Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In all seriousness... (usf students) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

: October 21, 2007, 01:09:40 AM

I don't know anyone who thinks USF would "kill" UF. But, I know a ton of Gator fans who think UF would kill USF with no logical reason behind it. My take...in Gainesville Gators win, at Ray Jay, Bulls win....neutral site game...coin flip.

They are pretty evenly matched. USF has the better defense UF has the better offense.
2010 will settle the debate

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 21, 2007, 04:58:20 PM

I don't know anyone who thinks USF would "kill" UF. But, I know a ton of Gator fans who think UF would kill USF with no logical reason behind it. My take...in Gainesville Gators win, at Ray Jay, Bulls win....neutral site game...coin flip.

They are pretty evenly matched. USF has the better defense UF has the better offense.
2010 will settle the debate

Not really.  The debate is about THIS year.  Those teams will be completely different. 

gatorgirl!

Starter

#2 : October 20, 2007, 01:00:43 PM

I understand where you're coming from. Trust me I do. It just amazes me how quickly things blow up on here.

My college life.....I did my AA and about 15 credit hours towards my BA at University of Florida....my mom passed away and I finished my BA online dual enrolled at both schools. Trust me, talk about weird, however I don't think a full-time online student can really be called a "student" as they're not participating in ANYTHING on campus. I am now at USF, full time, pursuing a Master's degree so I can move up in ranks at my job.

I'm all for the state schools. I did enjoy seeing USF take their ride up the ranks, and I still want to see them prevail now that they're not invincible...I just got slightly annoyed by the bandwagon fans and those that act like they've been there forever. The logic some fans use as to why they're #2 is a little out there. So, my apologies to the real fans....but to the bandwagon...get a life. and half a brain.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 20, 2007, 12:41:33 PM

For the record.  I am not a Gator hater.  I pull for all the state school's to do well.  I did root for Auburn to beat the Gators, but that was because it had a direct impact on our national title hopes.   If we can't win it, I hope any of our state school's win it before an out of state school does.

This state produces 350 D1 scholarship football players per year.  The rest of the country tries to raid our state during recruitng.  Florida is the football capital of the world and any year the national champs aren't housed in the state of Florida is a sham.

Go Bulls!

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 20, 2007, 12:38:36 PM

I thought you said you went to a Community College in Gainesville and are finishing up at USF.  Now you went to UF and are a USF graduate student.   I am confused.

If that is the case then I guess I over reacted.  All I saw you say earlier was that you were a student at USF, but a Gator fan.

gatorgirl!

Starter

#5 : October 20, 2007, 12:34:38 PM

I'M DOING GRADUATE WORK THERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!!!!! I PAID TO GO TO UF....NOW MY JOB PAYS ME TO GO TO USF! end of story.

Lordy lordy it amazes me what people get stuck on when it comes to these boards.

Oh...and my parents. they went to USC and UCLA. Thanks for asking.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 20, 2007, 10:45:23 AM

GatorGirl....did you say you are a USF student, but a Gator fan????

On what F'ing planet does that make sense?  Did you go to one high school and root for another too??

Wow.  I think stating something like that should call for an immediate expulsion.  Now I think I have seen it all.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#7 : October 20, 2007, 10:24:40 AM

UConn is the one team in the big east that still controls its own destiny at this point.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 20, 2007, 12:26:52 PM

WOW. Since when has USF been a school with a dedicated fan base...hmm since about 3 games ago? Okay. Apparantly, you've never stepped foot on a USF campus because about 90% of students their have team allegiances lying with another team...that is until USF started to win.

Hmmm, right, USF just started to win, they had such a looooong history of losing until 3 games ago..... brilliant observation. You have no clue about the history of USF football..... and the percentage of students who just can't let go of mommy and daddy's team is disgustingly high but it's not 90%

USF is and has always been a commuter school,

Another brilliant observation .... You do know that USF has more beds on campus than FSU now? And the ones living just off campus is growing at lightning speed. Keep getting your info on USF from the national media ....

people go there because it's easy or because the program might be better. USF isn't like UF, FSU, Miami, USC.... you don't go there because you have grown up watching the Bulls or it's a family history thing.

I think we're getting more and more coming there to maybe break away from the family history, tradition thing.... maybe kids that want to start their own tradition ....  self sufficient, independent thinking students.

If you're at USF doing post graduate work after going to UF or wherever, that should be your number one school before USF but, IMO, to go to USF as your only college with sports but still hold your parents' team as number one shows a definitive lack of maturity.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 20, 2007, 12:23:57 PM

It just blows my mind.  We recruit the same kids that the Gators do.  So if you were to run into a kid that had UF and USF as his final 2 on a recruitng trip you would pull him aside and say GO GATORS! ???

Please someone shoot me now.  I guess the kids at the University of Ohio should root for Ohio State in their annual game too.  Or when FAU plays UF in a few weeks the FAU students should all root for the Gators. 

This is ameteur athletics.  It is about school pride and pulling for your fellow students.  I can't imagine sitting next to Matt Grothe in class and saying "Hey Man, Tim Tebow would kick your ass.  Go Gators."  The thought is just completely foreign to me.  People never cease to amaze me in this town. 

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#10 : October 20, 2007, 06:38:53 AM

First we need to deal with Uconn who took care of business against Luisville tonight.  Aided by a horrible call I might add, I guess we weren't screwed last night.  The Big East refs just suck.

I couldn't believe my eyes when watching that game. The ref was standing directly behind the UConn player when he waived for a fair catch. Frickin' unbelievable.

USF is not a good road team. The AU, FAU, and Rutgers games were all very sloppy performances by the Bulls this season. The best road game they ever played was last seasons win against WVU, I had hoped they had turned the corner as far as performance in away games, but they still have a ways to go. Too many mistakes. They need to be focused and on top of their game to avoid a let down at UConn next week.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 20, 2007, 12:16:47 PM

USF isn't like UF, FSU, Miami, USC....you don't go there because you have grown up watching the Bulls or it's a family history thing.

That will change over time.  Maybe not in the next decade or two but eventually it will change.

joedav01

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 20, 2007, 12:14:43 PM

I am a USF alum.  I have spent plenty of time on campus. Grad students who spent their undergrad years at another shool is one thing.  But, to be a student getting your undergrad there and rooting for another school is uncomprehensible to me.

I grew up in MD a huge MD Terps fan.  A lot of my friends went there.  But, from the moment I stepped foot as a student on the USF campus I was a Bulls fan 100%.  Pro sports is one thing, but to not be loyal to your school and to root for another school is absurd.

gatorgirl!

Starter

#13 : October 20, 2007, 02:50:48 PM

If you find yourself a Gator girl...never let her go! =P

As for USF....I know they have dorms and off-campus housing apartments around the campus. I didn't know they had more beds than FSU...but living on campus I'm aware of. It's got a few more years to build on though before they shed the complete commuter school image....there's still alot of us students driving in from home be it in Tampa...Pinellas...etc. Trust me, I'm aware that USF is building and growing fast....practically record time for the university standard. And I love watching it grow!!

While I know that USF hasn't had losing seasons, they've always been decent....they didn't have a large fan base before this. They never sold out RayJay....they rarely sold out one half....rarely opened the third tier of seats. I know Tampa is a bandwagon city...I know it's hard to start loving a team that isn't famous....It's not so much the bandwagon effect that I have a problem with, I mean even I jumped on it and started cheering...the WVU game, our table was one of the loudest ones in there. I guess my problem came with the many fans stating that UF can't hold their own with USF...that because they beat Auburn in OT by a field goal...and we lost in the last 30 seconds to Auburn by a field goal....well that they could kill us. I let my own personal favorites get involved, but that kind of logic is just plain dumb. That'd be like saying USF will lose to Cinci since Rutgers beat them. Who knows who will win the USF CINCI game....ya know?

So for the record...while I am a gator fan...I can still say go bulls, we'll be pulling for ya to get a bowl game...bc I'd love to see the financial benefits help the Bulls get their own stadium. It's just nice to see some of those fans be quieted by a tough loss. Losing ain't easy...not for any team...but it happens to the best of us.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 20, 2007, 02:55:20 PM

It's got a few more years to build on though before they shed the complete commuter school image....there's still alot of us students driving in from home be it in Tampa...Pinellas...etc.

When you have a population of 2.7 million in the commuter band a lot of kids take the cheaper option of staying at home.  When the college is based in a little town with a population of around 100k the kids have to live on campus.   ;)

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In all seriousness... (usf students) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools