Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris & Mixed Message « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 2446
Offline
: September 15, 2010, 11:07:28 AM

No, I'm not talking about going for it on 4th down against the Browns. I'm talking about the actual play that was called. Morris sense being named the head coach has consistently mentioned "physical violence" & mental toughness" when describing the "lasting contender" he and general manager Mark Dominik are building.

The question is with the Bucs still looking for that ever elusive identity why not just run the ball to help build the physical identity he talks so much about? Further more, for the second week in a row the team will practice at the Trop to escape the elements.

To me all he is doing is mixing his message.

 


nitey

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 3466
Offline
#1 : September 15, 2010, 11:13:31 AM

Yucc,

Olsen was in charge of the play call, so you really can't hang that one on Morris unless you know for a fact that Morris had input on the call.

As for the message about using the Trop - I fully agree.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

yuccaneers

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 2446
Offline
#2 : September 15, 2010, 11:19:39 AM

As the head coach Morris has input in every call and decision made surrounding the Bucs. Olson is no doubt the architect of the offense and the one who calls the plays. But Morris is not going to just allow Olson to run things with out running plays during critical situation in a game without any input


Ramonb

*****
Pro Bowler

Posts : 1061
Offline
#3 : September 15, 2010, 12:36:13 PM

That play was there, and had Freeman been able to get the ball to Gilmore...it would have ended the game.  It was the perfect call, it was the execution that faultered.

bucwildfan

****
Starter

Posts : 489
Offline
#4 : September 15, 2010, 12:49:29 PM

Ramonb wrote:
Quote
That play was there, and had Freeman been able to get the ball to Gilmore...it would have ended the game.  It was the perfect call, it was the execution that faultered.

Agree

Biggs3535

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 31614
Online
#5 : September 15, 2010, 01:28:12 PM

yuccaneers wrote:
Quote
As the head coach Morris has input in every call and decision made surrounding the Bucs. Olson is no doubt the architect of the offense and the one who calls the plays. But Morris is not going to just allow Olson to run things with out running plays during critical situation in a game without any input


The running game had the three previous downs to get a first down or score.  They couldn't do it.  

I have no problem with the play call, especially since it did work.  Gilmore was open, Free just has to get him the ball.


Blaze688

******
Hall of Famer

Posts : 3094
Offline
#6 : September 15, 2010, 01:51:47 PM

Freeman was told, specifically, not to throw the ball.  Olson called the play on 3rd down (with the special instruction not to pass), but a timeout was called.  They ran the ball instead.  Then, on fourth, Olson called the play again, and Freeman assumed the "no throw" stipulation was still in effect.

I heard that from Stroughter, or Cadillac, or someone on 620AM the other day.


keeponbucn

******
Hall of Famer

Posts : 11481
Offline
#7 : September 15, 2010, 02:57:09 PM

Blaze688 wrote:
Quote
Freeman was told, specifically, not to throw the ball.  Olson called the play on 3rd down (with the special instruction not to pass), but a timeout was called.  They ran the ball instead.  Then, on fourth, Olson called the play again, and Freeman assumed the "no throw" stipulation was still in effect.

I heard that from Stroughter, or Cadillac, or someone on 620AM the other day.



That's what it looked like to me, any other time Free would have easily got the ball there.

Not sure why on earth they would tell him that, he's wide open and puts you up 10 which ices the game. WTF is my question

Biggs3535

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 31614
Online
#8 : September 15, 2010, 02:59:49 PM

Blaze688 wrote:
Quote
Freeman was told, specifically, not to throw the ball.  Olson called the play on 3rd down (with the special instruction not to pass), but a timeout was called.  They ran the ball instead.  Then, on fourth, Olson called the play again, and Freeman assumed the "no throw" stipulation was still in effect.

I heard that from Stroughter, or Cadillac, or someone on 620AM the other day.


If that (he was told not to throw the ball) is in fact true, then just tell him to take a knee.

That doesn't make any sense, and sounds a little revisionist.


Pick6

*
Hall of Famer
******
Posts : 5150
Offline
#9 : September 15, 2010, 03:04:33 PM

i would've liked to see graham up the gut there, but he did fumble the last time they tried that.  i would imagine that the head coach decides whether or not to go for it and then put your trust in your OC to make the playcall - philosophically both guys should be on the same page, but i don't see a defensive coach micromanaging offensive playcalls.  maybe in game prep when you decide on a package of "go to" plays, but not while the play clock is ticking down in a game situation.

ultimately, i put that missed opportunity in the same category as the wide open throw to mike williams - it's not as likely to reoccur as these guys get into the groove of the season and as they rack up more career starts.  a QB making his 10th start in a season opener where he hasn't practiced the previous 3 weeks is going to screw some things up.

if the bucs hit that play, opponents have to account for it in short yardage situations the whole season, and it would actually create more opportunities to ram it up the middle in future games.  stuff like that and the repeated screens to mike williams give future opponents more to plan for even though they didn't pay off sunday

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
******
Hall of Famer

Posts : 17206
Offline
#10 : September 15, 2010, 04:03:40 PM

Blaze688 wrote:
Quote
Freeman was told, specifically, not to throw the ball.  Olson called the play on 3rd down (with the special instruction not to pass), but a timeout was called.  They ran the ball instead.  Then, on fourth, Olson called the play again, and Freeman assumed the "no throw" stipulation was still in effect.

I heard that from Stroughter, or Cadillac, or someone on 620AM the other day.


What the heck?   The QB was ordered not to throw the ball?   I wonder how that would have set with a guy like Dan Marino.


JM2

*****
Pro Bowler

Posts : 1232
Online
#11 : September 15, 2010, 04:57:47 PM

Well truth be told it wasn't Dan Marino. It was Josh freeman starting his 10th game, first of the new year, after missing weeks and still suffering from a broken thumb.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
******
Hall of Famer

Posts : 17206
Offline
#12 : September 15, 2010, 05:11:21 PM

I have a feeling Dan Marino in his rookie year would have had just as much of a problem with that as he would in his final year.  

This Bucs team is going nowhere this year.  They might as well let Freeman develop and throw some passes.


awitron

******
Hall of Famer

Posts : 5984
Offline
#13 : September 15, 2010, 09:13:22 PM

Harry wrote:
Quote
I have a feeling Dan Marino in his rookie year would have had just as much of a problem with that as he would in his final year.  

This Bucs team is going nowhere this year.  They might as well let Freeman develop and throw some passes.


Say something happens and we turn it over again there by passing on 4th and short.. this board would KILL Rah and Olson. Freeman should have tucked it and ran for it, but he should not have thrown the ball unless it was 100% wide open and it wasnt.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

Condor Bastadon

****
Starter

Posts : 606
Offline
#14 : September 16, 2010, 01:09:12 AM

Freeman himself admitted that he just missed the throw in his PC. He had already decided that he was just gonna run the ball and try to catch the corner, but saw that he couldn't so he hit the ground. Gilmore was indeed open and he should have gotten the ball to him.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris & Mixed Message « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools