Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs most active team in FA « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucLord

Starter

#30 : March 16, 2007, 01:57:33 PM

Buclord

Why must you look at the potential negative side of these aquisitions.  Garcia is a major upgrade at the QB position.  He understands the concepts, will provide sorely needed leadership and fire to the offense, make quick decisions, and get the ball to correct players.  Carter is a versatile, durable player and there is no question he improves our D-Line.  I'm certain the Bucs' doctors gave Luke P. everything but a bend over, spread them, and cough exam.  I trust their judgement and you should too.  If A.D. can make the move to LG then our line will be a vastly improved line in both the running and passing game.  As for Sammy Davis, he had great physical tools coming into the NFL.  Maybe with a change in team and defensive scheme he will be able to flourish.  Some of these guys are short term solutions because of the numerous drafts picks that we haven't had in recent years.  I'm certain that this draft we will acquire young guys to take over in a year or two for some of the veterans we acquired.  What are the alternatives?  Sign as many high priced free agents as we can because they are in their twenties thus creating cap problems in the future.  The other extreme would be to start all the players we draft in the first 5 rounds and get younger.  IMO, neither one of these options is viable to balancing winning now and building for the future.  I give the Bucs a solid B in FA. 

I dont have a problem with Garcia, thats the only move I'd give them credit for, only problem I have with the Garcia signing his him starting instead of Rattay. Rattay showed good stuff towards the end of last year I thought, he's younger than Garcia and it should be between Simms and Rattay as to who gets the job. What I'm tired of is all this crap we keep bringing in that never pans out and we keep wasting and stunting the growth of our future for a "win now" approach that Gruden has that clearly is not working

Lets be honest, who has the great offensive guru Johnny boy brought in the last 4 years via FA thats been worth a damn? Can anyone tell me?

Chris Hovan & Galloway is all I can think of. 2 guys the last 4 years that have panned out. For every Hovan some of you try and pull outta yer butts I can show you 10 Garners, Browns, Fonoti etc..

Johnny boy's record in FA has been a complete failure, and his drafting is'nt far behind that too. Dump that midget and lets get a real coach in here that will clean house and start to build this team up again which we shoulda been doing 2 years ago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 16, 2007, 02:06:23 PM

two years ago when we won the division? 

BucLord

Starter

#32 : March 16, 2007, 02:11:14 PM

Johnny boy knows he's setting this team back 5 years, he was busted trying to high tail it in the middle of the night

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia

It's always about Marcia

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 16, 2007, 02:14:55 PM

That is a funny picture.  But since when did Little Napolean grow 3 feet?

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 16, 2007, 02:20:39 PM

And one of the worst in it too

Grade?

C-

considering that the bucs have grabbed the best QB in FA, the best OL not demanding silly guaranteed money, and a guy who produced more sacks than anyone on our team last year, yeah, i'd say we've been pretty poor.

i especially hate how we've set ourselves up to have a great cap situation next year despite being the most active player in FA so far this year.

I dont have a problem with Garcia, thats the only move I'd give them credit for, only problem I have with the Garcia signing his him starting instead of Rattay. Rattay showed good stuff towards the end of last year I thought, he's younger than Garcia and it should be between Simms and Rattay as to who gets the job. What I'm tired of is all this crap we keep bringing in that never pans out and we keep wasting and stunting the growth of our future for a "win now" approach that Gruden has that clearly is not working

Lets be honest, who has the great offensive guru Johnny boy brought in the last 4 years via FA thats been worth a damn? Can anyone tell me?

Chris Hovan & Galloway is all I can think of. 2 guys the last 4 years that have panned out. For every Hovan some of you try and pull outta yer butts I can show you 10 Garners, Browns, Fonoti etc..

Johnny boy's record in FA has been a complete failure, and his drafting is'nt far behind that too. Dump that midget and lets get a real coach in here that will clean house and start to build this team up again which we shoulda been doing 2 years ago.

tim rattay? you've got to be kidding.  he had one good game in Chicago, then barely beat one of only 3 teams worse than us followed by a showing so sub-par that if there were a 5th QB on the roster he'd have been called into action.

4 years is a convenient cutoff for that evaluation, isn't it? even then the only people who you can point to who were busts that were expected to contribute meaningfully (i.e. starter or near-starter production) are garner, deese, and steussie. everyone else was either a flyer or signed as depth. 

klb55

Starter

#35 : March 16, 2007, 02:42:46 PM

Buclord

Why must you look at the potential negative side of these aquisitions. Garcia is a major upgrade at the QB position. He understands the concepts, will provide sorely needed leadership and fire to the offense, make quick decisions, and get the ball to correct players. Carter is a versatile, durable player and there is no question he improves our D-Line. I'm certain the Bucs' doctors gave Luke P. everything but a bend over, spread them, and cough exam. I trust their judgement and you should too. If A.D. can make the move to LG then our line will be a vastly improved line in both the running and passing game. As for Sammy Davis, he had great physical tools coming into the NFL. Maybe with a change in team and defensive scheme he will be able to flourish. Some of these guys are short term solutions because of the numerous drafts picks that we haven't had in recent years. I'm certain that this draft we will acquire young guys to take over in a year or two for some of the veterans we acquired. What are the alternatives? Sign as many high priced free agents as we can because they are in their twenties thus creating cap problems in the future. The other extreme would be to start all the players we draft in the first 5 rounds and get younger. IMO, neither one of these options is viable to balancing winning now and building for the future. I give the Bucs a solid B in FA.

Garicia > Rattay .........How could you want Rattay or Simms to be the starter?  Give me a break.

The last four years of FA have been hampered by our salary cap.  The salary cap was not Bruce Allen or John Gruden's fault.  We were at the end of window of opportunity to win a championship and I didn't and still don't have a problem with making a last second push for a superbowl.  We've had to pay the consequences for the past couple of years.  John Gruden came into a situation where he had to win it all in 1 or 2 years (as our window was closing fast).  As far as all of this what has J.G. done with the offense stuff, you can't make chicken salad out of chick chit.  This thing is close to being turned around and I believe the future is going to be great for Bucs fans.  There are a lot of cities' fans that wish they won a S.B. recently, have a good coach, good facilities and stadium, and an attrative location in FL.       

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 16, 2007, 02:49:34 PM

Well at least one of you meatheads had the nads to at least show me where you think I'm wrong

Bottom line is this ladies

Other than Davis, not one of these signings shows any youth at all. And Davis is quite possibly the worse CB in the NFL next to Phillip Buchannon. I'm surprised some of you think its okay to keep renewing your season tickets like me only to see this team do nothing to secure its future

We'll revisit this thread after week 3, and I expect the majority of you to step forward and be counted

You're going to get a charleyhorse in your ass spending so much time with your foot in your mouth. Askew is not old. You need to check your "facts" before bending over in public places. You are an easy target for the people here who actually know what they are talking about.

Allen didn't break the bank on questionable choices. At the very least, he acquired some decent depth without overspending, and Garcia is a player we sure could have used last September. The best players available were franchised and I hope we will wait til next year to consider them. No thanks to Rich McKay, this is the first year we have cap room to do much. Allen is wise to not blow eighteen million on a FB. Between now and TC, there will be impact players who will need a new team. I like the fact that we will have money to deal with them. Also, players will be traded, released, or just retire. When that happens, we will have other roster spots to fill.
Free agency is far from over.

You sure are negative. Way too early to push the panic button.

Ironphister

Second String

#37 : March 16, 2007, 02:52:06 PM

if i got a dollar for everytime alstott got stuffed in short yardage or goal line and paid a dollar everytime he scored or move the chains - i'd be considerably ahead by now.  he only moves the pile when the line gets a push - he runs nimble for a big man, not powerful like some would like to portray him.  i think he's much more dangerous and elusive in space than ramming into a line, and most of his success has been going over a pile - not through it.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 16, 2007, 02:52:40 PM

Took the words right off my fingertips Sparky.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 16, 2007, 02:58:18 PM

if i got a dollar for everytime alstott got stuffed in short yardage or goal line and paid a dollar everytime he scored or move the chains - i'd be considerably ahead by now. he only moves the pile when the line gets a push - he runs nimble for a big man, not powerful like some would like to portray him. i think he's much more dangerous and elusive in space than ramming into a line, and most of his success has been going over a pile - not through it.

Uh? NO! We call him the A Train not the A Plain. Yes in recent years you remember him flying over the pile but that was a NEW strategy. A Train has been running thru piles his whole career. It's where most of his RUNNING success has come from, where the hell have you been? I do think if we can get him outside on a flat pass while he's still running forward and not waiting for the ball, he can make some bigger contributions.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

klb55

Starter

#40 : March 16, 2007, 03:14:25 PM

if i got a dollar for everytime alstott got stuffed in short yardage or goal line and paid a dollar everytime he scored or move the chains - i'd be considerably ahead by now. he only moves the pile when the line gets a push - he runs nimble for a big man, not powerful like some would like to portray him. i think he's much more dangerous and elusive in space than ramming into a line, and most of his success has been going over a pile - not through it.

Uh? NO! We call him the A Train not the A Plain. Yes in recent years you remember him flying over the pile but that was a NEW strategy. A Train has been running thru piles his whole career. It's where most of his RUNNING success has come from, where the hell have you been? I do think if we can get him outside on a flat pass while he's still running forward and not waiting for the ball, he can make some bigger contributions.

The A Plain........that is funny

nh

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 16, 2007, 03:15:45 PM

Plane, not plain.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : March 16, 2007, 03:23:43 PM

I don't know that The Rat > Garcia. Neither one is a long term answer so if I'm going band-aid I'll take the better band aid and Garcia is better than The Rat. Tom Brady wasn't on the market.

Kevin Carter is a one year solution and a disposable asset. He's not an answer but he can be a bridge to an answer and since we're not into him for any real cash, who cares? He's a great example of structure of a contract mattering a LOT more than the dollars of a contract. Dwight Freeny wasn't on the market.

Petitgout is a average level LOT. We got him for what, half, the going market for other marginal LOT's (see Davis, Leonard) and we are again not $20m in the hole on him. We can get out from under Luke for $2m next year and that's peanuts. Is he "the" answer at the spot. no, is he a better answer than A Davis? Sure he is and he can play some other spot if we get the shot at Joe Thomas. Walter Jones wasn't on the market.

The rest of the signings are guys that fill out the margins of the roster and so they are low dollar, low impact type signings like everyone makes.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs most active team in FA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools