Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Backup QB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 19, 2010, 06:15:40 PM

McCown would have been the perfect fit. He would have tutored Freeman, never complained about his role, been familiar with the transition of systems, and nobody would have been calling for him to replace Freeman under any circumstances.

I'm not so sure on the not complaining about his role side of things.

The Bucs will not sign another QB unless JJ and Carpenter are so bad that they are forced to. They aren't at that point. An injury also could cause them to look elsewhere.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#16 : August 19, 2010, 06:21:09 PM

Anybody but Garcia, Luke or Leftwich.
Garcia would be perfect since he has worked with the bucs and olson before and can probably keep us in games if called apon.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 19, 2010, 06:24:50 PM

Garcia would be perfect since he has worked with the bucs and olson before and can probably keep us in games if called apon.

Jeff Garcia will spend his entire time as a backup trying to figure out how he can get the starter out of the game and him in it. That is one reason he isn't a backup currently. He's a really bad fit for the job.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 19, 2010, 06:41:48 PM

Jeff Garcia will spend his entire time as a backup trying to figure out how he can get the starter out of the game and him in it. That is one reason he isn't a backup currently. He's a really bad fit for the job.
i don't know enough about him to know if that is true or not but considering it's the job of a backup qb to be able to come in and finish a game or keep us from completely tanking if it's for several games then Garcia would probably still fit the bill.  and considering his future is looking like the UFL he might be willing to accept that role once again like he did with the Eagles.  I'm also confident he could come in this late and learn the playbook quickly.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 20, 2010, 12:19:51 AM

McCown would have been the perfect fit. He would have tutored Freeman, never complained about his role, been familiar with the transition of systems, and nobody would have been calling for him to replace Freeman under any circumstances.

If you knew anything about him at all, you would not question this aspect of his character. He did whatever he was asked to do. Garcia was the whiner. He was never satisfied, not even with the contract he signed. He performed well for the fleagles, and Reid didn't want him back if he played for free. The guy was a pain in the butt. On top of that, he couldn't throw an accurate pass beyond ten yards, wouldn't stay in the pocket long enough for his receivers to run their routes, and had a problem locating his targets.

McCown threw 15 completions in a row in the one game where he had all of the starters. Even playing with backups, he still had the best QB rating of anyone on the team. Gruden benched him in favor of experience, bad experience. In the end, Garcia was allowed to walk. Even Gruden didn't want him back. He kept JJ though. I've always wondered what Gruden planned to do if he hadn't been fired. I doubt that he would have considered Freeman as a junior.

I'd sooner see Carpenter start than Garcia.

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#20 : August 20, 2010, 12:41:34 AM

A veteran backup QB so that we'll go 5-11 instead of 2-14 if Freeman somehow got hurt....for some reason I don't put much value in that right now. Maybe when we're actual contenders something like that will matter.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 20, 2010, 05:16:30 AM

well if Freeman got a season ending injury early in the season then sure just go with one of the young guys and get a better draft pick while seeing what they got/developing them.  but to finish a game that we are still in or to fill in for one game you guys can't see the advantage of having a vet?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 20, 2010, 09:25:31 AM

well if Freeman got a season ending injury early in the season then sure just go with one of the young guys and get a better draft pick while seeing what they got/developing them. but to finish a game that we are still in or to fill in for one game you guys can't see the advantage of having a vet?

I honestly believe the Bucs have an outside shot at making the playoffs. If the veteran was McCown, paired with Freeman and JJ, that would be the best possible situation for this team. Pennington would be my second choice. These are two guys who would help the team any way possible. They both are unselfish players with a team first attitude. Since it is highly unlikely that either one could become available to the Bucs, sink or swim with the guys that are here.
The general consensus is the team is not going to be a contender, with or without Freeman, anyway. A veteran QB thrown into the mix is not going make a difference. It would only complicate matters. JJ has four starts to build on and he was outstanding in college. He's not going to beat out Freeman, but he can become a dependable backup if he doesn't have to compete with some veteran. In another year or two, when the Bucs more respected around the league, JJ will be a better option than some other team's rejects. He will be familiar with the system and have a little more experience. Home grown is better in the long run, and the long run is what we're looking at here. Nobody considers this team a threat right now. I believe the Bucs are going to shock the "experts" and make Java choke on his vomit.

Just a feelin'.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#23 : August 20, 2010, 09:47:17 AM

I think the Bucs will "go with what they've got"-- but if, God forbid, Freeman gets a 6week+ injury, I think we could possibly see the Bucs pull the trigger on a better, back-up QB who they don't want "looking over Freeman's shoulder" right now. ...

~ and you all know which QB makes the most sense in that regard ~  #7

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

#24 : August 20, 2010, 10:01:23 AM

I don't consider Luke McCown a veteran in the typical sense of the word. Sure, he's been around for a while, but he's NEVER been a consistent starter. He seems like a guy that's still got a lot to learn himself.

This team and Freeman could benefit greatly from a veteran QB backing up and showing him things he's isn't seeing quick enough. It would need to be someone willing to accept the role as a backup.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 20, 2010, 11:59:50 AM

i don't know enough about him to know if that is true or not but considering it's the job of a backup qb to be able to come in and finish a game or keep us from completely tanking if it's for several games then Garcia would probably still fit the bill. and considering his future is looking like the UFL he might be willing to accept that role once again like he did with the Eagles. I'm also confident he could come in this late and learn the playbook quickly.

Supposedly...Garcia has had problems with this in the past....it was written that this is why the Eagles did not pursue him further.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 20, 2010, 12:01:36 PM

McCown threw 15 completions in a row in the one game where he had all of the starters. Even playing with backups, he still had the best QB rating of anyone on the team. Gruden benched him in favor of experience, bad experience. In the end, Garcia was allowed to walk. Even Gruden didn't want him back. He kept JJ though. I've always wondered what Gruden planned to do if he hadn't been fired. I doubt that he would have considered Freeman as a junior.

Did I mention Garcia?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#27 : August 20, 2010, 12:27:50 PM

Did I mention Garcia?

The poster child for whiners was Garcia. When you questioned McCown's character and team loyalty, the only logical reason would be you somehow confused him with Garcia. That doesn't make any sense at all, but stranger conclusions have been drawn from flimsier evidence. They both were on the same roster and played the same position.

You have a right to your opinion, but McCown never raised a stink about anything that ended up in the media. Garcia learned from TO and used the media to further his demands.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 20, 2010, 12:51:20 PM

When you questioned McCown's character and team loyalty,

Where did I do that?

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#29 : August 20, 2010, 01:01:31 PM

When you questioned McCown's character and team loyalty,

Where did I do that?

Reply #15.

The Bucs will not sign another QB unless JJ and Carpenter are so bad that they are forced to. They aren't at that point. An injury also could cause them to look elsewhere.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Veteran Backup QB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools