Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sorry Bruce « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« : March 15, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »

One of Allen's favorite little FU's to people might be going away:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

We've learned about another topic that the owners will take up later this month in Arizona, when they convene for the 2007 Annual Meeting. 

Of the resolutions to be presented, one measure would identify coordinators as a distinct tier of the coaching staff, and would require that assistant coaches under contract be permitted to interview for coordinator jobs with other teams.

The league's current rule is one of the great injustices in the sport, in our view.  Positions coaches -- like Rod Marinelli when he was the defensive line coach in Tampa -- can be blocked from interviewing for a coordinator job if they are under contract with their current teams.  Several teams (most notably the Buccaneers) consistently decline permission in these circumstances.

But in an industry that is based on the notion that every position short of head coach is merely a stopover toward a greater goal, it makes no sense to tie the hands of the guys who are trying to make the climb.

<insert rationalizations and justifications of something if your boss did to you you'd be super pissed about>

About time they make this distinction and now if they just acknowledge that assistant head coach isn't a real title anyone cares about we'll be on the fast road.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

« #1 : March 15, 2007, 11:03:30 AM »

Anyone else think Bruce's sister is kinda hot?

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #2 : March 15, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »

Never really seen her before, Shivver...

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #3 : March 15, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »

Dalbuc - I'm not a big fan of the policy, because I think over the long haul it makes it harder to attract talent.

That said, let's get real - in the NFL, players don't have freedom of movement that the asst. coaches want to demand as a right. Matt Schaub can't say - "I'm tired of sitting of behind Ron Mexico," I'm going to be a starter elsewhere.

If you don't like the deal, sign your contract accordingly.

SHIVVER

Pro Bowler

« #4 : March 15, 2007, 11:16:32 AM »

She works for the NFL Network, Jennifer Allen (i think).  On yesterday's episode of NFL Total Access, she interviews coaches wives, Ms. Gruden, Ms. Del Rio, Ms. Fox and Ms. Edwards.  Holy CRAP, John Fox's wife looks like a werewolf!  Ms. Gruden is kinda brash and loud mouthed, just like Johnny!!!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 15, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 15, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

I think it makes a lot of sense to change this rule.  No reason to hold deserving people back.  It makes sense to allow the current team to ask for a pick, though.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 15, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

Not bad, Shivver, I can agree.  Found a clip on the Lions website of her interviewing Rod.  Very classy woman.

calicojack

Starter
« #8 : March 15, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »

I don't see any great injustice.  Contracts eventually run out and coaching jobs are always opening up.

When a team loses a key player to free agency, there is compensation in form of a draft pick.  How are teams going to be compensated for losing coaches?

The Dream Team

whobdis

Pro Bowler

« #9 : March 15, 2007, 11:39:05 AM »

Frankly I want Bruce Allen (or whoever the GM is) to use whatever legal means necessary to make
the team better.  He wouldn't be doing his job if he says 'well..I want to be a nice guy about it' and look
the other way. And you can bet  if he did there would someone post 'WHY IS HE LETTING THESE GUYS GET
AWAY'.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
« #10 : March 15, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »

I agree that coordinators should have a different tier, but Marinelli was an assistant head coach. They gave him that title so that he could have a promotion even with Kiffin around.   Assistant head coach should be at the same tier as DC or OC.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #11 : March 15, 2007, 11:49:58 AM »

I think the league is watered down enough with coaches and players going all over the place every year already.  No need to water it down even further. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 15, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »

I agree that coordinators should have a different tier, but Marinelli was an assistant head coach. They gave him that title so that he could have a promotion even with Kiffin around.   Assistant head coach should be at the same tier as DC or OC.

No, because that is not a real title. No one hires you because you are the assistant head coach. It is a fake title teams use to give guys more money. Have you ever seen an assistant head coach/position coach want to turn down the coordinator role? Of course not, everyone knows it is a bump up but the owners don't want to raise the salary bar for all position coaches so they add that title on and claim that that's why they are getting more jack.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

sma2680

Practice Squad

« #13 : March 15, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »

It is based on the circumstances.  You can't let your whole staff go in a one or two year period.  One of the big reasons Marty got canned is for letting so much of his staff go, he lost some key position assistants who would have replaced Phillips and Cameron.  I think it is a good policy if someone is up for promotion to let them interview...if the organization can afford it.  But you can't loose your D-line coach, LB coach, and secondary coach all in the same year.

sma2680

Practice Squad

« #14 : March 15, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »

No, because that is not a real title. No one hires you because you are the assistant head coach. It is a fake title teams use to give guys more money. Have you ever seen an assistant head coach/position coach want to turn down the coordinator role? Of course not, everyone knows it is a bump up but the owners don't want to raise the salary bar for all position coaches so they add that title on and claim that that's why they are getting more jack.

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think Marinelli would.  I remember his hiring press conference in Detroit and in response to a question of why he felt he was qualified for being a HC, he stated that his role as assistant head coach really prepared him.  He was supposedly actively involved in team organization and personell and practice structure under that title, so maybe they do treat it differently, at least in Tampa.  I always thought it was a little bonus in title and cash to keep an assistant on staff...but seems like it might be more.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Sorry Bruce « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools