Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Please note: Politics are off limits on these boards. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #15 : October 19, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »

The warning should state, "UfoJoe is off limits on this board."

Except to hotties in the afterlife.

I agreed with my wife to part at death. So, ladies, once I'm gone, I'll be available again.

Thank you LD...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #16 : October 19, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »

''The world will change when you are ready to pronounce this oath:
I swear by my Life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man,
nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine. ''

-me

Very interesting. IMO, the political ban was primarily aimed at ufojoe. Joe ended up being censored, but I don't believe that was intent of the board's mighty rulers. It was more like what Bill Cosby said when telling his kids to shut up: "Fathers don't want justice, they want quiet!" Seems that many people were unable to control themselves well enough to not read joe's threads so they wanted joe to be controlled instead. A shame really.

I don't know the 'who' of your reasoning, but I think nailed the 'why'.  Whether it was ufojoe or someone else posting a controversial topic, it is sad that people (maybe ''she who shall not be named'') feel that if your opinion is different than their's and they lack the rational ability to explain their position, or ignore your's, the only course is to cause the cessation of intelectual intercourse.

It does seem this rule is not being strictly enforced.  The ''There is no hell'' thread was as controversial as it gets but everyone behaved, for the most part, and no action was taken.

And how is ''politics'' defined.  Most topics on this (Pirate Cove) board could be construed as political.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #17 : October 19, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »

obviously, this rule is no longer in effect...

« #18 : October 19, 2007, 02:08:31 PM »

Maybe all of the whiners have grown up a little...

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : October 19, 2007, 04:08:36 PM »

I swear by my Life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man,

-me

Sounds like something Ayn Rand might say.

With a name like John Galt??

« #20 : October 19, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »

-me

Very interesting. IMO, the political ban was primarily aimed at ufojoe. Joe ended up being censored, but I don't believe that was intent of the board's mighty rulers. It was more like what Bill Cosby said when telling his kids to shut up: "Fathers don't want justice, they want quiet!" Seems that many people were unable to control themselves well enough to not read joe's threads so they wanted joe to be controlled instead. A shame really.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #21 : October 19, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »

-me

ummmm k ...

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #22 : October 19, 2007, 03:16:41 PM »

-me

Big_MAC_Buc

Starter
« #23 : October 19, 2007, 03:44:18 PM »

-me

Sounds like something Ayn Rand might say.

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma  made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth. --Umberto Eco

« #24 : October 19, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »

And I'm just saying that the only reason they banned political threads was because they had to deal with so many people whining about them. If there's no whining, they probably don't even check these boards very often.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #25 : October 19, 2007, 02:23:08 PM »

I wasn't putting my opinion out there, I was making an observation.

I see nothing wrong with political threads, it is good food for thought, on my end anyway.  I am not a real political guy, so seeing the many viewpoints those threads involve is nice.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Please note: Politics are off limits on these boards. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools