Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Backup QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
: August 15, 2010, 02:11:11 PM

Looking around the league...I was just  thinking of who could possibly be had for a late round pick to provide some sort of insurance that we could have over Josh Johnson. These are some potential guys.

Sage Rosenfels
Dan Orlovsky
Patrick Ramsey
Billy Volek
Derek Anderson
Charlie Batch
Kyle Boller
Charlie Frye
Jon Kitna

Some of these guys are obviously just 1 or 2 years but you got to wonder if its just safe measure to take a Vet back up over relying on Josh Johnson. Not jumping the gun yet but if the next pre-season game and Johnson is struggling against the back ups again I think its safe to say we need another option.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 15, 2010, 03:41:18 PM

Kitna, Rosenfels and Volek.

Kitna didn't look bad, Rosenfels looked pretty good when his WR were laying hard and Volek because he's Billy Volek.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 15, 2010, 03:43:55 PM

They wont do it. Because if Freeman struggles, it will start putting pressure on him when everyone starts calling for the vet to be put in.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#3 : August 15, 2010, 04:23:19 PM

Anderson fits the bill for me.  Former starter that had some success, decent arm, and no one will be chanting his name if Freeman struggles, but he might win us a few games if the need arises.

#4 : August 15, 2010, 04:32:56 PM

QB and RB are needs for sure

lowlife

Starter
#5 : August 15, 2010, 04:57:13 PM

Rosenfels isn't going anywhere. Favre uncertainty and an inconsistent Tavaris Jackson, he's worth more to them than he is to us.

Derek Anderson is just outright terrible.

Dom probably isn't going to go for any, but if I had a choice I'd go with Thigpen or Pennington in a trade.
I don't see the Dolphins keeping 4 QBs. If they received a decent offer for one of the two, they might consider doing it and keep White as a situational/developmental 3rd.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 15, 2010, 05:43:44 PM

They wont do it. Because if Freeman struggles, it will start putting pressure on him when everyone starts calling for the vet to be put in.

This.^^^  And why is everyone giving up on JJ? It's too early to label the kid a bust. He has had less gametime than Free and his numbers look about the same as Free's last year.

Add to that, we aren't contending this year anyway. Signing a veteran back-up makes zero sense to me. This year is an evaluation year. IF Freeman goes down we will evaluate JJ's progress, or Rudy's progress. Why get rid of the kid when you have all that time invested in him....and he hasn't even been given a fair chance to show anything yet.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#7 : August 15, 2010, 05:46:17 PM

This.^^^  And why is everyone giving up on JJ? It's too early to label the kid a bust. He has had less gametime than Free and his numbers look about the same as Free's last year.

Add to that, we aren't contending this year anyway. Signing a veteran back-up makes zero sense to me. This year is an evaluation year. IF Freeman goes down we will evaluate JJ's progress, or Rudy's progress. Why get rid of the kid when you have all that time invested in him....and he hasn't even been given a fair chance to show anything yet.

Someone posted earlier that JJ looks "skittish;" I think thats the perfect summation, that and he's a turnover machine.  Didn't he throw a pick on the first drive of the second half in every game he started last year???

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 15, 2010, 06:33:38 PM

Someone posted earlier that JJ looks "skittish;" I think thats the perfect summation, that and he's a turnover machine. Didn't he throw a pick on the first drive of the second half in every game he started last year???

And Freeman was downright pathetic in about half of the games he started, so using your criteria, you must think he is a bust, too right?

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

lowlife

Starter
#9 : August 16, 2010, 11:38:20 AM

Josh would make a fine developmental QB, but not as the primary backup.
I like JJ, he's shown promise and is one of the most athletic QB's in the league.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 16, 2010, 12:32:08 PM

Anyone still thinking the Bucs are just fine with JJ as the number 2 has their head in the clouds and needs to get over their crush on the kid.   He's got potential and might be worth the roster spot for now but he's in no way a sure thing as the backup.  If Freeman goes down you're going to see some sloppy play from JJ as the backup.  He's just not ready yet.   Off that list though I can't say any of them are better.   I might take a chance on Anderson if it's for a seventh rounder or straight up trade for Rudy lol.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 19, 2010, 04:23:36 PM

Anyone still thinking the Bucs are just fine with JJ as the number 2 has their head in the clouds.

That's why they brought in an experienced vet this past off-season, right? WRONG. The professionals calling the shots at 1BP don't panic over one pre-season game, which seems to be a recurring theme on this message board. I honestly expected alot more out of some of you guys. I guess that's why they call this the 'silly season'.

And don't try to deny it. There wasn't anyone starting threads about bringing in a vet QB until AFTER the MIA game. I really hope he has a good week this week and Freeman struggles. I just can't wait to see the ridiculous responses.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 19, 2010, 05:21:29 PM

Anybody but Garcia, Luke or Leftwich.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#13 : August 19, 2010, 06:01:30 PM

McCown would have been the perfect fit. He would have tutored Freeman, never complained about his role, been familiar with the transition of systems, and nobody would have been calling for him to replace Freeman under any circumstances. Chad Pennington would create the fewest problems and would be the best alternative. Not sure the Dolphins would consider him expendable. He's cheap insurance for them.

I want to see JJ perform on a dry field in RJS before I condemn him to the scrap heap. His resume includes four starts on a bad team in turmoil. Very few QBs have immediate success in the NFL, even with good teams. This is a team in transition, a very young team, but it is in much better shape than it was a year ago. McCown was traded because of a poor showing in a downpour, and there was no market for Leftwich. Don't write JJ off just yet. No vets. They'll just complicate matters and serve no real purpose.

This team will live or die on the arm and legs of Josh Freeman. Stick with the youth movement. Let these guys grow together. They will improve year by year as young backups. The only thing Jeff Garcia did for the Bucs, was delay any opportunity to build for the future.
Stay the course.

bucmoon

Second String
#14 : August 19, 2010, 06:08:17 PM

just no Brady Quinn ...he has had some of the worst games i have seen a pro have ..
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Backup QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools