Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need a NEW MLB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

: August 23, 2010, 10:53:16 AM

Barrett Ruud is an abomination at his position. I just got done re-watching the Chiefs game and was totally focused on the defense and Ruud is a weakness to the team, not a strength. Teams are flat out running AT Ruud at will. Watch the tape, and you'll see why the Bucs can't defend the run. Ruud gets manhandled vs the FB(last game was Mike Cox) EVERY single run play. Ruud has ZERO block shedding ability. You will never be a good MLB if opposing teams fullbacks can just neaturalize the QB of the defense. There are no offensive linemen blocking Ruud, just NFL fullbacks. That's beyond pitiful because he never sheds the block.

You wanna watch great MLB play? Try to get a copy of the 49ers vs Vikings game. Patrick Willis is unblocked and able to shutdown AP/Gerhart because he can beat his man, which is the FB.

Do not give Ruud a new contract until his block shedding improves and he actually makes a play. Our run defense will be a problem until we get a beast in the middle that can beat his man and get after RB's. End of rant

With that being said get use to hearing the names Donta Hightower and Greg Jones!

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#1 : August 23, 2010, 11:05:57 AM

I can see it come!!!   How can Barrett Ruud be that bad. He has  led the team in tackles last couple of years???

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 23, 2010, 11:07:29 AM

Teams have been running at Ruud for years. He's like former NBA center Shawn Bradley. Running backs go out of their ways to 'posterize' Ruud like Vince Carter dunking on Bradley.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 23, 2010, 11:11:45 AM

Ruud has ZERO block shedding ability. You will never be a good MLB if opposing teams fullbacks can just neaturalize the QB of the defense. There are no offensive linemen blocking Ruud, just NFL fullbacks. That's beyond pitiful because he never sheds the block.

I agree that shedding blocks is a huge weakness for Ruud.  That being said, there were several plays where he was taken out by the center, not the FB

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 23, 2010, 11:11:56 AM

Great analogy, I agree.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 23, 2010, 11:16:30 AM

Teams have been running at Ruud for years. He's like former NBA center Shawn Bradley. Running backs go out of their ways to 'posterize' Ruud like Vince Carter dunking on Bradley.

You don't mean Center/Star of the movie "Space Jam" do you? But, he's the greatest athlete/actor to grace our earth!

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 23, 2010, 11:44:24 AM

Ruud has ZERO block shedding ability. You will never be a good MLB if opposing teams fullbacks can just neaturalize the QB of the defense. There are no offensive linemen blocking Ruud, just NFL fullbacks. That's beyond pitiful because he never sheds the block.

I agree that shedding blocks is a huge weakness for Ruud. That being said, there were several plays where he was taken out by the center, not the FB
Uh okay there were times the center did block Ruud but the point is, Ruud gets dismantled by the FB every play. Wake me up when he sheds a block to make a tackle before the running back is 5-6 yards up the field. I'll be sleeping good.

General Alstott

Rookie

#7 : August 23, 2010, 12:51:18 PM

I'll wake you up in the first quarter of the this regular season. log off and get some sleep until then.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#8 : August 23, 2010, 01:44:22 PM

I have long been a Ruud defender...I'm beginning for have my doubts about him.  He's a smart guy, but he may not be physical enough to put down the hardnosed RB's.

DailyRich68

Starter
#9 : August 23, 2010, 01:57:18 PM

I can see it come!!!   How can Barrett Ruud be that bad. He has  led the team in tackles last couple of years???

Where are those tackles taking place though?

T

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 23, 2010, 02:01:11 PM

Unfortunately you can't teach toughness, and Ruud just doesn't have the toughness to be a great MLB in the NFL

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#11 : August 23, 2010, 02:29:04 PM

I'll wake you up in the first quarter of the this regular season. log off and get some sleep until then.
After you wipe your chin and wash your hands after Mr. Ruud is through with you............

The verbal suckage of Ruud is clearly indicated in your post. Just thought I'd let you know.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#12 : August 23, 2010, 02:32:36 PM

Well, in fairness the defensive line didn't play great, but I am inclined to agree.  When matched up against a full back, Ruud should win more than 50% of the time, but if he is being neutralized at a rate that is near 90% of the time that isn't good for a starting caliber mike at the NFL level.

The problem is Ruud doesn't use his hands to shed blocks, or use leverage, but tries to use speed.  Speed can work beating the block of a slower footed OL, but against full backs who are more nimble it is futile to do so. 

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 23, 2010, 02:40:55 PM

Well, in fairness the defensive line didn't play great, but I am inclined to agree. When matched up against a full back, Ruud should win more than 50% of the time, but if he is being neutralized at a rate that is near 90% of the time that isn't good for a starting caliber mike at the NFL level.

The problem is Ruud doesn't use his hands to shed blocks, or use leverage, but tries to use speed. Speed can work beating the block of a slower footed OL, but against full backs who are more nimble it is futile to do so.
QFT. Why hasn't he tried to improve or try a different technique? What in the hell is Joe Barry watching on film to allow Ruud to continue his current technique? It'll cost us again this year.

Bottom 20 rush defense

john.matincheck

Starter

#14 : August 23, 2010, 02:43:19 PM

Okay I in no way want to defend Ruud because I think he lacks the mean streak and explosiveness needed to be an elite MLB. However if FB and Centers etc are getting clean blocks on him that is more of an inditement of the scheme or the line in front of him than his play. If you have ever watched the Ravens you notice Ray Lewis almost never gets blocked. He has historically been free to run unblocked and make big hits. The one or two down years of his career all he did was **CENSORED** about the line not allowing him to run free.

In the Bucs one gap scheme Ruud is responsible for "one gap", he should be taking on the block  and shutting down his gap and a safety(a la Lynch in his heyday) should be coming up unblocked to make a big hit on inside runs. In the Bucs scheme Ruud is strongly discouraged from running around a block because that gives the running back a two way go and creates huge running lanes. So Ruud doesn't suck but he isn't great and never will be.

What Ruud is:
Technically Sound
Try Hard never give up guy
Good in Coverage
Relatively sure tackler

What Ruud is not:
Explosive
Intimidating
Good Blitzer

This scheme isn't designed to highlight the MLB, the WIL should be the guy that is free to run and make the big splash plays in this defense.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need a NEW MLB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools