should not be banned from building this Mosque, they have every right to do so. BUT, is it wise to do so? The President then needlessly jumps into the argument and voices an opinion. This either demonstrates poor leadership or he wanted to come down hard to make a point. This then begs the question what point is it you are trying to make Mr. President?

So Joe, what is it exactly I "don't get?"

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #33 : August 15, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

It might be in poor taste, but there is no law against poor taste

On board here 100%, but if you do something in poor taste then be prepared to be criticized for it.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

« #34 : August 15, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »

This then begs the question what point is it you are trying to make Mr. President?

I believe the point he was trying to make is that Muslim and AlQaeda are not synonymous ...

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #35 : August 15, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »

"...the rights [to religious freedom] hereby asserted are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right."  - Thomas Jefferson: Statute for Religious Freedom, 1779

"The constitutional freedom of religion [is] the most inalienable and sacred of all human rights." --Thomas Jefferson: Virginia Board of Visitors Minutes, 1819.

Why does Thomas Jefferson hate America?

:(

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #36 : August 15, 2010, 11:35:49 PM »

This then begs the question what point is it you are trying to make Mr. President?

I believe the point he was trying to make is that Muslim and AlQaeda are not synonymous ...

I thought was was pretty obvious. He obviously doesn't get that, either. Like I said, GWB said the same thing right after 9/11. Did Spartan criticize Bush for doing that?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 15, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »

Trying to justify Obama by saying he's the same as GWB?   LOL!

I hope you aren't also saying the gays don't have the right to put a gay bar right next to that mosque.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #38 : August 15, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »

Trying to justify Obama by saying he's the same as GWB? LOL!

I hope you aren't also saying the gays don't have the right to put a gay bar right next to that mosque.

I think the people who trumpeting religious freedom on this issue are also the ones in favor of gay marriage in Guru's threads, so I don't imagine they'd generally have a problem with a gay bar next to the mosque, so long as all zoning laws are followed.  (And those laws shouldn't give any special treatment to the area around the mosque.)  Really, it's not about wanting to placate or kowtow muslims.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #39 : August 16, 2010, 12:00:15 AM »

Then please tell me the point I am missing. I have been over this thread twice now and  I see no post where nobody says the people behind this building should not be ALLOWED to build it.

And here is a thread that you posted in...

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=59968.0

OP stated...

Disgusting.

I bet Bin Laden and his boys are loving this in a large way...

And we are going to allow it to happen.

Shameful.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38538068/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

Sure seems like he is calling for us to disallow it somehow.

And in that same thread, it seems that OBD is calling for all Muslims to be thrown out of the country because we can't tell the bad ones from the good ones. And then we have Guru calling for something similar to internment camps that we used for the Japanese. StripJointBozo shows his true, bigoted colors in that thread, too.

The ones who think they shouldn't be allowed to build the community center are in that thread. And like I said, you participated in that one, too.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #40 : August 16, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »

Trying to justify Obama by saying he's the same as GWB? LOL!

I think the people who trumpeting religious freedom on this issue are also the ones in favor of gay marriage in Guru's threads, so I don't imagine they'd generally have a problem with a gay bar next to the mosque, so long as all zoning laws are followed.  (And those laws shouldn't give any special treatment to the area around the mosque.)  Really, it's not about wanting to placate or kowtow muslims.

I agree with this.  There should be nothing preventing the gay bar going up next door.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

« #41 : August 16, 2010, 07:48:33 AM »

The rational thinkers understand that the gay bar and the mosque are exactly the same in the eyes of the law. I have no problem with either of them.

The other crap being tossed around in here...well...let's just say "rational" doesn't qualify.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

DailyRich68

Starter
« #42 : August 16, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »

People do realize there's already a mosque closer to Ground Zero than where this community center is being built, right?

And if the argument is, "I have no problem with them building it, just not near Ground Zero," then explain the protests popping up near planned mosques and Muslim community centers around the country.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #43 : August 16, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

Maybe it has to do with the fact that many of the Islamic clerics have yet to condemn what Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda have been doing to innocent people under the name of the Muslim faith.

DailyRich68

Starter
« #44 : August 16, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »

So because "many" haven't, all should be held accountable?

By that logic, I'm going to hold every Catholic church responsible for child abuse until every single one of them condemns it.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 37
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools