Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joey G « previous next »
Page: 1 2

gone

Hall of Famer
: October 22, 2006, 06:31:39 PM

THe point I was trying to make is that Joey is looking like he can't catch a deep pass that isn't laid RIGHT in his hands.  From a QB point of view, just throwing it up there isn't the best thing to do, don't get me wrong.  But the TRUE elite recievers fight for it and get it sometimes.  Joey isn't even fighting for it.
Grads' deep ball has major issues, no doubt.  You'd have to be blind not to see it.  But some of them have been close enough that a reciever fighting for them would at the least get a finger on it.  I'm just not seeing any fight in Joey.  It's hard to look at a couple of those passes and think that one of them couldn't have been caught.  That last one today SHOULD have been caught, or at least hit Joey's hands...
So what I'm seeing is either a guy not giving it his all, or a speed reciever who can't fight for or adjust to a deep ball that isn't picture perfect.

gone

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 22, 2006, 04:58:42 PM

I'm starting to have some questions about him.  Don't get me wrong, I have SERIOUS questions about Grads' deep ball.  But some of those long passes in the last few weeks it seemed like Joey laid off.  Now, as I'm sure we all know if there was ONE thing Simms could do well, it was put a ball on a dime from 50+....
I wonder now, how much of Joey's success was built off of Simms?  That last deep ball to the end zone was a corner route.  Joey did NOT fight for position.  Grads put it where it was SUPPOSED to go.  Joey just didn't get there.  Again, let me reiterate that Grads is no Simms on the deep ball.  But that ball was in the RIGHT place.  Joey wasn't.  Thinking back on some other deep passes the last few weeks, the ball was in the vicinity, but joey was just running his way and didn't seem to fight for it.  He seemed to say "well it ain't in my hands, so its inc".  Not every QB in the league can put it on a dime.  Great recievers fight for that ball and win the fight now and then.  I'm starting to question whether Joey has that fight in him...
If it's there, he's so fast he'll get it, but if it's off by a few feet he seems to just give it up.  No contact, no pushing, no diving...

BucfaninDC

Starter

#2 : October 22, 2006, 05:04:48 PM

Grads deep ball has never been 'where it was suppose to be".  His deep ball is just flat out sad.  It doesn't mean he can't be effective in the offense.  It just limits the deep threat that Galloway is.  To get him more involved in the O with his speed, they should continue the quick WR screen and let him run.  That worked against Cincy for a nice gain.  I just don't see Grads ever having a quality deep ball.  It just means Joey is less effective and possesion type receivers like Clayton and Ike need to keep stepping up.  And the TE.  Nice catch by Warren today by the way.  Maybe he'll even turn out to be a decent 3rd or 4th option.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 22, 2006, 05:09:11 PM

i thought galloway either gave up on or misjudged a couple deep balls today too. 

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 22, 2006, 05:12:26 PM

Simms had that timing with Joey, Grads has only had a few weeks as the main guy. I didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like Grads really struggles with the deep balls. I think Grads will eventually get a little better, but he's a completely different kind of QB than Simms.

One thing is for sure...we have 10 more games to see what he can do. If he continues to struggle, then maybe we do need to look at a QB in the draft. Maybe not a 1st round pick, but someone who is a little more physically gifted than Grads but also fits Gruden's system. So far though, Grads hasn't blown any games for us.

I like what he brings to the table upstairs so I think we give him every chance to be our QB. The number of times we go deep in a game are a handfull. He just needs to work on that part of his game so when he gets them...he makes the play.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#5 : October 22, 2006, 05:15:56 PM

Grads missed a huge number of passes today. Most of them not even close.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 22, 2006, 05:21:09 PM

Were they deep ones or did he just miss a lot of throws in general?

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

BucfaninDC

Starter

#7 : October 22, 2006, 05:24:50 PM

Were they deep ones or did he just miss a lot of throws in general?

Based on this game, the majority of his passes within 15 yards were fine.  His deep ball was WAY off today.  Nothing that came close to a receiver.  He really needs to work on it, or they need to get Galloway involved in other ways to make him effective, because the deep ball just doesn't seem like a viable option with Grads.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 22, 2006, 05:32:30 PM

I too have had my su**CENSORED**ions on a few deep balls, both with Clayton and Galloway.  The camera angle and game speed haven't been available to see when they pulled up on the route if they did before the ball was there.  Maybe it's something SR/JF can look into if they can get a look at the all 22 tape.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 22, 2006, 05:36:52 PM

What's the problem on here about Grad and the deep ball? Seems like he had pretty good touch in the NO game huh? The deep plays the past few games have all been covered pretty damn well. Nothing you can do about that, he's put the ball out there but it's been great coverage. Stop crying about his deep ball...

BucfaninDC

Starter

#10 : October 22, 2006, 05:44:05 PM

Why can't people be upset about his deep ball?  It is off, no one can deny that.  Does it make him a bad QB?  No, Brad Johnson never had a good deep ball, he was still effective.  I think they need to try the deep ball less because its an obvious weakness of his.  Try and use Joey in other ways to effectively use his speed.  Grads is fine in this offense.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 22, 2006, 05:50:35 PM

If you got a threat like Joey, the deep ball is important.

Grads did not have anything close to deep accuracy today.

Or short accuracy to be honest.

I hope I am wrong, but the kid is starting to settle into his 6th round status.  He has a lot of knocks on him, and I think the scouts were right in projecting him.  I doubt he was a steal.

BucfaninDC

Starter

#12 : October 22, 2006, 05:57:52 PM

I hope I am wrong, but the kid is starting to settle into his 6th round status.  He has a lot of knocks on him, and I think the scouts were right in projecting him.  I doubt he was a steal.

I'm willing to give him time because, well, Rattay isn't an option and Grads hasn't been completely awful.  His deep ball I think is, but he does well to avoid pressure which is a plus.  What could become an issue is the more tape there is of his poor deep passing, safeties will start playing up closer taking the medium range passes away daring Grads to beat them deep. 

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 22, 2006, 06:00:16 PM

He needs to go back and practice with Joey on the long ball....OBD

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 22, 2006, 06:14:55 PM

I'm willing to give him time because, well, Rattay isn't an option and Grads hasn't been completely awful. His deep ball I think is, but he does well to avoid pressure which is a plus. What could become an issue is the more tape there is of his poor deep passing, safeties will start playing up closer taking the medium range passes away daring Grads to beat them deep.

Exactly.

And GRads does not have that ability, and it might hinder his game.

Nothing is worse than having a QB with limited skill sets.  And that appears to be the case with Grads.  The offense didn't do shidt today.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Joey G « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools