Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Moss to GB could be announced in the next 24-36 hours « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#30 : March 15, 2007, 11:43:19 AM

Here is how I see it.  The Raiders still want Russell.  Even if they trade Moss, I think Russell is their guy, and they are in the mode of thinking getting a solid #2 WR to compliment Porter (if not with Curry already) is easier than landing a QB with the "Franchise" sticker on his forehead.

Now the Lions will want to get Quinn, it will allow Orlovsky and Quinn to battle it out in the future, and either way, they have a pretty (theoretically) solid contingency plan in place should Orlovsky or Quinn not pan out once Kitna goes by the wayside.  The more I look at the Lions and their maneuvers, with Backus in there and them getting a couple of linemen in FA, it makes me think JT is not their guy.

THe Browns have a very very thin depth chart at QB.  After Frye, it is Anderson, who is basically a dud, and nobody worth noting.  But with the top 2 QBs gone, they will go after AP, because Lewis hasn't reestablished himself yet as a running back who dominates.  AP could be that guy, and with his pro day workout, he has solidified his value as such a guy.

That leaves Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson.

Now what do the Bucs do?  I know what I would do...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#31 : March 15, 2007, 11:43:39 AM

DTG, I don't follow the logic.

If AZ only wants JT, then not only has to worry about the Bucs but the Browns as well. AZ really would need to swap with the Lions to be sure.

And I get why AZ would like JT, but just like the Browns, they've got to have an eager eye on Adrian Peterson as well.

I think most of the league is convinced that the Browns will take AP or a QB. The coaches want AP, the FO wants them to take a QB. I don't see JT as a consideration for the Browns, unless we're all way wrong. Detroit could also take JT as well, thus meaning both Detroit and Arizona coveting Thomas.

That means, to me, if OAK takes CJ then the Bucs have to worry about DET taking JT. If Detroit passes on JT to take, let's say Quinn, then all of the sudden a trade to JT becomes much more realistic. I don't see AZ trading with Detroit but I certainly DO see them trading with CLE if JT is still on the board when CLE goes on the clock. If CLE is going either QB or AP, then they know that AZ will take neither, leaving only the Bucs to worry about if they move down and add another second round pick. CLE knows the Bucs will NOT take AP, so they'd only have to worry about the Bucs taking the remaining QB (in this case, Russell) so from their perspective they're still assured of getting one of the two players they covet and picking up a second rounder in the process.

CJ being on the board probably means AZ doesn't make that move, figuring Gruden will have a total stiffy for CJ.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 15, 2007, 11:45:32 AM

Russell will get picked bye the Raiders regardless.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 15, 2007, 11:49:12 AM

Perhaps so, though Al Davis hasn't taken a QB in the first round since 1991, and he was monumental bust.

watson

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 15, 2007, 11:53:03 AM

Are you wanting the Raiders to take CJ, dal?

Sure, I think that starts a cascade that helps us get the best possible outcome.

Dal,
And if JT is drafted prior to the Bucs turn, then it opens up a lot of other possibilities.  If one of the QBs is taken by Cleveland then the other QB will be sitting there to be taken or as trade bait.  If they take the QB then they have the QB of the future.  If there is a trade then it should provide additional opportunities to get more players to fill out the roster.  I think CJ will be a good player, but in the big scheme of things, this has the potential to be better for the Bucs

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#35 : March 15, 2007, 11:53:28 AM

I think they pretty much HAVE to take Russell. Seriously,  how much can CJ help them with Walter at QB and lets not forget that they gave Curry a nice extension last week with about $8 mil guaranteed.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 15, 2007, 11:54:21 AM

Well and a lot of the Russell talk is based on the "he wings the ball 60 yards" and the Raiders love that but the offense Kiffin has said he's gonna run ain't that offense. He said he's running our offense so I'm not sure that is as big a selling point as it might have been when they were a lot more vertical.

QB is still the smart selection for them but the Raiders aren't a very smart club.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucLord

Starter

#37 : March 15, 2007, 11:55:25 AM

Perhaps so, though Al Davis hasn't taken a QB in the first round since 1991, and he was monumental bust.

True, but he also has alot invested in Moss and getting a guy like Russell that is just a big dominating freakish QB would make Moss happy.

What would you rather have?

Aaron Rodgers and Calvin Johnson

or

JaMarcus Russell and Randy Moss?

I'll take the latter. I think we get our guy in CJ !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 15, 2007, 11:56:20 AM

Well and a lot of the Russell talk is based on the "he wings the ball 60 yards" and the Raiders love that but the offense Kiffin has said he's gonna run ain't that offense. He said he's running our offense so I'm not sure that is as big a selling point as it might have been when they were a lot more vertical.

QB is still the smart selection for them but the Raiders aren't a very smart club.

This is a very good point on the Raiders and Russell. Personally I want them to take Russell just in effort to get us to land JT or CJ.

There is still so much smoke out there...

Baghead #2

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 15, 2007, 11:56:27 AM

S

And if JT is drafted prior to the Bucs turn, then it opens up a lot of other possibilities.  If one of the QBs is taken by Cleveland then the other QB will be sitting there to be taken or as trade bait.  If they take the QB then they have the QB of the future.

Yeah since my board would be Thomas, Quinn, Russell, Adams, Calvin having Calvin fall off the board earlier leaves us with more high value positions and players at those spots to pick from. There's no way I'm crying if we leave this draft with passer, pass blocker or pass rusher.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : March 15, 2007, 11:57:17 AM

True, but he also has alot invested in Moss and getting a guy like Russell that is just a big dominating freakish QB would make Moss happy.

Did you miss the part where the Faders want to unload Moss?

BucLord

Starter

#41 : March 15, 2007, 12:06:07 PM

Did you miss the part where the Faders want to unload Moss?

I'm sure they were at one point, and it has been confirmed that talks with GB has been discussed. But what you need to consider is that it was'nt Oakland that contacted the Packers it was the other way around. If you recall last month and it was repoted that Favre was the one that had asked the Packers FO to try and deal for Moss. I'm sure any club is willing to at least listen to offers.

I think after Russells great workout that the whole Moss to GB is all but dead. Hey listen, Moss is still only 30 and I wouldnt be surprised if he had Russell that he does'nt get back to his old self and put up 1600 yards and 13 TD's

Remember, Kerry "Of all people" Collins who had a cannon for an arm was lighting up the NFL with Moss 2 years ago and were leading the NFL in both passing and recieving until Moss was hurt in week 5. Last year for Oakland was a complete mess. Art Shell and whatever that OC they had really sucked.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

BucLord

Starter

#42 : March 15, 2007, 12:10:33 PM

Adam Schefter By Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

Adam Schefter's "Around the League" reports and commentaries can be seen regularly on NFL Total Access.

(March 13, 2007) -- Oakland dealt with enough misery last season. Wednesday represents the hope.

In front of a contingent of Raiders officials, LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell will work out at the school's Pro Day and demonstrate the talents that already have Oakland salivating.

The Raiders are enamored not just with Russell's ability to throw the long ball, but to make every type of throw -- short ones, midrange ones and especially the deep ones.

But the 6-foot-6, 260-pound Russell is about more than just his arm. He is considered remarkably strong for a quarterback, with great balance, quickness, nimbleness -- all the skills that make him the overwhelming favorite and near cinch to the first overall pick on in the draft.

Now, the suspense is not over whether Russell will go No. 1. The suspense is over whether Oakland wide receiver Randy Moss will play with him there.

Despite the rampant speculation that only seems to be building, nobody knows, not even those in Oakland.

The Raiders believe that Moss could develop into Russell's go-to weapon, the way he was in Minnesota with former Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

But there also is a feeling within the Raiders organization that Oakland's new head coach, Lane Kiffin, could make his boldest statement to date by dealing Moss and sending a message to the rest of the players about who is in charge.

In the days and weeks to come, the Raiders ultimately could decide that message is more important than the compensation they receive in return for Moss, though Oakland owner Al Davis unquestionably will demand plenty in return for his mercurial receiver.

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#43 : March 15, 2007, 12:14:25 PM

do you think the raiders could get rodgers in a trade, then maybe trade him somewhere else and still draft russell?

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#44 : March 15, 2007, 12:14:51 PM

Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss.
New mock top 5
1. CJ.
2. JR
3. AP and/or BQ
4. maybe BQ, JT, or even GA. You never know with Gruden, he'll make the call at 14 minutes and 55 seconds.
5. Who cares?

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Moss to GB could be announced in the next 24-36 hours « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools