Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Marcellus Wiley Ranks Josh Freeman in the bottom 5 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

BucNasty24

Second String

« : August 25, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »

I was listening to ESPN Radio this morning and they were talking to Herm Edwards about the 3 qualities he uses to rate a QB.  He said:

1.  Ability to run a 2 minute offense
2.  Red Zone Management
3.  3rd Down Passing

They then for some reason decided to rate the bottom 5 guys in this category.  So Wiley names Delhomme, Matt Moore, Matt Leinart, and Trent Edwards, and then he goes "I had 6 so I gotta narrow it down, and I'm gonna go with Josh Freeman, just because he's a step below Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford"

Absolutely amazing.  Frankly I could care less, but I'm just sick of lazy journalism.  If you rating a fantasy football QB I can see Freeman in the bottom 5.  But this kid led comebacks against the Packers and Super Bowl Champion Saints, and based on the criteria putting him in the bottom 5 is a joke.  I usually like Wiley too.  But he didn't include Alex Smith, Dennis Dixon, Sam Bradford, etc.  It makes no sense at all.  I really hope Freeman is 100% for opening day because I really want to see him silence the critics.

DailyRich68

Starter
« #1 : August 25, 2010, 07:56:08 AM »

<Insert the "Freeman had better stats than Sanchez and Stafford last year" argument>

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

« #2 : August 25, 2010, 08:01:19 AM »

Dat Dude is off his rocker. Then again we don't have any real evidence of what the season will bring so I'll just write it off to preseason hype (or lack thereof).

IMO Freeman will be better than that.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

« #3 : August 25, 2010, 08:24:58 AM »

4th Qtr QB Rating:

Freeman: 62.2
Stafford: 44.6
Sanchez: 42.3

3rd Down QB Rating:

Freeman: 55.9
Stafford: 40.6
Sanchez: 58.0

Not sure why anyone would think that Freeman is a step below those other two.  The stats say he isn't, and just watching him should be enough for anyone to realize that he is clearly the best of the 3. 

RHBucsFan

Pro Bowler

« #4 : August 25, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

Freeman is one of only a handful of unproven starters in the league. There just isn't enough tape out there on him. He WILL be better than this, but for now, hard to argue much against it. He just hasn't played enough to be rated really high.

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

« #5 : August 25, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »

Freeman is one of only a handful of unproven starters in the league. There just isn't enough tape out there on him. He WILL be better than this, but for now, hard to argue much against it. He just hasn't played enough to be rated really high.

Yup.

It also dosen't help that the only thing a lot of people remember about his 2009 season (outside of the Bucs fan community) is the multiple red-zone interceptions against Carolina.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

« #6 : August 25, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »

You look at Marcellus Wiley up there talking about quarterback play. The guy was a defensive end for a few years in the league. He's not any good.
~Aaron Rodgers

Source: http://www.thesportsbank.net/green-bay-packers/aarons-rodgers-rips-nfl-notables-on-espn-radio/

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

« #7 : August 25, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »

I don't have any issue with him not being rated very high in general.  Have an issue when people say the other two QB's are clearly better than him.  There is no evidence to make that statement.  

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #8 : August 25, 2010, 08:33:21 AM »

Herm Edwards was part of that same discussion and he said he pretty much agreed with Wiley.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

« #9 : August 25, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »

It's ESPN. They don't need evidence. It's enough to fill a segment or two and that's plenty as far as they're concerned.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #10 : August 25, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »

Hand me a microphone and an audience and I can randomly spew out names, too.

ktownbuc47

Pro Bowler
« #11 : August 25, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »

It is what it is until Freeman steps on the field and shuts them up. Too many folks on this board getting their panties in a bunch over what the national media is saying. When the real bullets start to fly in a couple weeks we will see what this team and it's players and coaching staff and fans for that matter are really made of, until then it's all speculation.

Why do you necessarily have to be wrong just because a few million people think you are?

zepkin

Second String

« #12 : August 25, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »

ESPN has really fallen in their football coverage and knowledge.  NFL Network is a much better place to get good football information.

Get off the Poopdeck!

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

« #13 : August 25, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »

Other than watching the actual games, TV is a very outdated medium when analyzing sports.

BucNasty24

Second String

« #14 : August 25, 2010, 09:10:56 AM »

It is what it is until Freeman steps on the field and shuts them up. Too many folks on this board getting their panties in a bunch over what the national media is saying. When the real bullets start to fly in a couple weeks we will see what this team and it's players and coaching staff and fans for that matter are really made of, until then it's all speculation.

It's more of just the fact that I can't stand lazy journalism in the media.  It's so clear when guys are simply looking at a statsheet or going with the popular opinion.  How about providing some actual insight?  If someone has an opinion I don't like, fine.  But its flat out wrong to say Freeman is below Stafford and Sanchez and it really does bother me.  Frankly I love Freeman's attitude and stuff like this should only fuel the fire.  Obviously he needs to prove it on the field, but its hard not to be impressed with him.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Marcellus Wiley Ranks Josh Freeman in the bottom 5 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools