Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Titans waive LaGarrette Blount « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

X Factor

Starter
#30 : September 05, 2010, 09:33:05 PM

Blount is overrated. He's extremely one-dimensional.
Agree.  He isn't going to contribute on special teams, he isn't a good blocker, he isn't the best receiver.

And he would be #3 on the depth chart, maybe even fourth, depending on Graham.

Yet he will get you a first down on third and one. Goal Line he would be a weapon...
Graham could do that, IMO.

Yea don't get me wrong.. I am a EG fan.. Him at FB does not give me a lot of confidence he will make it through the season... He is injury prone..

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 05, 2010, 09:49:23 PM

Wow....a rookie RB that isn't a great blocker or pro route runner? What a shocker. I'm pretty sure that's why we have coaches. You know...to coach up young men and develope them.

I love the argument that he can't have great potential cause nobody drafted him. Like there isn't a two page list of all time greats that were drafted in the 7th round or went undrafted. The fact he went undrafted and is a free agent means nothing. If you have good coaches, he can learn to block better and run better routes out of the backfield and better techniques to be a stand out special teams guy. However, you can't teach someone to be 6'1" 240lbs with freakish agility and speed.

There is no doubt he has great potential. Atleast not in the minds of nonbiased folks that use common sense. If you can seriously watch his college tape and then say with a straight face, that he isn't special...then you're either a great liar or just bull headed.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#32 : September 05, 2010, 09:57:11 PM

If he were "special", he'd be employed.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

lowlife

Starter
#33 : September 05, 2010, 10:02:12 PM

Man, your man crushes run deep.

X Factor

Starter
#34 : September 05, 2010, 10:10:36 PM

If he were "special", he'd be employed.

He won't be for long...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 05, 2010, 10:17:08 PM

Man, your man crushes run deep.

I guess. I'm not drinking any kool-aid with the guy. I'll be the first to admit he is an imature hot head with poor anger managment. There is a good chance he keeps punching people and blows his oppurtunity to ever play in the NFL. I just reckognize that this same thing is true of atleast 50% of rookies. Blount's idiocy was just on national TV and plastered on the internet so people some how think he is unique. Talib is just as bad if not worse, but we don't cut him because he is a great player with loads of potential. I feel the same way about Blount. If he screws up he is gone and we replace him with Carlos Brown or this Lumpkin dude. Not much of a risk imo.

All you can do is cross your fingers and hope these guys grow out of it. Hopefully the coaches have a little Dungy in them and do their best to help these young men become more than just good football players. Blount obviously needs a strong mentor to help him grow up before he throws away the oppurtunity he has been blessed with.

lowlife

Starter
#36 : September 05, 2010, 10:17:26 PM

Wow....a rookie RB that isn't a great blocker or pro route runner? What a shocker. I'm pretty sure that's why we have coaches. You know...to coach up young men and develope them.

I love the argument that he can't have great potential cause nobody drafted him. Like there isn't a two page list of all time greats that were drafted in the 7th round or went undrafted. The fact he went undrafted and is a free agent means nothing. If you have good coaches, he can learn to block better and run better routes out of the backfield and better techniques to be a stand out special teams guy. However, you can't teach someone to be 6'1" 240lbs with freakish agility and speed.

There is no doubt he has great potential. Atleast not in the minds of nonbiased folks that use common sense. If you can seriously watch his college tape and then say with a straight face, that he isn't special...then you're either a great liar or just bull headed.

I actually like him as a prospect runner, but not as anything else though he runs high.

Your logic of "I'm right and everyone else are idiots" is pretty asinine.

You don't learn a feel for the passing game. Some have it, some don't. The ones that don't usually take too long to learn to get open or never do. In a blitz happy passing league, the luxury of a one-dimensional power runner on a bad team is probably not worthwhile.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 05, 2010, 10:20:37 PM

Today's NFL is a lot more cerebral....a lot of guys can't just get by on talent alone anymore.  An emphasis on brains seems to be creeping into a lot of teams criteria.  Not sure if you've heard him try to speak....his IQ is probably under 70.  Not much upstairs so it's not surprising he was having trouble with a pro playbook.  It would be interesting to see his transcripts from college and see some of his classwork.  They shouldn't go near this guy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 05, 2010, 10:22:07 PM

DOOM, Brandon Jacobs averages 10 catches a year. Not exactly a great reciever, but I think the Giants use him pretty effectively.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 05, 2010, 10:27:03 PM

Today's NFL is a lot more cerebral....a lot of guys can't just get by on talent alone anymore.  An emphasis on brains seems to be creeping into a lot of teams criteria.  Not sure if you've heard him try to speak....his IQ is probably under 70.  Not much upstairs so it's not surprising he was having trouble with a pro playbook.  It would be interesting to see his transcripts from college and see some of his classwork.  They shouldn't go near this guy.

I'd usually agree about the smarts. I didn't want us to take Dez Bryant because he is so obviously stupid. However, I think RB is the one spot where you can use dumb guys. 90% of the RBs in the league sound just like Blount when they talk. Caddie sounds like a country bumkin, Emmit Smith sounds like a total moron when he opens his mouth. Take a look at Chris Johnson. I'm just not buying that he isn't smart enough to play RB.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-on-the-fringe/09000d5d81a27668/On-the-Fringe-Make-or-break-for-Blount

X Factor

Starter
#40 : September 05, 2010, 10:51:13 PM

Bottom line he was the best power runner in the draft. Mid round pick who dropped because of character issues. The Titans are hoping he clears waivers so they can sign him to their PS. Considering where we are at at RB why wouldn't you take a chance on a guy with this type of potential. He wouldn't cost much and he has tons of upside...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 05, 2010, 11:03:06 PM

Bottom line he was the best power runner in the draft. Mid round pick who dropped because of character issues. The Titans are hoping he clears waivers so they can sign him to their PS. Considering where we are at at RB why wouldn't you take a chance on a guy with this type of potential. He wouldn't cost much and he has tons of upside...

That's what I'm trying to say. I mean if he gets here and he is too stupid to learn the offense, or he hits somebody...then you cut him and move on. But why not give him a chance when he is exactly what our backfield lacks? I love EG as much as the next guy, but dude is 32 and on his way out. Blount could be our new EG for years to come. We'd go from EG to LG!  ;D

Handiman1031

Second String
#42 : September 05, 2010, 11:29:58 PM

Claim him. Cut Pressley. Cross train Lumpkin at FB behind Graham.  Sign Pressley to the PS after he clears waivers.

That would solve all problems at least for now as far as our RB issues go.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#43 : September 06, 2010, 12:05:53 AM

Claim him. Cut Pressley. Cross train Lumpkin at FB behind Graham.  Sign Pressley to the PS after he clears waivers.

That would solve all problems at least for now as far as our RB issues go.

I like Pressley. He plays Wefense and is a great lead blocker. I didn't see great things from Roy and 'Wood, who were our contingent plans if we just had Graham.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 06, 2010, 12:36:21 AM

Bottom line he was the best power runner in the draft.

Dixon.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Titans waive LaGarrette Blount « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools