Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you burn Quran if it killed a soldier? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 07, 2010, 04:47:44 PM

This is the exact flip side of the Mosque issue. Don't mean to open a can of worms there, but other than the fire ordnance, best I can see they have the right to do this. Again, as with the Mosque one must ask the wisdom of doing this. It is dumb to put it mildly.

Interesting to observe however how the media are up in arms about how offensive this is and not a peep about their Constitutional rights. At least not that I have seen so far and am willing to be corrected.

QFT.

Another hole in that "the liberal media is a myth" argument.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 07, 2010, 05:28:05 PM

Free speech means that anyone can burn whatever book they want as long as they aren't breaking any laws.  That doesn't mean it's smart or the right thing to do, but the government doesn't and shouldn't have the power to prevent it.

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#17 : September 07, 2010, 05:43:28 PM

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 07, 2010, 06:22:58 PM

Having the right doesn't mean it has to be exercised.  At some point one should realize why the word stupid exists, and try to avoid the label.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 07, 2010, 06:35:36 PM

Personally I think it should be illegal to deface or burn a religious book to make a point.  I am not the slightest bit religious but would dream of deliberately upsetting people that are religious.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 07, 2010, 06:54:55 PM

Personally I think it should be illegal to deface or burn a religious book to make a point.  I am not the slightest bit religious but would dream of deliberately upsetting people that are religious.

How about burning the American flag?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 07, 2010, 07:06:17 PM

How about burning the American flag?

I wouldn't burn any flag TBH.   What retards do in other countries should have no bearing on what educated civilized people do in this country.

Seriously, the Pastor concerned should be utterly ashamed of himself, disgraceful. 

DynaMike Glennon

Pro Bowler

#22 : September 07, 2010, 09:18:45 PM

Is this the same preacher that's always seen at USF telling everyone they're going to Hell. He's the truth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=CBc57yVS3G4

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 07, 2010, 10:18:11 PM

This is the exact flip side of the Mosque issue. Don't mean to open a can of worms there, but other than the fire ordnance, best I can see they have the right to do this. Again, as with the Mosque one must ask the wisdom of doing this. It is dumb to put it mildly.

Interesting to observe however how the media are up in arms about how offensive this is and not a peep about their Constitutional rights. At least not that I have seen so far and am willing to be corrected.

QFT.

Another hole in that "the liberal media is a myth" argument.

I agree. All the liberals supported Draw Muhammad day, but somehow Burn a Quran day is different because it's being held by a bunch of people with opposing views to them?

burger40

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 07, 2010, 10:20:55 PM

this is just like the mosque. they have the freedom of speech to express their displeasure with islam by burning the koran but they shouldn't do it since it will only stoke the radical sects of islam and give them recruiting material while doing nothing positive.

we can't bend over backwards to every single whim of radical islam but when people do stuff like this they don't do any good and a whole lot of bad.

at least i'm a conservative who is being consistent, i think the mosque is a bad idea but wouldn't want to legally deny them the right to build the mosque. same thing with these idiots who want to burn the qu'ran.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 07, 2010, 10:33:10 PM

this is just like the mosque. they have the freedom of speech to express their displeasure with islam by burning the koran but they shouldn't do it since it will only stoke the radical sects of islam and give them recruiting material while doing nothing positive.

I doubt this guy changes anything in terms of the nutjobs. They've got plenty of other stuff on their crazy agenda already.

Reminding crazies that their holy book is really just a book, period, is a worthy goal. Reminds me of my Bible as Lit prof who walked in and punted the bible across the room because it was "just a book". Sadly I doubt this guy is going for that message.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#26 : September 07, 2010, 11:56:00 PM

Depends. Is the book the one committing the murder, or is it being used as the weapon that kills him?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 08, 2010, 01:53:17 AM

That's pretty presumptuous, don't you think?

burger40

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 08, 2010, 02:35:22 AM

That's pretty presumptuous, don't you think?
what positive things does it accomplish?

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville

Dash Riprock

Starter

#29 : September 08, 2010, 07:55:13 AM

Did they ask The NY Times if printing Abu Grab photos would kill American soldiers? Burning religous books is bad, but where was the stink about soldiers lives when the Times and other left wing news outlets post stuff sure to inflame people in the middle east. This piss ant of a preacher with a following of 50 people gets all this coverage while the Times gets a free pass, what a f ing joke.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Would you burn Quran if it killed a soldier? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools