Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#15 : August 30, 2010, 02:14:27 PM

Spin spiders spin.....if he's a project like some of you say....why would you draft a project when WR was arguably one of your biggest need positions?  Makes little sense.

#16 : August 30, 2010, 02:17:18 PM

I should of guessed the response would of included the word Spin.   You're consistent, but that's it for me.

Carry on.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 30, 2010, 02:18:49 PM

Blind Melon - is there a trick to that draft query? I was trying to pull up all second rounders and I wasn't getting anything.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : August 30, 2010, 02:21:07 PM

Spin spiders spin.....if he's a project like some of you say....why would you draft a project when WR was arguably one of your biggest need positions?  Makes little sense.

because they liked his upside?  because they really wanted a WR and none others fit the bill?  because other positions of need were filled with projects as well?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#19 : August 30, 2010, 02:21:54 PM

Why would the Bucs draft for need? 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#20 : August 30, 2010, 02:22:46 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick. No one hits on all their picks. Or....he could take a year or two to adjust. Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity. We are LUCKY Williams is game ready. If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round? Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately. So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just a subject for debate propaganda by the kool-aid crew. No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW. Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.

The current Bucs regime is choosing to build a team for the future, not for the NOW, which is why you have to re-adjust your perspective, and expectations.

McCoy, Price, Benn, Lewis, etc were not drafted to help now, but for the future years to come.
Pretty sure they were drafted to help now AND in the future. Morris and company know it's a young team... they didn't draft a bunch of rookies to be less than mediocre for a couple years. They are expecting them to step up NOW.

Nope.

Out of that group only McCoy is starting, and Williams.

#21 : August 30, 2010, 02:29:15 PM

Blind Melon - is there a trick to that draft query? I was trying to pull up all second rounders and I wasn't getting anything.

got to get into it from a different querie ( try round 1 and 2 WR's or something like that...)  Looks like the script for the query is messed up or ...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#22 : August 30, 2010, 02:32:06 PM

The 2010 draft class wasn't drafted to provide instant impact for the 2010 season, but for future years.  What I do expect to see is progress from the 2009 class to carry the team in 2010 (Sammie, Freeman, Biggers, K. Moore, Miller). 

#23 : August 30, 2010, 02:33:38 PM

oh and for what it's worth... pff (profootball focus is now a pay site.)   f'ers...

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#24 : August 30, 2010, 02:37:02 PM

Anomaly - I don't know that project is the right word for Benn, but they had enough evidence to know that he was likely to come along slower than perhaps some other WRs.

Heck, he was one of only 2 WRs I liked taking in rounds 1 or 2 (Dez Bryant was the other), but that was based on his potential more than his immediate impact. He played in a funky offense with a QB who was worse than terrible. Plus, he apparently has a learning disability that affects the way and perhaps the speed with which he learns.

I'll throw in a couple of other factors - competition. Once Williams became a starter at the X, every other WR started fighting for the Z spot. So instead of a couple of guys competing at X and a couple at Z, it was just about everybody at Z. We may argue about how good guys like Reggie Brown or Stovall are, but they've played in this league.  

I also suspect that the Bucs were reluctant to run both rookies out as starters. My guess is back in April they hoped that one of them could figure into a 3-WR set up early, and maybe progress to being a starter midway. Remember the articles prior to training camp where the Bucs were debating whether they should start Mike Williams to open camp? Clearly that had nothing to do with ability, as he's head and shoulders more talented than any WR on the roster. It had to do with maturity, experience, understanding the offense, etc. My guess is once Mike Williams became a starter, it effectively ruled out Benn as a starter in the near-term. I just don't think the Bucs want Freeman depending on two rookies.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#25 : August 30, 2010, 03:33:54 PM

Anomaly - I don't know that project is the right word for Benn, but they had enough evidence to know that he was likely to come along slower than perhaps some other WRs.

Heck, he was one of only 2 WRs I liked taking in rounds 1 or 2 (Dez Bryant was the other), but that was based on his potential more than his immediate impact. He played in a funky offense with a QB who was worse than terrible. Plus, he apparently has a learning disability that affects the way and perhaps the speed with which he learns.

I'll throw in a couple of other factors - competition. Once Williams became a starter at the X, every other WR started fighting for the Z spot. So instead of a couple of guys competing at X and a couple at Z, it was just about everybody at Z. We may argue about how good guys like Reggie Brown or Stovall are, but they've played in this league. 

I also suspect that the Bucs were reluctant to run both rookies out as starters. My guess is back in April they hoped that one of them could figure into a 3-WR set up early, and maybe progress to being a starter midway. Remember the articles prior to training camp where the Bucs were debating whether they should start Mike Williams to open camp? Clearly that had nothing to do with ability, as he's head and shoulders more talented than any WR on the roster. It had to do with maturity, experience, understanding the offense, etc. My guess is once Mike Williams became a starter, it effectively ruled out Benn as a starter in the near-term. I just don't think the Bucs want Freeman depending on two rookies.

I have no problem with anything you are saying....however didn't we move up to get Benn?  Now understand, they had ZERO IDEA Williams would be there later on....so I have a hard time believing that they thought this guy was going to sit for 3 years as some are claiming.  Again, thank gawd we stole Williams and he's the read deal...otherwise....we'd be pretty stale on the outside.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#26 : August 30, 2010, 03:42:02 PM

Williams doing so sell might be the reason they are bringing him along slowly. Its hard to know looking in from the outside.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#27 : August 30, 2010, 03:42:19 PM

I think there's room between having him sit for three years and not expecting him to be starting three games into preseason.  

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#28 : August 30, 2010, 03:44:37 PM

I agree with Acacius.

lowlife

Starter
#29 : August 30, 2010, 03:52:31 PM

I was never impressed by Benn as a prospect. I was more on Golden Tate or trading up for Bryant.

I've seen some good things out of him, but not enough to say he'll be an impact any time soon.
It's also way too early to declare him this or the other. Impatient, reactionary fans will tell you differently, but hey they can get bent.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools