Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Predict your Conference « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 02, 2010, 10:05:32 AM

Quote from: Fitz66
UCONN is coming into this season with a lot of hype and a dominating win over South Cakkalakka, not to mention a load of returning starters.  Look at the games they lost last year...they're all by just a few points.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/41/year/2009/connecticut-huskies
Michigan is coming off two horrible no-bowl seasons and has struggled to say the least.

Yes, Inexplicably. 

I know you're a fan and all but lets call a spade a spade here.

This isn't just me speaking as a fan. I acknowledge Michigan might not win, but I think there is a better chance that they do win than the chance that they don't. Vegas happens to agree with me.

You're basing your assumption on the last two seasons, without taking into consideration the events that have transpired in the spring and through fall camp. Michigan is finally at a level where they have Michigan-level talent. The secondary is very young but that should be more of a concern next week against Brian Kelly's offense. Michigan's defensive strength should be their run defense. The D-Line could be one of the best in the conference. Fortunately for Michigan, the O-Line is also a strength, and UConn has had trouble with Rich Rod's offense when Rich was at West Virginia.

Statistical analysis of the two teams: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/know-your-enemy-uconn-preview

OBF, with Threet, I'll believe it when he's able to bring it during a game. He had problems with drastically overthrowing receivers when he was here at Michigan and even when he was in high school at nearby Adrian High School.

Vegas typically grants 3 points for home field advantage, so its not like they're saying UM is actually a better team.  UConn, I think is a much better team and should win - but their inexperience on the big stage is what dooms them (See 66-21 in '07 when we shared a title with them somehow). 

The events that have transpired all through spring and fall game have been a mixed bag - are you saying its been that good with the allegations and potential sanctions going on?  That stuff is a distraction, I don't care who the team is. Not to mention always fielding questions about when and if their coach is going to be fired. 

Statistics don't mean much when the two teams who have never played before get on the field. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

matt

Starter

#16 : September 03, 2010, 07:38:33 AM

I don't know how you can say that UConn is a much better team before the game is even played. My only guess is that your only exposure to Michigan is through ESPN, who thinks Nick Sheridan has a chance to be Michigan's starting QB (he graduated last year). Rich has done his best to shelter the team from the media's negativity. The offense should be very good. You can see the excitement when Rich does talk to the media, which is wisely not as much as he did the last few years. Rich gave unprecedented access to the media the first two years and it caused the media s-storm. The walls around Fort Schembechler have risen again. Anyway, the first two years, Rich did his best to temper expectations due to talent deficiencies. That is not necessary this year. He seems almost giddy for this team to take the field. As I said before, spring and fall camps have been encouraging. It's just a matter of translating the growth and improvement on the actual field of play.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 03, 2010, 07:51:17 AM

I don't know how you can say that UConn is a much better team before the game is even played.

Georgia State (first season ever) won 41-7 last night.  Is there a chance they knock off Alabama later this year?  I don't think we can say that Alabama is better...they've never played.

www.Atlbucs.com

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 03, 2010, 07:28:50 PM

Just because in Vegas a team is favored doesnt mean Vegas likes them... it also factors on who will be betting the money. I guarantee more money is on Michigan then UCONN.

Vegas manipulates lines... just look at UW vs BYU. 85% of the money is on UW... I put money on BYU. They know people will jump on the Locker hype.

Plenty of factors for Vegas

matt

Starter

#19 : September 04, 2010, 06:56:59 PM

The clearly better team won in Ann Arbor today as I predicted.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 04, 2010, 07:01:11 PM

The clearly better team won in Ann Arbor today as I predicted.
As I predicted.

Maybe they'll start the "Rich-Rod-Ri-Guez (clap, clap, clap clap clap) chants like last year.  haha, that worked out.

www.Atlbucs.com

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 04, 2010, 09:51:25 PM

USF - Continue to play up and play down.

I think that aspect of the team was on the old Head Coach.  Skip Holtz should knock that crap out.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 05, 2010, 09:29:23 AM

USF - Continue to play up and play down.�

I think that aspect of the team was on the old Head Coach.  Skip Holtz should knock that crap out.

ECU had ups and down's like that and imo that's the players as much as the coach.  Who knows, though.

Horrible, horrible start for the BE this year.  If they keep playing like this they'll deserve to be disbanded.

www.Atlbucs.com

#23 : September 05, 2010, 11:14:03 AM

SEC predictions

East

1. Florida-Even though they lost 5 starters on D, expect that to be their strength. Janoris Jenkins will quickly make people forget Hayden and anchor a great secondary. Keep an eye on DE justin Trattou and the DL. on offense you'll see a more traditional Pro-style QB in Brantley, he is smart, accurate, and has the arm strength needed. moving Rainey to Slot is a good move. He should become a Percy Harvin II

prediction: 11-2 Sugar Bowl

2. Georgia- a veteran OL will help Caleb King get some Heisman talk and their young QB will have AJ Green as his main target. Green is a beast if he can keep his head on straight.

Prediction: 10-2 new years Day bowl game

3. Kentucky- Ky is no longer the doormat of old. Keep an eye on Derrick Locke, who is a triple threat at running, receiving, and returning.

Prediction: 8-4 Bowl game

4. South Carolina-5 years and the "Ol' ball Coach" has yet to find one decent QB at SC. Steve Garcia can put up some yards but his frequent 'brain fart" INTs are a killer.

Prediction: 7-5 crappy bowl game no one cares about

5. Tennessee- One thing is certain in CFB, where ever Lane Kiffin goes, disaster follows. UT will need 2-3 years to recover from the Lane debacle. Their schedule does them no favors either with Oregon, UF, LSU, Bama, and UGa in their first 7 games.

Prediction: 5-7

6. Vandy- Seriously, they just don't belong in this conference. Keep an eye on (if they are ever on TV) RB Warren Norman.

Prediction: 10 losses

West[/u]

1. Alabama- Reigning Champs with a returning QB, returning Heisman RB, and beastly WR Julio Jones. Lost some guys on D, but this is the SEC and teams just reload. Expect their running attack to be more dominant as they go to a 2-headed monster of Ingram and Richardson.

Prediction: 12-1 BCS NC game

2. Auburn- expect an improved D and a more potent O. QB Freak Cam Newton (6'6" 247lbs) will determine how far they go but he has a good WR in Darvin Adams and a trio of RBs to help.

Prediction: 9-3 Bowl team

3. Arkansas- Ryan Mallet will get some Heisman buzz as all his WRs returned.

Prediction: 9-3 Bowl Team

4. LSU- Jordan Jefferson was awful last season, mostly because he held on to the ball too long. A year of seasoning should change that and since he has 3 good returning WRs, there is no excuse. Uncharacteristically LSU's O may be better than their rebuilding D.

Prediction: 8-4 Bowl game

5. Ole Miss- If Masoli is ready to take over early, they could be much higher but they are taking a cautious approach. Keep an eye on DE Wayne Dorsey. Giving up 21 pts in the 4th to a division II school doesn't bode well.

Prediction: 7-5

6. Miss State- last year they won 5 games and had 1 lone star-Anthony Dixon, now he is gone. Mullen is a good coach, just not a miracle worker and their schedule is brutal with Auburn, @LSU, UGa as the next 3 games.

Prediction: 5-7

Top players:

QB: Mallett-Ark
RB: not Ingram but Richardson!!
WR: AJ Green-UGa
DB: JA Jenkins-UF or Peterson-LSU
LB: Kelvin Sheppard-LSU (or someone from Bama)
DL: ?? There are several with first round potential.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Predict your Conference « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools