Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What I Didn't Like About Mike Williams Catch « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
: August 15, 2010, 06:38:27 PM

The 30 yard reception by Mike Williams was one of the highlights of the game but I am not totally sold. It was a good catch and a great throw but am I the only one who noticed there was almost no separation at all between him and the corner? His stutter stepping move off the snap was weak and he had no separation after that. I was happy about the throw Freeman made but I need to see a lot more to be impressed with Williams. I do believe(hope) that I will be impressed with him but I am not going around bragging about him yet.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 15, 2010, 06:42:35 PM

Disagree.....keeping his feet in was a thing of beauty.  He had enough space for Freeman to lay it in there.

#2 : August 15, 2010, 06:43:09 PM

well I hope he make 80-100 more plays that don't impress you.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 15, 2010, 06:44:26 PM

i loved how he was so confident to point at the ref.

i like this kid. hes going to bring some juice to this offense that we have sorly missed.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 15, 2010, 06:45:53 PM

Vonte Davis is a very good young corner. There's not always going to be separation. The important thing is he made the catch when the ball came his way. Freeman puttee ball up an trusted his wideout. Williams did what be was supposed to do and caugh the ball. I don't know what else you want?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 15, 2010, 06:46:51 PM

I love the after the first pre-season game threads. Penn lost his footing on one play, he sucks. Williams didn't get wide open on one play.....not so sure about him anymore. LOLOLOL. If I didn't laugh I would cry.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

#6 : August 15, 2010, 06:48:06 PM

but am I the only one who noticed there was almost no separation at all between him and the corner? His stutter stepping move off the snap was weak and he had no separation after that.

I watched both the FOX (Tampa Bay-Lynch & co) coverage and the NBC (Miami-Griese & co) coverage of that play. In the FOX coverage and replay, they didn't show much before the pass. But the NBC coverage showed he had 2-3 steps on the DB but slowed up because the pass was a little underthrown which allowed the DB to catch up. If the pass had been just slightly longer, it might have been a TD.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#7 : August 15, 2010, 06:49:11 PM

Yeah man...your on your own there I think.  Your right that the coverage was good, but Vontae Davis is a 1st round pick and is the Phins version of Aquib, and Williams still beat him on the play....he's gonna be awesome.

DKWEST

Starter

#8 : August 15, 2010, 06:52:12 PM

Since when did catching a ball with decent coverage become a bad thing?!?!?!?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#9 : August 15, 2010, 06:53:18 PM

but am I the only one who noticed there was almost no separation at all between him and the corner? His stutter stepping move off the snap was weak and he had no separation after that.

But the NBC coverage showed he had 2-3 steps on the DB but slowed up because the pass was a little underthrown which allowed the DB to catch up. If the pass had been just slightly longer, it might have been a TD.

Precisely.  That shows the instincts MW has as a WR.  He knew the CB was behind him and he used his body to shield the defender from the (slightly under-thrown) ball.

This part of the play was what excited me most, outside of the footwork on the sideline.

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 15, 2010, 06:53:38 PM

I guess he just wants our WR to have rocket shoes and have 20 yards of seperation.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 15, 2010, 06:54:24 PM

I watched both the FOX (Tampa Bay-Lynch & co) coverage and the NBC (Miami-Griese & co) coverage of that play. In the FOX coverage and replay, they didn't show much before the pass. But the NBC coverage showed he had 2-3 steps on the DB but slowed up because the pass was a little underthrown which allowed the DB to catch up. If the pass had been just slightly longer, it might have been a TD.

If thats true that it's my mistake for not noticing.

jjbjeff: who said there not sure about him anymore?  John galt took care of my concern anyway.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 15, 2010, 06:58:16 PM

OK, so the 1st round corner already has a year of NFL experience, and this was Mike Williams 1st exposure to a non-Buccaneers CB he had never played against anywhere before, and in his first NFL "game" with a QB he'd only ever practiced with this summer, and he didn't get huge seperation on his 1st downfield route. The important thing is he caught the ball. I'll take it ;D

#13 : August 15, 2010, 07:03:15 PM

If thats true that it's my mistake for not noticing.

jjbjeff: who said there not sure about him anymore? �John galt took care of my concern anyway.

Also keep in mind that V.Davis is one of the best young CBs in the league. I expect him to be a multiple probowler if he keeps just doing what he did last year (4 INTs, 11 PDs, and completely shut down Randy Moss)

s0uthFLbucfan

Starter

#14 : August 15, 2010, 07:17:22 PM

It's the nfl, people are not always going to be running around wide open. Williams had Vonte beat, and Freeman made a heck of a throw. Watch a colts game, im not comparing Freeman to Manning but Manning and Clark hook up in inch wide windows all the time. I think its a great thing that we have wideout who can make that type of catch, and a QB who is learning to throw that type of pass.

"We're going to be d--- good,"-
Kellen Winslow II. Novemeber 15, 2009
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What I Didn't Like About Mike Williams Catch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools