Boards > College Football Board

Overrated vs. Underrated 2000 - 2006

(1/4) > >>

ronde bear:

--- Quote from: Ranman on October 21, 2007, 11:29:21 AM ---USC,

The intent was to show how preseason polling is ridiculous.

--- End quote ---

I agree. Really look beyond THESE stats and you will see that it is the polling that is overrated, not the teams. FSU was going on a 15 year period where they were top 5 every year. Same coach, mostly the same recruiting, so the preseason polls gave them the benefit of the dou bt more of ten than not. It just shows the problems with preseason polls

If you waited until week 6 to rank teams, this would be a non issue and there would be no speak of these teams being overrated but simply rated accordingly

Feel Real Good:
Fantastic analysis looking beyong the surface of the stats, USC Rules.

USC Rules:

The intent was to show how preseason polling is ridiculous.The data should be reviewed by season.   I only put up the past seven years to reflect that there is a small number of teams who have an advantage year in and out with their preseason standings.  That should add fuel to start up's like USF. 

Like all data you can argue either point which was the intent. 
If you are strong SEC you can argue that the B12 is over rated.  If you are a KY fan, you could argue Tenn is over rated.  If you are West coast you could argue the preseason polling of the E. Coast teams. 
Cheers,

--- End quote ---

Well really though, you aren't proving Pre-season polling to be ridiculous at all with this.  Looks like 5 of 7 years they pegged Florida fairly good.  I wonder how many years they got the others right? 

There are much better ways to argue pre-season polling to be ridiculous than adding subtracting several years and calling a team overrated because of it.  As I showed with Florida the voters got it right more often than not, just 2 seasons were bad inflating the number.  Over that 7 year period Florida was rated right where they should be 5 of 7 years.  Can't ask or expect much more than that.

redtab78:

The intent was to show how preseason polling is ridiculous.The data should be reviewed by season. I only put up the past seven years to reflect that there is a small number of teams who have an advantage year in and out with their preseason standings. That should add fuel to start up's like USF.

If you are strong SEC you can argue that the B12 is over rated. If you are a KY fan, you could argue Tenn is over rated. If you are West coast you could argue the preseason polling of the E. Coast teams.
Cheers,

--- End quote ---

While I do agree with the pre-season ranking, I think they should hold all rankings untill after the 5th game...

ranman:
USC,

The intent was to show how preseason polling is ridiculous.The data should be reviewed by season.   I only put up the past seven years to reflect that there is a small number of teams who have an advantage year in and out with their preseason standings.  That should add fuel to start up's like USF. 

If you are strong SEC you can argue that the B12 is over rated.  If you are a KY fan, you could argue Tenn is over rated.  If you are West coast you could argue the preseason polling of the E. Coast teams. 
Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version