Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Bucs bringing in Saints DE Charles Grant for a visit! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

Fresh

Hall of Famer

: March 15, 2007, 10:08:56 PM

Itch - 9+ for Rice, 4 mill I believe for Spires, 7+ mill for Grant - 20 mil in DEs and not an elite one in the group. That is about 20% of the cap. Too much for me.
what if we cut Spires?

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 16, 2007, 05:20:30 PM

Hows this for a fair trade: a player and the 35th overall pick, maybe throw the 64th in there? The player would need to cover a Saint need, like Michael Clayton or Rhonde Barber, Brian Kelly.

How about Mike Alstott?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : March 15, 2007, 10:03:57 PM

You are assuming Rice and Spires stays if they bring in Grant.  Rice will be gone if Grant is acquired. 8)

And in my opinion most of the cap money should go to the o-line and d-line anyways. ;)

tpa008

Rookie
#3 : March 15, 2007, 08:44:34 PM

BUCS BRINGING IN GRANT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bringing in Saints defensive end Charles Grant for a visit.

The significance?  Grant carries the Saints' franchise tag.

By rule, Grant may sign an offer sheet with any other team.  If the Saints should opt not to match, they would receive two first-round picks as compensation.

Such an outcome is highly unlikely, since the Bucs hold the fourth overall pick.  And trading down before signing Grant isn't an option; the Bucs must give up their own first-rounder, not someone else's.

The more likely outcome is that, if the Bucs decide to make a play for Grant, Tampa and New Orleans will work out a trade.  And with the Bucs potentially going for broke in 2007 under coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen, both of whom might be gone by next year, we wouldn't rule out a package including the Bucs' third-round pick in 2007 and a conditional pick in 2008.

per pft.com

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 15, 2007, 08:46:01 PM

Why would a divisonal rival even consider a trade like that? :D

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#5 : March 15, 2007, 08:48:08 PM

no..........Calais Campbell of Miami will be the 1st DE took off the board. Draft him next year...
anyways,so what would we have to giveup for him if we aren't giving up a #4 overall?

I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#6 : March 15, 2007, 08:52:41 PM

I think this is prep work for next year.  Build a relationship with the guy and he might be more likely to come here next offseason.  I think it is highly unlikely we would give up the amount of picks it would take to a division rival.

scope88

Starter

#7 : March 15, 2007, 08:57:25 PM

It is just to make people think we are looking for another DE. So when the draft comes around, if we haven't gotten another DE by then, people might think we are looking heavily on Gaines Adams. Just another trick to help CJ fall to us.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : March 15, 2007, 09:29:27 PM

I'm thinking that maybe the word is getting around that some of these franchise tags were done with a quick trade in mind.  Teams may figure that even though they don't want to pay the franchise tag, they can get a quick 3rd round pick out of it instead of getting nothing by letting the guy walk.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : March 15, 2007, 09:32:56 PM

That makes as much sense as anything I have read Itch - but PFT says a 3rd, a conditional and still pay a franchise tag.  Nope.  Grant is a nice - but average DE.  No to two picks and still overpaying.  The third and pay the guy okay - or better yet get a contract that is far less damage to the cap and gets the bucs some years of service.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#10 : March 15, 2007, 09:34:13 PM

That makes as much sense as anything I have read Itch - but PFT says a 3rd, a conditional and still pay a franchise tag. Nope. Grant is a nice - but average DE. No to two picks and still overpaying. The third and pay the guy okay - or better yet get a contract that is far less damage to the cap and gets the bucs some years of service.

I would say he's above average.  His sack numbers didn't drop off until they moved him to LE.  He might have to play one season there with us, but even then he's an upgrade over Spires.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#11 : March 15, 2007, 09:34:22 PM

I'm thinking that maybe the word is getting around that some of these franchise tags were done with a quick trade in mind. Teams may figure that even though they don't want to pay the franchise tag, they can get a quick 3rd round pick out of it instead of getting nothing by letting the guy walk.
a 3rd rounder and an '08 conditonal pick would be a good trade for us. But we would be in the bottom of cap room next year

dm4bucs

Starter
#12 : March 15, 2007, 09:43:03 PM

I agree it could be just setting up work for next year and maybe get more people on teams talking about our training facility to get the word out...

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#13 : March 15, 2007, 09:48:20 PM

I'm not sure the cap room would be the biggest problem. It could be more the inequity in pay between the new guy and the old guard.  Brian Kelly gets pennies relatively.  Quarles is being pushed out because of his contract.  I think it would be the right move.  You get a good player and thats the market.  These old guys on the team may have won a Superbowl but nothing is forever.  You gotta redo Kelly or trade him in this circumstance. He's going to be steaming.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#14 : March 15, 2007, 09:58:10 PM

Itch - 9+ for Rice, 4 mill I believe for Spires, 7+ mill for Grant - 20 mil in DEs and not an elite one in the group.  That is about 20% of the cap.  Too much for me.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Bucs bringing in Saints DE Charles Grant for a visit! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools