Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

: August 30, 2010, 09:07:19 AM

I hope to see Benn featured against the Texans, but at this point it definitely looks like he is going to be red-shirted for the most part in the regular season. I know he has been compared to Bolden, but people forget that Bolden's experience at QB made him a great route runner early and really helped him win rookie of the year. I know Benn will work hard, and I really hope he can make some progress over this year, but it is concerning that he may never be the great route runner like Bolden or McCardell that we as fans were hoping for him to be. As good as the Bucs 2010 draft looks at this point, you have to wonder if the Bucs should have gone a different direction in the 2nd. Rob Grownkowski or Brandon Spikes may be guys who could be helping this team more this year, and maybe even more importantly still having the 5th rounder for Greg Hardy, Parish Cox, Anthony Dixon, or Johnathan Dwyer could have landed us a late round steal set to contribute significantly this year.

nybucsfan

Rookie

#1 : August 30, 2010, 09:11:05 AM

I hope to see Benn featured against the Texans, but at this point it definitely looks like he is going to be red-shirted for the most part in the regular season. I know he has been compared to Bolden, but people forget that Bolden's experience at QB made him a great route runner early and really helped him win rookie of the year. I know Benn will work hard, and I really hope he can make some progress over this year, but it is concerning that he may never be the great route runner like Bolden or McCardell that we as fans were hoping for him to be. As good as the Bucs 2010 draft looks at this point, you have to wonder if the Bucs should have gone a different direction in the 2nd. Rob Grownkowski or Brandon Spikes may be guys who could be helping this team more this year, and maybe even more importantly still having the 5th rounder for Greg Hardy, Parish Cox, Anthony Dixon, or Johnathan Dwyer could have landed us a late round steal set to contribute significantly this year.

He can learn how to run routes.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 30, 2010, 09:12:02 AM

People, relax. He's a 21 yr-old rookie who had crap QB play last season in college. Not everyone can be Mike Williams. :D

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#3 : August 30, 2010, 09:15:10 AM

I hope you're right, and to Doug09 I am relaxed. I am just making the point that people are going to be screaming about next pre-season if Benn still hasn't shown us anything yet.

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 30, 2010, 09:21:03 AM

I hope you're right, and to Doug09 I am relaxed. I am just making the point that people are going to be screaming about next pre-season if Benn still hasn't shown us anything yet.

That's fine, Clayton showed us the World his rookie season. Means crap now.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 30, 2010, 09:21:12 AM

Reality is that Benn is a project, which some will have to accept, but I can see why Buc fans would be upset with another 2nd round experiment.  Let me say that all the talk of him being better with pads on, compared to Boldin, or his route running, etc is all hype.  What I have seen (forget the hype) is that he does fight for the ball when it is in the air, is a willing blocker, and he isn't a body catcher as I thought he would be.  And if he was, that appears to have been improved by Yarber.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#6 : August 30, 2010, 09:24:00 AM

or maybe in 2 years when freeman should be hitting his prime we might have 2 of the top receivers in the nfl?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#7 : August 30, 2010, 09:35:11 AM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_querier.htm

Anyone who is impatient with a 2nd round receiver should check in with the link above and
search for WR's taken in the second round.

about 1 in 10 are 'productive' in their first year.   Looks like year 3 is when they're 'money' (if they're going to be...)

Benn is a player (not playa.)   Keep expectations realistic this year, double them next year and hope he's a top 10 WR in
the league in 2013 when the Bucs go to the superbowl  ( ;) )

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 30, 2010, 10:31:12 AM

I believe Benn will be great in a year or two. He has the tools needed, and he has proven that he can produce when the QB and system favor him. That wasn't the case last year. It's understandable that there will be a period of adjustment at this level. Freeman will make a big difference for him. He will learn and adapt and be more effective as he gains experience.

littlericky

Starter
#9 : August 30, 2010, 01:08:23 PM

S. Rice did'nt do anything his first 2 years then last year he had a break out year. Benn from what I've read is a great route runner, he just is learning the system and play book a little slow.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#10 : August 30, 2010, 01:19:03 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick.  No one hits on all their picks.  Or....he could take a year or two to adjust.  Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity.  We are LUCKY Williams is game ready.  If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round?  Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately.  So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just BS propaganda by the kool-aid crew.  No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW.  Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#11 : August 30, 2010, 01:24:52 PM

Im more worried about Benn losing confidence because he hasnt lived up to the fans expectations yet. I think confidence is what he is lacking right now. If you dont have any confidence you cant play in this league. So with said, I look for him to be walked along so that he develops right. I agree with the OP in that he should get some more opportunities to learn from mistakes in this last preseason game. The good news is that we grabbed a future star reciever in the 4th round. Which could make up for Benns development time or if he even makes it at all.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 30, 2010, 01:40:17 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick.  No one hits on all their picks.  Or....he could take a year or two to adjust.  Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity.  We are LUCKY Williams is game ready.  If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round?  Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately.  So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just a subject for debate propaganda by the kool-aid crew.  No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW.  Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.

The current Bucs regime is choosing to build a team for the future, not for the NOW, which is why you have to re-adjust your perspective, and expectations.

McCoy, Price, Benn, Lewis, etc were not drafted to help now, but for the future years to come. 

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 30, 2010, 01:48:04 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick.  No one hits on all their picks.  Or....he could take a year or two to adjust.  Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity.  We are LUCKY Williams is game ready.  If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round?  Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately.  So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just a subject for debate propaganda by the kool-aid crew.  No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW.  Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.

The current Bucs regime is choosing to build a team for the future, not for the NOW, which is why you have to re-adjust your perspective, and expectations.

McCoy, Price, Benn, Lewis, etc were not drafted to help now, but for the future years to come. 
Pretty sure they were drafted to help now AND in the future. Morris and company know it's a young team... they didn't draft a bunch of rookies to be less than mediocre for a couple years. They are expecting them to step up NOW.

#14 : August 30, 2010, 01:58:09 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick. No one hits on all their picks. Or....he could take a year or two to adjust. Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity. We are LUCKY Williams is game ready. If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round? Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately. So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just a subject for debate propaganda by the kool-aid crew. No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW. Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.

Typical Anomaly post...   started with two huge boon/bust comment suppositions with a clear negative bias.

Either way - it's too soon to tell.   Anyone who makes a decision at this point either waya at this point in time is a fanatic without the common sense it takes to run a professional NFL organization.  That is what message boards are for...

At this point Williams and Benn are rookie receivers.   Too many high or low expectations for either are assinine frankly.

Let em play the game.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools