Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 30, 2010, 03:54:34 PM

I think this had to be expected. Been had poor production in college. Say it was a bad QB, learning disability, injuries, or whatever.

The bottom line is the lack of production is an indication of a lack of player development. He isn't coming into the NFL with the same level of development as a 3 or 4 year starter who played in a productive college system. It's not a knock on Benn, it's just reality.

From my view Anamoly, other than the McCoy, the Buccaneers weren't EXPECTING any draft picks to start. Mike Williams claiming the starting role was a bonus, and indicates that the FO did a great job of drafting talent.....again. I'm pretty sure the free agent acquisition of Reggie Brown addressed the other WR spot. And I agree with you that I am thankful Mike Williams did step up.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#31 : August 30, 2010, 03:56:30 PM

Well....he is certainly not a bust but more of a disappointment(as of now).  I am sure if we did the research...most on here thought Benn would be a major contributer right away.  It is the automatic defense mechanism that too many exude on here.  It is as if the current regime can do nothing wrong and every criticism, whether credible or not, is attacked and spun into some level of excuse.   After all the mistakes from last year....now they are batting .1000 across the board.  It is laughable.  Fact is, we traded up to get him and drafted him pretty high....is is fair to say that we expected more than a benchwarmer out of Benn?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 30, 2010, 04:09:47 PM

Well....he is certainly not a bust but more of a disappointment(as of now).  I am sure if we did the research...most on here thought Benn would be a major contributer right away.  It is the automatic defense mechanism that too many exude on here.  It is as if the current regime can do nothing wrong and every criticism, whether credible or not, is attacked and spun into some level of excuse.   After all the mistakes from last year....now they are batting .1000 across the board.  It is laughable.  Fact is, we traded up to get him and drafted him pretty high....is is fair to say that we expected more than a benchwarmer out of Benn?

I agree that a 2nd and a 5th is alot to spend on a project WR, especially in this past draft since it was so deep. They obviously had a very high grade on Benn to spend that much on him. I've gotta give Dominik credit for going after the player he wanted, even though I didn't agree with it. Dominik has not made alot of mistakes drafting players, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one and give the kid time to develop.

The biggest downside IMO is having to use a roster spot on a guy who may not contribute, but it's the nature of the beast. Almost every second rounder taken this year will be warming a bench somewhere. We should not be alarmed.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#33 : August 30, 2010, 04:10:35 PM

The only draft picks EXPECTED to start or make major contributions by every NFL GM or coach in year 1 are first round picks. 4th rounder Mike Williams is just showing everyone he SHOULD have been a 1st round pick, despite his issues at Syracuse.
   Sammy Stroughter, picked in round 7 last year, was considered 1st round talent until he had his problem in college. And if EJ Biggers hadn't been injured last year, he may have contributed last year as well. He now appears to have the nickel back CB position won. Another 7th rounder.
   I have no complaints with drafting or player development over the last 2 years.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#34 : August 30, 2010, 04:15:24 PM

The only draft picks EXPECTED to start or make major contributions by every NFL GM or coach in year 1 are first round picks.

Honestly, link?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 30, 2010, 04:16:01 PM

The only draft picks EXPECTED to start or make major contributions by every NFL GM or coach in year 1 are first round picks.
QFT.

4th rounder Mike Williams is just showing everyone he SHOULD have been a 1st round pick, despite his issues at Syracuse.
Amen!!

Sammy Stroughter, picked in round 7 last year, was considered 1st round talent until he had his problem in college. And if EJ Biggers hadn't been injured last year, he may have contributed last year as well. He now appears to have the nickel back CB position won. Another 7th rounder.
   I have no complaints with drafting or player development over the last 2 years.

Can I get a halleluja?   :D

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#36 : August 30, 2010, 04:41:48 PM

OR.....he just was a bad pick. No one hits on all their picks. Or....he could take a year or two to adjust. Why we would take a project at such a high need position screams stupidity. We are LUCKY Williams is game ready. If you think about it.....WR project in the 2nd round? Makes zero sense since you did not know Williams would be there in the 4th and you need WR help immediately. So the "we knew he was a project" excuse is GARBAGE and just a subject for debate propaganda by the kool-aid crew. No way we should take a WR project in round 2 when we needed WR help NOW. Thank the lord Williams looks like a steal.
yep

obuc

Starter

#37 : August 30, 2010, 04:48:08 PM

My what short memories we all have. Last year I think most of us saw Sammie Stroughter as a promising player and he made a few plays during the year but in camp this year he's on another level. I think if we were talking 7th round and not 2nd it would be a different discussion.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 30, 2010, 04:53:27 PM

when you are 3-13 and rebuilding thru the draft and not playing the free agent market you need contributions from more than your top 3 pick.  Not to mention this was one of the deepest drafts ever and we had 2 high 2nd rouners.  Dom said there was around 40 guys with a 1st round grade so we should have drafted 3 guys with 1st round talent then by that logic.  quit making excuses.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#39 : August 30, 2010, 05:04:07 PM

Cant blame the guy for needing the time to develop. If hes not ready then hes not ready. We will find out in about 2 years if the guy is a bust/contributor for our team. Drafting Williams is what we wanted when we drafted Benn. So switch it around, Benn is the 4th rounder who needs time and Williams is the second rounder who is contributing this year. I just think of it that way.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 30, 2010, 05:04:52 PM

Dom said there was around 40 guys with a 1st round grade so we should have drafted 3 guys with 1st round talent then by that logic. quit making excuses.

Actually we had two picks in the top-40, not three. McCoy(#3) and Brian Price(#35) will see plenty of action this year. Benn was #42. I am certainly not disappointed in the talent we acquired in this years draft.  

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 30, 2010, 05:06:52 PM

we traded up to #39 for him

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 30, 2010, 05:11:26 PM

I don't think it is a secret, but it might be news for some, but I was driving that Golden Tate bus hardcore.  With that said based on Benn's situation, I had a hunch that when he was drafted that the team probably was not expecting him to start day one.  Mike Williams wasn't expected to start either as Booker Reese points out.  And let me re-emphasize the hype of Benn escalated out of control where people now have unrealistic expectations.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 30, 2010, 05:24:42 PM

we traded up to #39 for him

You're right.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 30, 2010, 06:02:44 PM

when you are 3-13 and rebuilding thru the draft and not playing the free agent market you need contributions from more than your top 3 pick. Not to mention this was one of the deepest drafts ever and we had 2 high 2nd rouners. Dom said there was around 40 guys with a 1st round grade so we should have drafted 3 guys with 1st round talent then by that logic. quit making excuses.

Hilarious....just another contradiction from the kool-aiders.....we are rebuilding through the draft but only expect our first rounder to start....buwhahahahahahaha.....another in a long line of garbage spin jobs.   They always want it both ways.....its part of their excuses.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Arrelious Benn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools