Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grads' Arm « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#30 : October 22, 2006, 05:12:53 PM

I dont understand the thought that Gradkowski has a good deep ball but just hasnt found his accuracy yet. I could buy that he has been more comfortable staying in his safety zone of short passes, but I dont need to see him play 20 more games to know his deep ball is average at best. Sure he can throw the ball 50 yards, but that doesnt classify him as having a deep ball. Griese could throw the ball as far as Grad could, maybe further, but he had poor accuracy on it because he had to put so much air under it. Timing was always off.

I like what I see from him. Not sure if he is the longterm answer. Sure he can "not lose games" but Im not sure he can move the offense with enough consistency. Maybe, Im just not sure yet. Ive seen things I liked. At the very least he will be a valuable backup next year smart enough to notn eed a "veteran backup"

You do know Griese threw more deep balls than Simms.

Grads needs to get used to the speed of the NFL, and get his timing.  Until he gets used to the speed of the game he will never get the timing of the deeper passes right.  He threw a 48 yard pass in preseason and a 52 yarder against the Saints, so he has enough arm to play the game.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#31 : October 22, 2006, 05:13:33 PM

I dont understand the thought that Gradkowski has a good deep ball but just hasnt found his accuracy yet. I could buy that he has been more comfortable staying in his safety zone of short passes, but I dont need to see him play 20 more games to know his deep ball is average at best. Sure he can throw the ball 50 yards, but that doesnt classify him as having a deep ball. Griese could throw the ball as far as Grad could, maybe further, but he had poor accuracy on it because he had to put so much air under it. Timing was always off.

I like what I see from him. Not sure if he is the longterm answer. Sure he can "not lose games" but Im not sure he can move the offense with enough consistency. Maybe, Im just not sure yet. Ive seen things I liked. At the very least he will be a valuable backup next year smart enough to notn eed a "veteran backup"

You're making the (incorrect) assumption that he will not improve. The guy is a rookie, A ROOKIE!!! Look at Peyton Manning's stats as a rookie (not comparing him skill-wise to Manning), the guy was losing games for his team as opposed to keeping his team in games like Grads is doing. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Gradkowski was a 6'5'' 1st round pick, people would be lining up to polish his knob.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#32 : October 22, 2006, 05:15:24 PM

Back from the game.  We won in SPITE of Grads, not because of him.  He is NOT the MVP of this team.  He is NOT the reason we won.  Grads throws some of the worst deep balls I have ever seen.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#33 : October 22, 2006, 05:17:30 PM

Back from the game.  We won in SPITE of Grads, not because of him.  He is NOT the MVP of this team.  He is NOT the reason we won.  Grads throws some of the worst deep balls I have ever seen.

Nobody is saying he is the MVP but HE KEPT US IN THE GAME. Not turning the ball over versus a team like Philly is a HUGE accomplishment for a rookie.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#34 : October 22, 2006, 06:19:34 PM

Wow, why don't you title this thread Kiss Grads Ass? :-*

No one is kissing his ass. ???

Actually, I never bashed him.  I simply said he wasn't the reason we won and is not the MVP of the season so far.  None of that is bashing, pretty much facts. 

Try again ass clown.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 22, 2006, 06:19:42 PM

I cannot believe some of the negative comments on Grads after three games. Pathetic. Karen
takes the cake.

He is playing just like a rookie is expected to play in his first three games in a complicated
offense. Will he get better? I assume so. His accuracy will improve as he learns the system
better and doesn't have to think as much. Once things come naturally to him, (when he
doesn't have to think about so many things)  we will see the real Grads. Will that be
good enough to be our long term answer at QB? We shall see. I'm happy right now
because he is getting game experience in his rookie year. Not too many rookies
get that.

Karen, your comments about Grads tripping over his own feet are funny. Remember
Simms' first couple of snaps? And you know what it meant for the long term?
Nada.

I'm more worried about our D than I am about Grads at this point. If Grads
fails to progress, THEN I'll be worried about him too. I don't know what you
all expected from a rookie in his first three games.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#36 : October 22, 2006, 05:19:16 PM

While Grads has a weak arm, he is capable of throwing the 30-40 yard deep pass when needed. There have been several QB's who couldn't throw the ball much past 50 yards. Steve Young was one of them. I like Grads decisiveness and he seems to play smart and not make the big mistakes. For a rookie that is huge.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think as he gets more comfortable and gets his timing down with our receivers, his deep passes will get better. The only reason he was drafted so low was because of his arm strength. Gruden's offense though, doesn't feature many really deep balls. The thing Grads has to do is when we get it...make it count. I think he can do that.

On the bright side, we are going to get 10 more games with Grads as our QB. By the end of this season, we should have a better idea if he is our QB of the future or if we need to look at signing someone (including Simms) or drafting someone. If we draft, it doesn't even have to be in the first round, but a day one pick might be needed.

I, for one, hope Grads can pull it off because we need to use those picks elsewhere.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#37 : October 22, 2006, 05:20:05 PM

Back from the game. We won in SPITE of Grads, not because of him. He is NOT the MVP of this team. He is NOT the reason we won. Grads throws some of the worst deep balls I have ever seen.

Nobody is saying he is the MVP but HE KEPT US IN THE GAME. Not turning the ball over versus a team like Philly is a HUGE accomplishment for a rookie.

Actually, several people in the PR midseason MVP thread were saying Grads was the MVP.  I am just saying, no he isn't.  He never was.  

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#38 : October 22, 2006, 05:21:29 PM

#39 : October 22, 2006, 05:22:06 PM

What does Gradkowski being a rookie have to do with arm strength? Tell me how he went thre 5 years of college with this arm strength, yet in the next 10 years of his career his arm will somehow get stronger? No matter how long he is in the league his arm wont get stronger, if that were the case Brad Johnson would throw laser beams instead of having the weakest arm in the league.

mjs, explain to me how Griese threw more deep balls. And if he did, explain to me how that = strong arm or good deep ball. If Griese threw more deep balls than SImms I can first guarantee you he didnt complete them as often, and 2nd I can still tell you he had a horrible deep ball. Nom atter if he plays 5 games and throws 5 deep balls, or 30 deep balls, the quantity doesnt mean he has good quality

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 22, 2006, 05:23:38 PM

No one is kissing his ass.   ???

gharen

Pro Bowler

#41 : October 22, 2006, 05:24:17 PM

He is only going to get better in this offense. The more experience he gets the more they will let him do. That is how it is with rookie QB's. Right now, he has 2 fourth quarter comebacks under his belt and seems to play better when the game is on the line. Let's not forget he played a hell of a good defense today and had no turnovers. I would be very happy if he develops into a young Brad Johnson with athleticism.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#42 : October 22, 2006, 05:24:29 PM

Does this mean something?

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#43 : October 22, 2006, 05:25:40 PM

What does Gradkowski being a rookie have to do with arm strength? Tell me how he went thre 5 years of college with this arm strength, yet in the next 10 years of his career his arm will somehow get stronger? No matter how long he is in the league his arm wont get stronger, if that were the case Brad Johnson would throw laser beams instead of having the weakest arm in the league.

Because he has yet to get used to the speed of the game. His arm isn't going to get physically stronger but he'll become more comfortable throwing long passes.

magicfan39126

Pro Bowler

#44 : October 22, 2006, 05:26:47 PM

Do you EVER bring ANYTHING to a discussion?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Grads' Arm « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools