Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WELL LOOKY, LOOKY, IT'S BOISE STATE.....AGAIN! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

T

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 07, 2010, 12:14:15 PM

Still not sold on Boise State, they need to play better teams on a weekly basis to get my respect.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 07, 2010, 12:19:07 PM

Still not sold on Boise State, they need to play better teams on a weekly basis to get my respect.

Agreed that their incredibly weak schedule kills them, but they are a legit team.  It really is a shame they don't play better competition on a weekly basis, because there is something to be said for having to play more than 1 or 2 teams a year.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 07, 2010, 01:54:25 PM

Yes, it is totally impossible for any team to go undefeated in the SEC.  ::)

How on earth could any CFB team ever accomplish such a feat?

Oh wait!  ???

My mistake!!! :o

Both UF and Alabama did just that  last season!   ;D

T

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 07, 2010, 02:12:11 PM

Oh wait!  ???

Both UF and Alabama did just that  last season!   ;D

Yeah it's possible, every conference has down years or has a year where the conference strength lies within a few top ranked teams, but year in and year out the SEC is the toughest conference.

Within the context of this thread I'm not saying Boise State has to play the SEC for 3 months, I'm just asking they playing teams on the level of VT, more than once a year because, winning their weak conference alone should not give them a automatic bid to the BCS title game.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 07, 2010, 04:56:26 PM

Oh wait!  ???

Yeah it's possible, every conference has down years or has a year where the conference strength lies within a few top ranked teams, but year in and year out the SEC is the toughest conference.

Within the context of this thread I'm not saying Boise State has to play the SEC for 3 months, I'm just asking they playing teams on the level of VT, more than once a year because, winning their weak conference alone should not give them a automatic bid to the BCS title game.

You will not get a disagreement from me stating that the SEC overall is the toughest conference top to bottom many years.

However, it is not 12 juggernaut unbeatable football teams.  In fact the last couple of years the SEC has had only 2 really good teams and one of those lost to Utah!( non BCS team in 2008) while the other  managed to lose to  an average Michigan team in 2007 the year after winning an MNC.

There is just too much pseudo arrogance in the BCS conferences about their superiority over non BCS conferences as well as other BCS conferences.

After the Big (2) in the SEC, there were nothing but a lot of average teams in the SEC last season.  Watching lowly Jacksonville state knock of Ole Miss which by many was considered the 3rd best team in the SEC last season just begs a lot of questions concerning all this "MY CONFERENCE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOUR CONFERENCE" bluster.

Boise St  would compete successfully in any conference at this time.

Do you seriously believe Miss St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn ,Vandy ,Tennessee,LSU, South Carolina and even Florida considering how they played Saturday would be heavy favorites to beat Boise St?

Now I do believe MNC Alabama would beat them but of the others I think even Las Vegas would favor Boise this weekend.

T

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 07, 2010, 06:25:54 PM

Oh wait!  ???

You will not get a disagreement from me stating that the SEC overall is the toughest conference top to bottom many years.

However, it is not 12 juggernaut unbeatable football teams.  In fact the last couple of years the SEC has had only 2 really good teams and one of those lost to Utah!( non BCS team in 2008) while the other  managed to lose to  an average Michigan team in 2007 the year after winning an MNC.

There is just too much pseudo arrogance in the BCS conferences about their superiority over non BCS conferences as well as other BCS conferences.

After the Big (2) in the SEC, there were nothing but a lot of average teams in the SEC last season.  Watching lowly Jacksonville state knock of Ole Miss which by many was considered the 3rd best team in the SEC last season just begs a lot of questions concerning all this "MY CONFERENCE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN YOUR CONFERENCE" bluster.

Boise St  would compete successfully in any conference at this time.

Do you seriously believe Miss St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn ,Vandy ,Tennessee,LSU, South Carolina and even Florida considering how they played Saturday would be heavy favorites to beat Boise St?

Now I do believe MNC Alabama would beat them but of the others I think even Las Vegas would favor Boise this weekend.

Trust me I will never act like ANY Conference is a 12 team juggernaut on a unstoppable path of destruction, and superior to any other conference because I am of the belief anyone can beat anyone at anytime. With that said I do believe top to bottom the SEC is the most competitive conference in the country. Put Boise State against Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn or maybe even South Carolina and they will be tested.

All conferences have their up and down periods, not every team in a conference can be good at the same time, just a long season, and afterall we are talking about a bunch of 18-21 year old College guys. I'm not saying Boise State has to run a gauntlet of a schedule just play some middle of the pack BCS schools like they scheduled this year with VT & Oregon State. So they are at least battle tested against these schools and don't get dismantled in the title game.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 07, 2010, 06:38:18 PM

However, it is not 12 juggernaut unbeatable football teams.

Who has ever remotely hinted at that?

� In fact the last couple of years the SEC has had only 2 really good teams and one of those lost to Utah!( non BCS team in 2008) while the other� managed to lose to� an average Michigan team in 2007 the year after winning an MNC.

Right.  It's all smoke and mirrors.  Those last 4 National Champions and best bowl winning percentage (and most wins - by 9 friggin' games over next closest conference) since 2003 is all a media myth.  You ladies keep telling yourselves that.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 07, 2010, 07:50:52 PM

Playoffs.

Absolutely.  It ends the discussion. 

its a mute point... wont happen

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 07, 2010, 07:54:37 PM

Put that squad in the SEC, or the Pac, and see how they fare...

They wouldn't sniff the top 10 for a long time, and definitely not consistently.
You mean the same Pac ten team in Oregon that they shut down last year?

yeah the same Oregon team with all 5 new starters on the OL, a qb who couldnt throw a football, and a coach who didnt find his RB until after a punch. Not to disrespect Boise win because they killed Oregon. But week 1 Oregon wasnt week 5 Oregon.

But I do think Boise deserves a shot as much as it pains me because A) they win and everyone will give them respect B) they lose and it wont happen again. Ends the discussion.

I just LOL some of the stuff I read from other fans about Boise, one being Tennessee fans who say they have a more talented team because they are A) SEC B) look at the star rankings in recruiting.  Ill take Kellen Moore over any QB in the country.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 07, 2010, 08:35:27 PM

Agreed that their incredibly weak schedule kills them, but they are a legit team. It really is a shame they don't play better competition on a weekly basis, because there is something to be said for having to play more than 1 or 2 teams a year.

this nails it.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 07, 2010, 11:03:58 PM

Let's look back at last weeks games shall we?  The entire top 25 schedules cream puff games and Boise goes out and plays a tough VA Tech team who may just end up winning the ACC this year.  But that doesn't matter does it?

They are like 1-5 against nationally ranked teams in the last 5 years? 

They are legit...it's college football and it's tradition that is not. 

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#26 : September 08, 2010, 04:44:10 AM

Put that squad in the SEC, or the Pac, and see how they fare...

They wouldn't sniff the top 10 for a long time, and definitely not consistently.
You mean the same Pac ten team in Oregon that they shut down last year?

yeah the same Oregon team with all 5 new starters on the OL, a qb who couldnt throw a football, and a coach who didnt find his RB until after a punch. Not to disrespect Boise win because they killed Oregon. But week 1 Oregon wasnt week 5 Oregon.

But I do think Boise deserves a shot as much as it pains me because A) they win and everyone will give them respect B) they lose and it wont happen again. Ends the discussion.

I just LOL some of the stuff I read from other fans about Boise, one being Tennessee fans who say they have a more talented team because they are A) SEC B) look at the star rankings in recruiting.  Ill take Kellen Moore over any QB in the country.

You make more **CENSORED**ing excuses for Oregon when they lose than all of us make for the Bucs COMBINED.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 08, 2010, 11:31:56 AM

However, it is not 12 juggernaut unbeatable football teams.

Who has ever remotely hinted at that?

� In fact the last couple of years the SEC has had only 2 really good teams and one of those lost to Utah!( non BCS team in 2008) while the other� managed to lose to� an average Michigan team in 2007 the year after winning an MNC.

Right. �It's all smoke and mirrors. �Those last 4 National Champions and best bowl winning percentage (and most wins - by 9 friggin' games over next closest conference) since 2003 is all a media myth. �You ladies keep telling yourselves that.

No it is just opinion based on perception. Until there actually is a playoff all championships remain mythical.

So how badly would OLE MISS stomp Boise St?   Of course that would mean Jax st would be favored as well.  Hey the SEC has a great PR  in stating it is Tough to win in the SEC and it would be impossible to go undefeated in the SEC.. Funny thing! both UF and Alabama did it last season.

So does Northwestern have better than SEC speed in beating Vandy?

;D

Again I certainly concede that the SEC generally should be considered the toughest conference in CFB but top to bottom they have plenty of average and weak teams like every conference. Lately it appears that the conference is basically 2 top teams and a lot of average ones. Of course after watching UF this weekend I am not sure they are the best candidate for that Number 2 spot with Bama.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 08, 2010, 03:52:29 PM

No it is just opinion based on perception. Until there actually is a playoff all championships remain mythical.

Were the 1993 and 1999 National Champions mythical as well, or just the last four from the SEC?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 08, 2010, 05:03:19 PM

Playoffs.

+8916813685682482681

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WELL LOOKY, LOOKY, IT'S BOISE STATE.....AGAIN! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools