Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PR ALERT: MORRIS TALKS ABOUT BENN'S DEVELOPMENT « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 31, 2010, 01:09:21 AM

Benn has more potential than ANY receiver on this roster. Benn just isn't comfortable with the offense yet. I'll take his potential over these pre-season studs i.e. Spurlock. Looking at Benn he isn't playing at full speed, looks like he is in a walk through. He isn't sure if he is in the right position, running the right routes, etc.... He looks like a rookie.

He came from a spread offense from Illinois, the transition is tough.
More potential than MW19?

I doubt that, but either way, one or the other...I will be happy if they perform.
I think so. Benn is a beast after the catch, terrific ability to make catches in traffic, good ball skills, and also a good route runner. Both players are quite similar except Benn is better and does more damage after the catch. He's so big and strong he just breaks tackles and gets the YAC we'll need when teams start to drop their safeties back when Williams catches bombs. Give him time, he will come around. I've been following him for 3 years, I'd be shocked if he sucked.

The only problem with that (as we well learned with Clayton) is that the first thing a receiver must do before he can obtain YAC is make the catch.
Lets get this straightned out. While I agree catching is the first thing he needs to do, it hasn't been a problem from Benn from what I've seen and read since he got here. Clayton was never any good after the catch. He was no threat after the catch - which is why I'm not sure why he had a problem on just catching the ball. Clayton is a possession receiver with no real quickness or strength to put any pressure on the defense. That is why teams play up on Clayton, he has no ability to make defenders miss or break tackles. If he was able to catch a 3 yard quick hit, he would immediately get tackled. Benn on the other hand is a mismatch nighttmare for DB's. He has elite size and strength and will flat out own cats in the open field. Don't be surprised if you Benn truck DB's while he is here. He absolutely trucked the living daylight out of Atlanta's safety William Moore when they played in college.

wolfet

Pro Bowler
#31 : August 31, 2010, 01:19:27 AM

Time will tell.  I think Benn will be good, but not everyone is an immediate starter nor is everyone that immediately flashes going to be good.   See Sabby P, M Clayton, E Mack, Alan Z, G Adams(RIP), Booger Mcfarland.   Heck Mo Stovall is a great example.  A great worker and practice guy but that did not translate into much success during the regular season.  Utlimately, it is the players that keep getting better that eventually dominate.  Not many do from day 1 in the NFL.   That is why the Bucs will keep all seven draft picks (yes, including Lorig).  Brandon Marshall took time to develop, Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Steve Smith (NYG).  Even the leagues best, Andre Johnson took a couple years to hit his stride and he was a top 10 pick.  Everything will play out in time.  Year 3 is a huge year for most NFL players.  Usually, you can tell where their ceiling is or where it is going to be.  OL is probably the one exception and maybe QB.  

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 31, 2010, 01:29:17 AM

The only problem with that (as we well learned with Clayton) is that the first thing a receiver must do before he can obtain YAC is make the catch.
Lets get this straightned out. While I agree catching is the first thing he needs to do, it hasn't been a problem from Benn from what I've seen and read since he got here. Clayton was never any good after the catch. He was no threat after the catch - which is why I'm not sure why he had a problem on just catching the ball.

Umm, ok. Let's GET the facts straight. Clayton was 4th in the league his rookie season for YAC and the three guys above him were running backs. In fact 44% of his total yards were YAC.

YAC
1.     Westbrook, Brian     PHI     13     73     703     9.6     50     6     30     640      87
2.    Barber, Tiki            NYG     16    52    578     11.1           62    2    18    542    79
3.    Davis, Domanick    HOU     15    68    588    8.6           38      1    27  526    84
4.    Clayton, Michael    TB    16    80    1193        14.9        75    7    56    521    122

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2004/receiving/0_byRECPT_YAC.html#ixzz0y9qImyFR

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#33 : August 31, 2010, 01:38:02 AM

Maybe Morris and the Bucs are trying to keep Benn a secret. Put all the hype around Williams while it opens up for room for Benn underneath. It would be too perfect.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#34 : August 31, 2010, 06:53:30 AM

Plausible scenario

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#35 : August 31, 2010, 06:58:47 AM

Maybe Morris and the Bucs are trying to keep Benn a secret. Put all the hype around Williams while it opens up for room for Benn underneath. It would be too perfect.

Ya sure.  Make the guy look like a loser just so they can possibly use him as a secret weapon for one week against the Browns even though he's also looked poor in practice not just the preseason games.   Highly plausible...   LOL!

Doug09

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 31, 2010, 07:03:13 AM

Mike Williams being an immediate stud is making Benn look bad but he is developing at a normal rate.
But Benn is not showing much at all.  At least in preseason.

There are other WRs like Spurlock, Williams (a rook obviously), Stroughter who are showing they can ball.  Benn is raising eyebrows and creating tension because he has not flashed much at all...

That is the "truth" from my end anyhow.

BTW, someone should use that as a screenname..."Truth".  How ego lifting is that?

Someone in the other Benn thread said they rewatched the Jags game and specifically Benn, the poster said Benn was open on multiple occasions but Rudy didn't even look his way. I'd be interested in seeing how Benn does with a good chunk of PT in the Houston game.

Booker

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 31, 2010, 09:01:38 AM

Where has he looked bad in practice Java? You do much better when you don't make things up. Also, Benn has been open in preseason. Hell, I found him open multiple times in the Jags game but Rudy sucks.

#38 : August 31, 2010, 09:20:11 AM

I've said it in another thread...

Benn is developing normally    2nd round receivers typically take until year 3 to reach their potential.  He hasn't even take 1 regular season snap...

It's an internet thing obviously...  "I want to be the first guy to say player x is a bust"...   

That's some ridiculous crap...

Let the young man learn, he has the tools.   Low expectations this year (K2, Williams, Stovall and Stroughter are the primary targets in the passing game), double your expectations for him next year, and in his third year he must start hitting his production as a Z.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 31, 2010, 10:01:26 AM

Go back to April when Williams was the "wasted pick" and Benn was the "can't miss" receiver. It is all speculation and projection. You can't declare any of this as accurate when neither one has played a single down in a game of record. Even when the season is over you can't know how their careers will evolve, but at least there is enough evidence to make an educated guess. I believe both will do well, but they will take their lumps. They're rookies. They're not used to defenders being so big and still fast. They will adjust and improve with experience. Cut them some slack. They haven't had any yet.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 31, 2010, 10:28:56 AM

Ya sure. Make the guy look like a loser just so they can possibly use him as a secret weapon for one week against the Browns even though he's also looked poor in practice not just the preseason games. Highly plausible... LOL!

So you don't even watch the games yet you know Benn has looked poor in practice?

Brilliant!

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

NFCSouthChamps2008

Practice Squad

#41 : August 31, 2010, 10:58:41 AM

spin.  they invested a high 2nd and a 5th on him.  play the guy in the preseason and let us see where he's at.

The point of the article is that he isn't there yet.  You're missing it.

Putting him in preseason won't let us know how he's progressing- it'll just show where he is right now....which isn't starting WR quality.

PewterReportCC

Hall of Famer
#42 : August 30, 2010, 04:38:52 PM

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/7402

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#43 : August 30, 2010, 04:47:23 PM

spin.  they invested a high 2nd and a 5th on him.  play the guy in the preseason and let us see where he's at.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 30, 2010, 04:50:11 PM

Good. Let's hope it's not all fluff by Morris.

I have a lot of confidence that Benn can be a playmaker... just look at his highlight tape on youtube... the dude has some serious ability. I can be patient with him and count our blessings that we have Williams ready to go while Benn gets the hang of things.

Hide Tools Show Tools