Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you burn Quran if it killed a soldier? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

: September 07, 2010, 10:04:55 AM

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/09/florida-pastor-still-plans-a-burn-a-quran-protest-on-911-despite-warnings-by-petraeus/1

Now I know this situation is being blown out of proportion by Islamic radicals just as much as the Florida nut job, but should this pastor be stopped from burning the Qurans if it is believed it can lead to problems and possibly the death of more US troops in Afghanistan? Note, this is not a question of should the Quran be burned, it is asking if it is the responsibility of the US Government to stop an American from conducting an otherwise legal act if it has the potential to kill US troops, albeit indirectly. Where is the line drawn?

I think this burning event is nothing more than a pastor trying to take advantage of sentiments for his personal gain. In interviews I've seen him give he contradicts himself so much it's pitiful. If someone went out and burned bibles, would that be considered a hate crime? Does that apply to the Quran as well?

Should the burning be stopped?

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Dash Riprock

Starter

#1 : September 07, 2010, 10:09:21 AM

Personally I'm against the burning of the koran, but where does it stop? Is the next argument going to be if you protest against the ground zero mosque that will put troops in harms way. Where does this slippery slope stop.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 07, 2010, 10:12:19 AM

I'm against the Quran burning because it endangers the troops in Afghanistan. No need to poke a stick in a hornet's nest, even if it makes someone "feel" better.

It accomplishes nothing.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

jimbobuc

Second String

#3 : September 07, 2010, 12:20:21 PM

Can't think of any example where burning a book is a good idea.

BTW, this is NOT a legal act. They were denied a permit to light this fire - they were planning on doing it anyway. I hope more mature thinking prevails.

Book burning is the height of fascism, IMO.

Stratobuc

Starter
#4 : September 07, 2010, 12:31:34 PM

Burning books is the gateway.....

NovaBuc

Starter

#5 : September 07, 2010, 01:14:21 PM

Book burning of any kind should not be condoned. It smacks of censorship and revisionist history, something that should never happen in the US.

kbl11

Starter

#6 : September 07, 2010, 01:20:51 PM

I think anyone in this country should have the right to burn any book they want

I dont think anyone thinks this guy should do it, but IMO he should have the right

spartan

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 07, 2010, 01:47:31 PM

This is the exact flip side of the Mosque issue. Don't mean to open a can of worms there, but other than the fire ordnance, best I can see they have the right to do this. Again, as with the Mosque one must ask the wisdom of doing this. It is dumb to put it mildly.

Interesting to observe however how the media are up in arms about how offensive this is and not a peep about their Constitutional rights. At least not that I have seen so far and am willing to be corrected.

TheShadow

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 07, 2010, 02:02:44 PM

I was wondering if anyone else was going to notice.

Quit beefing about the past and start hoping for the future

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 07, 2010, 02:34:54 PM

This is the hypocrisy of religion. A "man of the cloth" who is supposed to preach tolerance towards others is going forward with an act that puts lives at stake? If there are attacks that were in direct result of this on American military lives then this pastor should be held for however many counts of manslaughter.

jimbobuc

Second String

#10 : September 07, 2010, 03:21:15 PM

I see this as akin to yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater. You have a pretty good idea that the consequenses of your action will lead to the injury or death of others, but you do it anyway.

My guess is that purely from a freedom of speech angle, he can do it. It's publicizing it as a spectacle that probably crosses the line into incitement.

From a personal perspective, I think it's one of the most childish, arrogant, selfish things I have ever heard of. It lowers him to the level of the people he so hates. 

acacius

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 07, 2010, 03:38:38 PM

Count me among those who would consider the guy a terrible bleephole for it, but that he ought to be allowed to burn the books.  Rather than comparing it to the mosque situation, try comparing it to the idiots who burn American flags.  Granted, the U.S. military doesn't kill people in retaliation when people burn American flags, but the analogy should be fairly clear.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 07, 2010, 04:01:41 PM

The best way to handle it of course, instead of turning it into a World event, likethe NY mosque was, to completely ignore it. All press forget about it and just move on. But today's "press" need to stir things up for ratings right.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

acacius

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 07, 2010, 04:16:23 PM

True that.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

#14 : September 07, 2010, 04:30:07 PM

Sadly you are missing the bigger picture. Yes if you burn the Quran you will endanger the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq but the bigger danger is that all civilians will be put at risk too. So that means a lot of US tourists will suddenly be seen as legitimate targets.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you burn Quran if it killed a soldier? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools