Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions reportedly getting flooded with calls to trade down « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#30 : March 16, 2007, 11:00:04 AM

#8, #39 AND Carr for the #4? Hmmmm, I don't know. They'd be getting essentially nothing for Carr. Of course, they may just want him off their salary cap at this point...

Well according to many reports Plummer hasn't filed his paperwork to retire.  That really seems like this is all an arm twisting contest and I have faith that BA is gonna win.  If so Plummer could be a good player for the Texans considering he already has a history with the system.  The only reason they are sticking with Carr is due to shear need not anything more.  I think they would love to dump Carr if able to find his long or short term replacement (Quinn and/or Plummer).  Plummer and Peterson wouldn't be a bad deal.

#31 : March 16, 2007, 11:08:19 AM

Okoye at 4 is nuts. Can't make that pick. that pick gets people fired - and rightfully so. You figure after blowing Clayton, having huge questions about Caddy, the poor value decision on Davin if they take Okoye yuo just plain flat out assume we don't know how to use the draft.

I disagree (IMHO):

- "blowing Clayton": He was 2nd in ROY voting. His great first year proves he has the ABILITY, to me it seems he has lost a bit of focus/hunger, maybe. In any event, he's not a bust yet. I would say the jury is still out on him but I can see him emerging as the player he was during his first year (even if it's with another team).
- "having huge questions about Caddy": Rookie of Year. Bottom line is that even though last year was down, he has been productive. No, he's not LaDanian, and he needs to work on receiving and blocking, but he can be a game-breaker. With a better line blocking for him, he's fine.
- "The poor value decision on Davin": Run-of-the-mill guards are getting paid big bucks this free agency, we have a good one, cheap

Also, they are all great character guys: How would you like to be stuck with Kellen Winslow, Pac-Man, etc.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 16, 2007, 11:11:54 AM

The first round picks in recent years have been a mixed bag.  You could make an arguement either way.  In my opinion all of Tampa's first round picks in recent years have been solid, "safe" picks.  You could make an arguement for Clayton being a gamble.

Okoye is a boom or bust type similar to Clayton but also a safe pick like Joseph.  He is a solid, "safe" pick in that you can always move him over to play nosetackle if he does not pan out at undertackle.

But it would be a poor value pick if Okoye ends up playing nose tackle.  Same thing that happened with Booger.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 16, 2007, 11:47:26 AM

- "blowing Clayton": He was 2nd in ROY voting. His great first year proves he has the ABILITY, to me it seems he has lost a bit of focus/hunger, maybe. In any event, he's not a bust yet. I would say the jury is still out on him but I can see him emerging as the player he was during his first year (even if it's with another team).
- "having huge questions about Caddy": Rookie of Year. Bottom line is that even though last year was down, he has been productive. No, he's not LaDanian, and he needs to work on receiving and blocking, but he can be a game-breaker. With a better line blocking for him, he's fine.
- "The poor value decision on Davin": Run-of-the-mill guards are getting paid big bucks this free agency, we have a good one, cheap

Also, they are all great character guys: How would you like to be stuck with Kellen Winslow, Pac-Man, etc.

Yeah, because it was either these guys or bad character types.

Clayton blows and the staff takes the bullet on that one. Caddy had a great 4 games stretch but nothing since to say he deserves his lofty status. While many teams are living with 3,4,5th round OG's better than our R1 guard they got better bargains than we did to use your crappy logic.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#34 : March 16, 2007, 11:49:48 AM

Caddy had a great 4 games stretch but nothing since to say he deserves his lofty status

I completely disagree.

After bounching back from his injury Carnell finished his rookie campaign strong and it was the reason why the Bucs won the division title. 

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 16, 2007, 11:52:39 AM

If the Lions trade out of that position and do end up with a good defensive lineman and Stanton, I'll have renewed respect for Millen.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#36 : March 16, 2007, 12:05:04 PM

"The Lions are being flooded with trade offers ... According to my sources, the Lions already know what they want out of that No. 2 pick and, if a team steps up to the plate right now, the Lions will pull the trigger."

How can they be flooded with offers when there are only a small handful of teams who could possibly be able to pull off a deal?  It would have to be a top five team.    Unless somebody wants to do a Ricky Williams style deal complete with wedding gown.  If the Lions really do have a fixed price in mind that they can pull the trigger on right now, you can be sure that it includes giving up the whole store lock, stock and barrel.   Maybe the Lions can move down two or three slots, and that means two or three teams can put forth serious offers, rather than a "flood."  This writer is just putting out what the team wants him to.  The idea is to create a buzz for that spot and hopefully boost the value.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 16, 2007, 12:11:46 PM

If some teams fall in love with the QB's or JT I can see a lot of teams trading up to Detroit's spot.  Arizona is interested in JT, Dolphins and Vikes are definately interested in Quinn and Houston is a darkhorse in this.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#38 : March 16, 2007, 12:29:23 PM

If the Lions trade out of that position and do end up with a good defensive lineman and Stanton, I'll have renewed respect for Millen.
  Not me, I will suspect he has been kidnapped and Marinelli is making the decisions.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 16, 2007, 12:37:04 PM

I can't see anyone making a trade at this juncture to get in the #2 spot. The Raiders are reportedly shopping moss and if they move him they could then go CJ or if they keep Moss they could go JR. Trading to #2 right now, if you do, says that you are sheerly interested in JT or AP because why would you want to trade to #2 if you want JR? He may not be there. If you want to trade up to get CJ, he may not be there either.

Now if you want JR or CJ, both the same then you could trade up. I don't see any trades until people sniff out the Raiders.

Baghead #2

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#40 : March 16, 2007, 12:39:53 PM

I can't see anyone making a trade at this juncture to get in the #2 spot. The Raiders are reportedly shopping moss and if they move him they could then go CJ or if they keep Moss they could go JR. Trading to #2 right now, if you do, says that you are sheerly interested in JT or AP because why would you want to trade to #2 if you want JR? He may not be there. If you want to trade up to get CJ, he may not be there either.

Now if you want JR or CJ, both the same then you could trade up. I don't see any trades until people sniff out the Raiders.

You can't see it becuase you don't see the interest some teams have in Quinn.

#41 : March 16, 2007, 12:58:12 PM

- "blowing Clayton": He was 2nd in ROY voting.

Clayton was 2nd because there wasn't much competition. Compare him to Young, Bush, Jones-Drew, Colston, Maroney, Ryans, Cutler of this year and he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 16, 2007, 01:00:46 PM

#8, #39 AND Carr for the #4? Hmmmm, I don't know. They'd be getting essentially nothing for Carr. Of course, they may just want him off their salary cap at this point...

Well according to many reports Plummer hasn't filed his paperwork to retire.  That really seems like this is all an arm twisting contest and I have faith that BA is gonna win.  If so Plummer could be a good player for the Texans considering he already has a history with the system.  The only reason they are sticking with Carr is due to shear need not anything more.  I think they would love to dump Carr if able to find his long or short term replacement (Quinn and/or Plummer).  Plummer and Peterson wouldn't be a bad deal.
They're supposed to be interested in signing Bledsoe to be their starter. What if in the deal we agreed to just cut Plummer so he could sign with them if he so chooses. That might sweeten the deal enough for them to be interested. Then, we essentially get #8, #39, and David Carr for the #4 and a 2008 4th rounder.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#43 : March 16, 2007, 01:05:00 PM

- "blowing Clayton": He was 2nd in ROY voting.

Clayton was 2nd because there wasn't much competition. Compare him to Young, Bush, Jones-Drew, Colston, Maroney, Ryans, Cutler of this year and he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Yeah do that. He most likely still come up second with his rookie numbers. IIRC, he put up the best rookie WR numbers in the last ten years his rookie season. So what's your point?

#44 : March 16, 2007, 01:08:20 PM

Yeah do that. He most likely still come up second with his rookie numbers. IIRC, he put up the best rookie WR numbers in the last ten years his rookie season. So what's your point?

My point is he's a bust, simple as that and what he did three years ago has nothing to do with the Clayton he is today.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lions reportedly getting flooded with calls to trade down « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools