Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need a NEW MLB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 23, 2010, 02:59:20 PM

The biggest complaint of Bates scheme was that the full backs, and centers were able to head up field to cleanly block Ruud.  Well now with the change back to this scheme the defensive lineman are not exactly attacking their gaps meticulously, but I haven't seen a jail break of the center upfield like we saw with the Bates scheme (I honestly thought that was an unfair criticism of Bates defensive scheme).

As a Tampa 2 mike, Ruud is indeed responsible for a gap, but you forget that the Tampa 2 is designed for BOTH the WILL, and the MIKE to make plays as they are funneled to them. The WILL is a beneficiary of most plays being funneled towards him while the Mike secondary.   Which is why there is a direct correlations to the number of tackles a WILL, on average will make, versus a Mike, and then the SAM.  Usually the WILL will have roughly 110% more tackles than the Mike, while the SAM will have about 33% tackles of the Mike (usually a SAM is taken off the field for nickel situation).

So yes the scheme requires gap discipline initially, but you have to get off your block to make a play once in position.  Roy Miller hit his gap early in the first half, but came off the block to make a tackle on the ball carrier.  Ruud has to do that because that is part of being a Mike LB.  If he want an opportunity to be able to run around to flow to the ball uncontested, then he would be better suited as a WILL.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 23, 2010, 03:15:48 PM

If he want an opportunity to be able to run around to flow to the ball uncontested, then he would be better suited as a WILL.
He's definitely better suited as a WLB because he just can't make tackles head-up. He's at his best in lateral pursuit hitting a ball carrier from the side.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 23, 2010, 03:16:58 PM

He's at his best in lateral pursuit hitting a ball carrier from the side.

This is absolutely true.  It seems to be his preference at least.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 23, 2010, 03:56:04 PM

Bum is great on one area of the field - the sidelines!!!  No, not when we are on the field but standing there adjusting his jock as the cup is up his behind and he has a wedgie!!!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 23, 2010, 04:33:17 PM

You know I've been saying for a long time that Ruud can't get off a solid blocker. That's a huge weakness in the run defense. I like the guy, but it's a huge weakness...

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#20 : August 23, 2010, 04:35:55 PM

Ruud = SUCKING is nothing person, it just is what it is.  Its just too bad he cannot look at himself in the mirror and say Bum, you suck not lets do something about it and man up.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#21 : August 23, 2010, 04:38:45 PM

lmao.... dude, u are killin me!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : August 23, 2010, 06:15:47 PM

C'mon Samari - quit the dancing around - what do you think about Ruud?  Get off the fence!  LOL

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Hate

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 23, 2010, 06:25:22 PM

C'mon Samari - quit the dancing around - what do you think about Ruud? Get off the fence! LOL

You should've heard him at the game. He's in rare form as of late.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 23, 2010, 06:26:20 PM

Watching that game - I can only imagine.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Guy Fontenot

Rookie

#25 : August 23, 2010, 06:34:35 PM

I can see it come!!!

That's what she... aw never mind

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 23, 2010, 06:58:26 PM

LSU's Kelvin Sheppard, Auburn's Josh Bynes, and there is another Mathews brother at Oregon(Casey).  These guys can probably be got in the 2 or 3rd.  Or there is Quan Sturdivant from NC, who is probably a 1st rounder.  Kiper has him rated #1 MLB.  Anyone got the straight poop on these guys?

lowlife

Starter
#27 : August 23, 2010, 07:03:43 PM

Greg Jones should be a Buccaneer

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 23, 2010, 08:23:05 PM

OK I finally got a video replay of the game and watched Ruud a lot. Despite what some say in his deense about centers or FB or anyone else getting on Ruud, I watched 3 very specific plays where Ruud went UNTOUCHED. He shuffled down the line, the RB cut in and Ruud had over pursued and had to come back and make the tackle 6-8 yards down field. Again, not a single person (Chief or Buc) came within 2 feet of Ruud, he simply played it wrong.

In fact, the thing I noticed the most about Ruud play was that he does not like to get dirty. He will not plug a hole with force. Instead he tries to do some dance or junk to get around people. I don't think I saw him even try to blow up a single run. I use to support Ruud, I really did. but I think we have a simple rerun of Jamie Duncan.

But he has the year to fix it or prove otherwise. But I think MLB could be a top 3 pick next year.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#29 : August 23, 2010, 08:30:09 PM

OK I finally got a video replay of the game and watched Ruud a lot. Despite what some say in his deense about centers or FB or anyone else getting on Ruud, I watched 3 very specific plays where Ruud went UNTOUCHED. He shuffled down the line, the RB cut in and Ruud had over pursued and had to come back and make the tackle 6-8 yards down field. Again, not a single person (Chief or Buc) came within 2 feet of Ruud, he simply played it wrong.

In fact, the thing I noticed the most about Ruud play was that he does not like to get dirty. He will not plug a hole with force. Instead he tries to do some dance or junk to get around people. I don't think I saw him even try to blow up a single run. I use to support Ruud, I really did. but I think we have a simple rerun of Jamie Duncan.

But he has the year to fix it or prove otherwise. But I think MLB could be a top 3 pick next year.
Lets give Jamie Duncan a new contract! Where are the Ruud chest pounders?

Greg Jones should be a Buccaneer
I agree, Jones is an excellent blitzer and a very fast MLB. He shoots the gaps with force and makes the play before it happens. He is a bit undersized at 235-240 but he should be fine if he can just uses his pure quickness to beat the blocks. There is no FB quick enough to be able to block him head on.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs need a NEW MLB « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools