Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Predict your Conference « previous next »
Page: 1 2

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

: September 01, 2010, 01:05:54 AM

This board is dead and we know the Bucs this year will have as much success as Washington State, so predict how your conference will finish. Maybe pick an underrated/overrated player as well, also throw in some names to keep an eye on.

Pac-10
1)Oregon-better defense on paper then last year, offense returns every WR and RB and entire Ol
2)Stanford- Jim Harbaugh talent will finally show, and they have the best QB in the country
3) OSU- Paea at the end of the year could be the best DT in the country, Rodgers bros
4) Cal- people usually overrate them, but this year getting no love. Teams with returning QB's do well in the pac, great RB
5) USC- so hard to read, probably more talent on paper then anyone, but such a mess now. So Ill stick them in the middle
6) Arizona- Would have them higher but when you are running a 4-2-5 defense because your LB suck you are in trouble
7) ASU-people have them around 8th-10th. New QB transfer from Michigan should be a stud, Erickson on hotseat should make them ok
8) UW- OVERRATED. Hard schedule, No reason to believe they have turned the corner. Locker needs to prove something 8 career wins isnt enough
9) UCLA- offense is a mess, had a great defense last year and they still sucked.
10) WSU... maybe 2 wins?

Overrated player: Jake Locker
Underrated player: John Boyett

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 01, 2010, 10:07:17 AM

BE:
Pitt  - Here if their new QB plays well.  Otherwise its a toss-up.  I think they (kill me now) take the Backyard Brawl in Pittsburgh.
WVU - same record as sPitt, but fall behind in the h2h because we're on their home field.  Devine is a Heisman finalist. Returning starters are the key.
UConn - Put together a solid season - fall in and out of the rankings all year. Edsall becomes a hot commodity besides inexplicably losing to UM in week 1.
Cin - Same record as UCONN but fall below in the h2h.  Zach puts together a very solid year and gets premature Heisman hype in 2011.
Rutgers - Win a few games but none of the ones against the teams above.
USF - Continue to play up and play down. 
Syracuse  - Better than last yeat, but thats not saying much. 
Louisville - D keeps them in games, but they drop to the bottom of the pack.

This will probably be upside down by years end but its worth a shot.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

matt

Starter

#2 : September 01, 2010, 05:55:38 PM

Quote from: OregonBucFan

7) ASU-people have them around 8th-10th. New QB transfer from Michigan should be a stud, Erickson on hotseat should make them ok

I hope Threet does well, but I just don't see it happening for him. I certainly would not call him a stud.

Quote from: Fitz66

UConn - Put together a solid season - fall in and out of the rankings all year. Edsall becomes a hot commodity besides inexplicably losing to UM in week 1.

Inexplicably??? You do realize that Michigan is a 3 point favorite and this is the Michigan Stadium re-dedication game, right? Michigan SHOULD win this game, but it's not a pushover.

As for Big Ten predictions...

1) Wisconsin
2) Ohio State
3) Iowa
4) Penn State
5) Michigan
6) Northwestern
7) Michigan State
8) Purdue
9) Indiana
10) Minnesota
11) Illinois

Overrated player: Terrelle Pryor
Underrated player: Kirk Cousins

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 01, 2010, 06:01:33 PM

I hope Threet does well, but I just don't see it happening for him. I certainly would not call him a stud.

Inexplicably??? You do realize that Michigan is a 3 point favorite and this is the Michigan Stadium re-dedication game, right? Michigan SHOULD win this game, but it's not a pushover.

UCONN is coming into this season with a lot of hype and a dominating win over South Cakkalakka, not to mention a load of returning starters.  Look at the games they lost last year...they're all by just a few points.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/41/year/2009/connecticut-huskies
Michigan is coming off two horrible no-bowl seasons and has struggled to say the least.

Yes, Inexplicably. 

I know you're a fan and all but lets call a spade a spade here.

www.Atlbucs.com

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 01, 2010, 07:22:23 PM

1) Wisconsin
2) Ohio State
3) Iowa
4) Penn State
5) Michigan
6) Northwestern
7) Michigan State
8) Purdue
9) Indiana
10) Minnesota
11) Illinois

Ive heard hes done very well down at ASU.

matt

Starter

#5 : September 02, 2010, 07:39:55 AM

UCONN is coming into this season with a lot of hype and a dominating win over South Cakkalakka, not to mention a load of returning starters.  Look at the games they lost last year...they're all by just a few points.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/41/year/2009/connecticut-huskies
Michigan is coming off two horrible no-bowl seasons and has struggled to say the least.

Yes, Inexplicably. 

This isn't just me speaking as a fan. I acknowledge Michigan might not win, but I think there is a better chance that they do win than the chance that they don't. Vegas happens to agree with me.

You're basing your assumption on the last two seasons, without taking into consideration the events that have transpired in the spring and through fall camp. Michigan is finally at a level where they have Michigan-level talent. The secondary is very young but that should be more of a concern next week against Brian Kelly's offense. Michigan's defensive strength should be their run defense. The D-Line could be one of the best in the conference. Fortunately for Michigan, the O-Line is also a strength, and UConn has had trouble with Rich Rod's offense when Rich was at West Virginia.

Statistical analysis of the two teams: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/know-your-enemy-uconn-preview

OBF, with Threet, I'll believe it when he's able to bring it during a game. He had problems with drastically overthrowing receivers when he was here at Michigan and even when he was in high school at nearby Adrian High School.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 02, 2010, 10:05:32 AM

Yes, Inexplicably. 

This isn't just me speaking as a fan. I acknowledge Michigan might not win, but I think there is a better chance that they do win than the chance that they don't. Vegas happens to agree with me.

You're basing your assumption on the last two seasons, without taking into consideration the events that have transpired in the spring and through fall camp. Michigan is finally at a level where they have Michigan-level talent. The secondary is very young but that should be more of a concern next week against Brian Kelly's offense. Michigan's defensive strength should be their run defense. The D-Line could be one of the best in the conference. Fortunately for Michigan, the O-Line is also a strength, and UConn has had trouble with Rich Rod's offense when Rich was at West Virginia.

Statistical analysis of the two teams: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/know-your-enemy-uconn-preview

OBF, with Threet, I'll believe it when he's able to bring it during a game. He had problems with drastically overthrowing receivers when he was here at Michigan and even when he was in high school at nearby Adrian High School.

Vegas typically grants 3 points for home field advantage, so its not like they're saying UM is actually a better team.  UConn, I think is a much better team and should win - but their inexperience on the big stage is what dooms them (See 66-21 in '07 when we shared a title with them somehow). 

The events that have transpired all through spring and fall game have been a mixed bag - are you saying its been that good with the allegations and potential sanctions going on?  That stuff is a distraction, I don't care who the team is. Not to mention always fielding questions about when and if their coach is going to be fired. 

Statistics don't mean much when the two teams who have never played before get on the field. 

www.Atlbucs.com

matt

Starter

#7 : September 03, 2010, 07:38:33 AM

I don't know how you can say that UConn is a much better team before the game is even played. My only guess is that your only exposure to Michigan is through ESPN, who thinks Nick Sheridan has a chance to be Michigan's starting QB (he graduated last year). Rich has done his best to shelter the team from the media's negativity. The offense should be very good. You can see the excitement when Rich does talk to the media, which is wisely not as much as he did the last few years. Rich gave unprecedented access to the media the first two years and it caused the media s-storm. The walls around Fort Schembechler have risen again. Anyway, the first two years, Rich did his best to temper expectations due to talent deficiencies. That is not necessary this year. He seems almost giddy for this team to take the field. As I said before, spring and fall camps have been encouraging. It's just a matter of translating the growth and improvement on the actual field of play.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 03, 2010, 07:51:17 AM

I don't know how you can say that UConn is a much better team before the game is even played.

Georgia State (first season ever) won 41-7 last night.  Is there a chance they knock off Alabama later this year?  I don't think we can say that Alabama is better...they've never played.

www.Atlbucs.com

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 01, 2010, 01:05:54 AM

This board is dead and we know the Bucs this year will have as much success as Washington State, so predict how your conference will finish. Maybe pick an underrated/overrated player as well, also throw in some names to keep an eye on.

Pac-10
1)Oregon-better defense on paper then last year, offense returns every WR and RB and entire Ol
2)Stanford- Jim Harbaugh talent will finally show, and they have the best QB in the country
3) OSU- Paea at the end of the year could be the best DT in the country, Rodgers bros
4) Cal- people usually overrate them, but this year getting no love. Teams with returning QB's do well in the pac, great RB
5) USC- so hard to read, probably more talent on paper then anyone, but such a mess now. So Ill stick them in the middle
6) Arizona- Would have them higher but when you are running a 4-2-5 defense because your LB suck you are in trouble
8) UW- OVERRATED. Hard schedule, No reason to believe they have turned the corner. Locker needs to prove something 8 career wins isnt enough
9) UCLA- offense is a mess, had a great defense last year and they still sucked.
10) WSU... maybe 2 wins?

Overrated player: Jake Locker
Underrated player: John Boyett

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 01, 2010, 10:07:17 AM

BE:
Pitt  - Here if their new QB plays well.  Otherwise its a toss-up.  I think they (kill me now) take the Backyard Brawl in Pittsburgh.
WVU - same record as sPitt, but fall behind in the h2h because we're on their home field.  Devine is a Heisman finalist. Returning starters are the key.
Cin - Same record as UCONN but fall below in the h2h.  Zach puts together a very solid year and gets premature Heisman hype in 2011.
Rutgers - Win a few games but none of the ones against the teams above.
USF - Continue to play up and play down. 
Syracuse  - Better than last yeat, but thats not saying much. 
Louisville - D keeps them in games, but they drop to the bottom of the pack.

This will probably be upside down by years end but its worth a shot.

www.Atlbucs.com

matt

Starter

#11 : September 01, 2010, 05:55:38 PM

1) Wisconsin
2) Ohio State
3) Iowa
4) Penn State
5) Michigan
6) Northwestern
7) Michigan State
8) Purdue
9) Indiana
10) Minnesota
11) Illinois

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 01, 2010, 06:01:33 PM

Yes, Inexplicably. 

www.Atlbucs.com

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 01, 2010, 07:22:23 PM

1) Wisconsin
2) Ohio State
3) Iowa
4) Penn State
5) Michigan
6) Northwestern
7) Michigan State
8) Purdue
9) Indiana
10) Minnesota
11) Illinois

Ive heard hes done very well down at ASU.

matt

Starter

#14 : September 02, 2010, 07:39:55 AM

Yes, Inexplicably. 

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Predict your Conference « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools