Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We need to stop the babying of our players...namely freeman « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

: August 16, 2010, 07:21:05 PM

It's cool and all that we got ourselves a franchise QB. However, he is not the best qb of all time. The best qb of all time currently plays for the colts, and he gets multiple possessions every pre-season game. Usually he comes out near the end of the 1st quarter...sometimes the second.....same with brady...same with brees..same with every other good qb that plays for a competent head coach. If these qb's aren't good enough to where they don't need reps, some of them even past their 10th year, than freeman, a 2nd year player who still hasn't proven anything certainly isn't good enough. Maybe...just maybe if he was in his 20th year and a future hall of famer like Favre he'd deserve to not play often in the pre-season. But again...he's not.

Same with guys like winslow....Really? Held out for precautionary reasons? The old time football greats are rolling in their graves.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#1 : August 16, 2010, 07:23:49 PM

It's cool and all that we got ourselves a franchise QB. However, he is not the best qb of all time. The best qb of all time currently plays for the colts, and he gets multiple possessions every pre-season game. Usually he comes out near the end of the 1st quarter...sometimes the second.....same with brady...same with brees..same with every other good qb that plays for a competent head coach. If these qb's aren't good enough to where they don't need reps, some of them even past their 10th year, than freeman, a 2nd year player who still hasn't proven anything certainly isn't good enough. Maybe...just maybe if he was in his 20th year and a future hall of famer like Favre he'd deserve to not play often in the pre-season. But again...he's not.

Same with guys like winslow....Really? Held out for precautionary reasons? The old time football greats are rolling in their graves.

I don't think old time football greats really care about pre-season other than Ditka who is contractually obligated to care about pre-season. Go out, play your snaps, get off.

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#2 : August 16, 2010, 07:24:13 PM

Well look at the guys you mentioned....Manning, Brees, and Brady are probably the 3 best QB's in the league at getting rid of the football, therefore avoiding big hits. Freeman is a young guy that runs around occassionally, so he really can't be trusted to keep himself healthy in the preseason.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#3 : August 16, 2010, 07:46:31 PM

We can also compare it to another 2nd year qb...stafford[who by the way looked amazing]...he played the entire 1st quarter.

This thread is in response to the new article where raheem and the pr guys seemed so confident and just thought their idea of only having one possession is just fine. They seem to think that because we have what we think is a franchise qb, that we can baby him. Sorry...the injury excuse doesn't cut it. Freeman's 6'6 250, and as far as I know has never been injured...not to mention both times he ran it he didn't even slide...I don't think he's too worried about getting injured.

We have an entirely new receiving corps, and a 2nd year QB...they should be getting atleast as many reps as EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Or I guess raheem just knows better than all these teams that finished higher than us last season.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 16, 2010, 07:48:31 PM

8/11 61 yards and a TD and INT is amazing?

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 16, 2010, 07:54:07 PM

That INT was a high tip off a receivers hands (or maybe Best I can't remember) but most of his throws were dump off's to Best.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#6 : August 16, 2010, 08:02:20 PM

The int bounced off the hands of the running back...so it easily could've been 9/11 1 td and 65 yards.

Stats don't matter in this case anyways....watch the game....he looks like manning in a lions uniform...same build, same perfect throwing motion, same effortless whipping of the ball down field with a perfect spiral, same ability to hit those 20 yard comebacks on the sidelines.....he's impressive.

#7 : August 16, 2010, 08:06:03 PM

We can also compare it to another 2nd year qb...stafford[who by the way looked amazing]...he played the entire 1st quarter.

This thread is in response to the new article where raheem and the pr guys seemed so confident and just thought their idea of only having one possession is just fine. They seem to think that because we have what we think is a franchise qb, that we can baby him. Sorry...the injury excuse doesn't cut it. Freeman's 6'6 250, and as far as I know has never been injured...not to mention both times he ran it he didn't even slide...I don't think he's too worried about getting injured.

We have an entirely new receiving corps, and a 2nd year QB...they should be getting atleast as many reps as EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Or I guess raheem just knows better than all these teams that finished higher than us last season.

First, Freeman was in for 2 possessions, not one.

Second, any more snaps JF gets are fewer snaps the backups get and they absolutely need it more.

Third, most teams play their starters very little in the 1st PS game, a little more in game 2, usually nearly a half in G3, and hardly any game 4 (where the bubble guys get most the snaps)

Finally, this thread is FAIL.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#8 : August 16, 2010, 08:06:27 PM

The int bounced off the hands of the running back...so it easily could've been 9/11 1 td and 65 yards.

Stats don't matter in this case anyways....watch the game....he looks like manning in a lions uniform...same build, same perfect throwing motion, same effortless whipping of the ball down field with a perfect spiral, same ability to hit those 20 yard comebacks on the sidelines.....he's impressive.

I don't know what game you were watching, but he certainly did not look like Manning in a lions uniform. That INT, although bouncing off Best's hands was a bad pass that was too far in front of him and too high. Like I said, most of his passes were dump offs.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 16, 2010, 08:07:09 PM

Gruden made the same mistake with Simms in 2006.   He didn't give him enough reps in the pre-season so he wasn't ready for the season.   He just started looking decent again by week 3 of the regular season then went out with a year ending injury.

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#10 : August 16, 2010, 08:11:06 PM

I don't know what game you were watching, but he certainly did not look like Manning in a lions uniform. That INT, although bouncing off Best's hands was a bad pass that was too far in front of him and too high. Like I said, most of his passes were dump offs.

Apparently I evaluate differently than you....I look at the fluidity of his throwing motion, the arm strength, the footwork, the build....he looks and throw exactly like peyton manning....does he have the same mental capacity? Time will tell...I'd still take him over freeman in a heartbeat.

And galt...so manning needs the reps more than freeman? if teams don't play their qb's that much during the first pre-season game....how come freeman had the least amount of reps of any starting QB?...since Morris is doing it differently than every other head coach in the league, you must agree with the statement that he's right and is therefor the best and most knowledgeable coach out there. That's kind of a bold statement Galt....you know, saying that morris is the best at what he does...I wouldn't go that far...but apparently you do.

You are what is fail, sir

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#11 : August 16, 2010, 08:13:26 PM

Gruden made the same mistake with Simms in 2006. He didn't give him enough reps in the pre-season so he wasn't ready for the season. He just started looking decent again by week 3 of the regular season then went out with a year ending injury.

exactly...we love to do things differently here in Tampa...and it never works.

Maybe we should start emulating what the good teams do....that's what these good teams did to get there in the first place

Hate

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 16, 2010, 08:13:43 PM

And what would you say if Freeman would have gotten hurt if he played more? I gurarante you would of made a thread blasting Raheem for playing him too much.

Under good conditions, i would've have Free5 play an entire half. If he gets hurt, so be it. He can get hurt in practice.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
#13 : August 16, 2010, 08:16:17 PM

And what would you say if Freeman would have gotten hurt if he played more? I gurarante you would of made a thread blasting Raheem for playing him too much.

Under good conditions, i would've have Free5 play an entire half. If he gets hurt, so be it. He can get hurt in practice.

+1

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

barberandbrooks

Practice Squad

#14 : August 16, 2010, 08:17:27 PM

There's a 100% chance he improves with reps and a <1% chance he gets hurt...I'll take those odds.

If we have to be scared every time he gets on the football field that he might get hurt, I wouldn't want him to be our QB anyway. Let him go out there and play football.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 13
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: We need to stop the babying of our players...namely freeman « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools