Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Not Pursuing Grant, Yet « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bucs1

Practice Squad
: March 16, 2007, 09:53:05 PM

From ProFootballTalk.com: http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

BUCS NOT PURSUING GRANT, YET

Although the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have brought in franchise-tagged defensive end Charles Grant for a visit, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Bucs will make no play in the short term for the current Saint.

A league source tells us that the Buccaneers were simply getting acquainted with Grant, since he's likely to be on the open market in either 2008 or 2009.

Another possible motive?  Since Grant clearly is unhappy with the Saints for restricting his movement, the Bucs might have been looking to pick up some insights as to the team's Xs and Os in preparation for the 2007 season.

If that's the case, it would be an intriguing twist on a not-so-uncommon game that teams play with each other during the season, when players discarded by one squad are sometimes snatched up by a division rival who is less interested in the guy's body than his brain.

If the Bucs had signed Grant to an offer sheet, the Saints would have received two first-round pick from Tampa if they had elected not to match.  With Tampa holding the No. 4 overall pick in a draft year featuring four guys who in any other year could be the clear-cut number 1 overall selection, there's no way that the Bucs would give up that pick for Grant.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#1 : March 16, 2007, 09:57:31 PM

koolbeans

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#2 : March 16, 2007, 10:18:03 PM

I can't buy the Xs and Os thing.   For one he's on the defense.  And he is still on the Saints. I don't think he would give up secrets while he's still on the team.  I think the first part was right. They are laying the groundwork for 2008.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#3 : March 16, 2007, 10:19:24 PM

Thought this article was a little obvious.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#4 : March 16, 2007, 11:15:51 PM

I think we were talking about this scenerio this morning, ya know 'canes, being a fact finding mission for Allen and the Bucs to have more info on Grant for next year as opposed to aggressively trying to acquire him this year. 

As much as I hope a side trade will be made, I really doubt you'll see Grant in a Buc uni in 2007. 

#5 : March 16, 2007, 11:49:10 PM

I just saw the Channel 8 Sports report saying that we would probably have to give up TWO of our number one picks including this year's for Grant, and to that I say without hesitation......................HELL NO!!

#6 : March 16, 2007, 11:52:50 PM

I just saw the Channel 8 Sports report saying that we would probably have to give up TWO of our number one picks including this year's for Grant, and to that I say without hesitation......................HELL NO!!
Did you even read the PFT report saying it's likely if we were to go after him we'd likely trade a pick this year and a cond. pick or two next year?

#7 : March 17, 2007, 01:38:34 AM

Yes dumbass, but there has been all kinds of other scenarios floatin around all day but the news made it sound like it's TWO #1's or nothing now. ::)

#8 : March 17, 2007, 01:40:22 AM

Aren't you like 40 yet you still call people dumbass without being provaked?

Oh and I've told you once, twice, thrice to never listen to most of the local news personalities, exception being Marc Lancaster.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : March 17, 2007, 07:35:51 AM

Grant = New Orlean Saint.  For the entire year.

whobdis

Pro Bowler

#10 : March 17, 2007, 08:48:42 AM

WAY to many people jumping the gun on this one. Yesterday I was listening to 1470 and J P Peterson first
comes on and says 'breaking news with the bucs..stay tuned'. Later..it's about Grant which at that point was about
12 hours old. Then after bashing the bucs FA's (again) he proclaims to all the Bucs are going to give 2 first round
picks for him. This of course gives the Gruden bashers a chance to call in an display their disgust with 'another idiotic move'.
Never once did Peterson explain teams rarely ever give the 2 picks up..usually a deal is worked out with players or picks
(aka Abraham). I was going to call and explain this..but realized they probably didn't want 'reason' to interfere
with their hatefest.

bucs1

Practice Squad
#11 : March 17, 2007, 09:20:06 AM

What are the chances that the Saints take the franchise tag off of Grant?

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#12 : March 17, 2007, 01:28:56 PM

What are the chances that the Saints take the franchise tag off of Grant?

Not good at all. Probably, he will play with them this season under the franchise tag. They know we aren't going to give up 2 1st round picks for him. Maybe 2a plus another pick in the draft a year from now or so, but not the franchise compensation. The price is so steep for a reason - they don't want these guys switching teams.

I would say based on his rhetoric that we are pursuing Grant this year. We are probably currently low balling the Saints to try to get him without doing the franchise tag thing. At worst, we got some good info on him for next season when he will not be franchised. At best, the Saints have an unhappy camper in their locker room whose heart lies with the division rival who brought him in for a visit. Notice, that was AT BEST (Karen, Chrispy).

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 17, 2007, 01:33:25 PM

The Saints could franchise him again next year so who knows what is going on? ???

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 17, 2007, 01:33:48 PM

The last player I can recall recently that had the franchise tag removed was Corey Simon from the Eagles.  He was tagged early in the off season a few years back only to later have the Eagles remove it thus making him an UFA.  He eventually signed with the Colts.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Not Pursuing Grant, Yet « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools