Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#510 : August 25, 2010, 11:32:46 AM

No, I just look at all sides of an issue rather than the most obvious, jingoistic, xenophobic one.

Oh, please, if that were the case then this issue would include being against all mosques and all muslims, which it is not.

I do like the big words though, however,  I would would classify myself more of a jingleistic and xylophonic individual.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

DailyRich68

Starter
#511 : August 25, 2010, 11:47:18 AM

FOX News, for one.

I just find it easier to believe that their reasons for building there are economic and practical than assigning some sinister ulterior motive or even just "Boy are we gonna show these heathens by building right next to Ground Zero!" Because look what good that's done them so far if that's the case.

You are going to have to proove this one.

What, I have to prove there's no malicious intent, but you don't have to prove there is?  Typical.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#512 : August 25, 2010, 11:52:09 AM

FOX News, for one.

I just find it easier to believe that their reasons for building there are economic and practical than assigning some sinister ulterior motive or even just "Boy are we gonna show these heathens by building right next to Ground Zero!" Because look what good that's done them so far if that's the case.

What, I have to prove there's no malicious intent, but you don't have to prove there is?  Typical.

How about you proving that Fox News said what you claimed.  I'd like to see it.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#513 : August 25, 2010, 12:01:48 PM

FOX News, for one.

What, I have to prove there's no malicious intent, but you don't have to prove there is? Typical.

No, proove Fox News said that.

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#514 : August 25, 2010, 03:34:03 PM

I think that was an inaccurate attribution....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#515 : August 25, 2010, 04:09:37 PM

I think that was an inaccurate attribution....

You gotta be able to back statements like that up or don't even bother .... makes us look bad.  ::)

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#516 : August 25, 2010, 04:36:16 PM

Inaccuracies are harder to verify - proving negatives and all that ;)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#517 : August 25, 2010, 05:19:18 PM

Inaccuracies are harder to verify - proving negatives and all that ;)

I was talking about the FoxNews attribution, not your statement ... When I went back and read that, I realized that may not have been real clear.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#518 : August 25, 2010, 07:25:55 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38852372/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

spartan

Hall of Famer
#519 : August 25, 2010, 10:35:18 PM

We also have a "Constitution" that says it's just fine.

Don't recall anybody saying they don't have a Constitutional (or legal right for that matter) right to do this. I do recall people saying that it is tasteless and insensitive though. Kinda changes the discussion when you actually listen to both sides of the argument.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#520 : August 26, 2010, 08:19:56 AM

That comment was in response to the one above it. I didn't quote it in my follow up.

Would you mind pointing out the section of the Constitution that deals with tastelessness and insensitivity? Your feelings do not constitute a valid reason for them not to build there.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

spartan

Hall of Famer
#521 : August 27, 2010, 03:11:32 PM

That comment was in response to the one above it. I didn't quote it in my follow up.

Would you mind pointing out the section of the Constitution that deals with tastelessness and insensitivity? Your feelings do not constitute a valid reason for them not to build there.

Course they do. They do not constitute a legal reason to prevent them from building it, but if the prime intent is to make friends and influence people as they, taking peoples feelings into consideration and not pissing them off would be a good start don't you think?

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#522 : August 27, 2010, 03:49:46 PM

Using this logic then, shouldn't all Hate crime legislation be unConstitutional.

`Sec. 249. Hate crime acts

`(a) In General-

`(1) OFFENSES INVOLVING ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, OR NATIONAL ORIGIN

Perceived definition:

1. To obtain knowledge of through the senses; to receive impressions from by means of the bodily organs; to take cognizance of the existence, character, or identity of, by means of the senses; to see, hear, or feel; as, to perceive a distant ship; to perceive a discord. --Reid. [1913 Webster

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#523 : August 27, 2010, 04:06:52 PM

Course they do. They do not constitute a legal reason to prevent them from building it, but if the prime intent is to make friends and influence people as they, taking peoples feelings into consideration and not pissing them off would be a good start don't you think?

I doubt there's anything Muslims could do to make you, or others opposed to their new building, like them better.

Do you care whether you and others are pissing them off?

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#524 : August 27, 2010, 04:10:42 PM

Using this logic then, shouldn't all Hate crime legislation be unConstitutional.

`Sec. 249. Hate crime acts

`(a) In General-

`(1) OFFENSES INVOLVING ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, OR NATIONAL ORIGIN

Perceived definition:

1. To obtain knowledge of through the senses; to receive impressions from by means of the bodily organs; to take cognizance of the existence, character, or identity of, by means of the senses; to see, hear, or feel; as, to perceive a distant ship; to perceive a discord. --Reid. [1913 Webster

When you take over the world you can change it. Until then, don't commit hate crimes.

Page: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Obama backs Mosque near Ground Zero « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools