Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2010 Tampa Bay Rays Continued... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 30

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: September 25, 2010, 08:35:14 PM

Since the main thread disappeared, I'll start a new one.

Yanks lose again today and the Rays are up 4-0.  If they hold on, they'll be up 1.5 games.

Somebody want to clue me in as to why Dan Johnson is playing 3B?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : September 25, 2010, 09:10:11 PM

What happened to the season long thread?  Any how - Garza throwing better, as to our 3rd baseman - I am open to suggestion - I haven't a clue as to what Dan J is on 3rd?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 25, 2010, 10:01:06 PM

dbucfan wrote:
What happened to the season long thread?

I suppose this wonderful new message board ate it.  I PM'ed the Admins about it yesterday and haven't heard back.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 25, 2010, 10:04:39 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
dbucfan wrote:
What happened to the season long thread?

I suppose this wonderful new message board ate it.  I PM'ed the Admins about it yesterday and haven't heard back.

The thread still exists. But it's lost...not listed in the thread list.

http://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=3&id=1083166&limit=20&limitstart=3720#1254053

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#4 : September 25, 2010, 10:15:45 PM

I see it listed with no problems.

http://pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=3&id=1083166&limit=20&limitstart=3720

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 25, 2010, 10:17:32 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
Since the main thread disappeared, I'll start a new one.

Yanks lose again today and the Rays are up 4-0.  If they hold on, they'll be up 1.5 games.

Somebody want to clue me in as to why Dan Johnson is playing 3B?

Longoria is injured.  Out 3-4 games.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 25, 2010, 10:32:23 PM

SugarRay wrote:

http://pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=2&func=view&catid=3&id=1083166&limit=20&limitstart=3720

The thread is still available, but it isn't showing up on the Pirate's Cove.  Post in it if you don't believe me.

SugarRay wrote:
Longoria is injured. Out 3-4 games.

Yeah, I know that.  But why is Dan Johnson playing at 3B defensively, instead of Zoby or SRod?

I've read that Maddon said he was satisfied with the reports from Triple-A and Friedman, so he put DJ out there.  All I know Johnson has never played a game at 3B in his major league career, so I would prefer someone with a little better glove at the hot-corner in Longo's absence.  Maybe that's just me...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 25, 2010, 10:36:06 PM

... even Aybar - who has played there.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 25, 2010, 10:38:40 PM

I'd rather see SRod there, but honestly I have no problem with Johnson playing there.   The guy who is pissing me off though is Pena.  That guy gets too much playing time.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 26, 2010, 08:46:53 AM

I was at Fenway a couple of weeks ago when the Rays played the Bosox. My seat was just along the left field  - got to see DJ play leftfield up close (forgot why CC was out).  I'm a big fan of DJ because his background in Oakland/Japan and his being a journeyman type player - but to be honest, he had no clue how to play balls out there. He had difficulty judging balls coming off the wall and in the corner.  But Maddon put him out there - what is DJ going to tell him? "I don't want to be in the lineup...."?

I feel the same way about 3rd base - these guys get placed in positions that they have no business playing.  This is really the first team that I've seen players interchanged at positions and batting order so much. It seems to have worked.  I guess I trust the staff to know what they're doing and what the risks are.  One miscue on defense can be the difference between a win/loss.

Team defense is so important as everyone knows. Many of the sorry teams in the league (like SEA) have some of the worst defenses - The Rays defense has been one of the highlights of the season, imo.  Hope Maddon/Martinez know what they're doing.

So far, so good.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 26, 2010, 07:20:50 PM

And another bad start from Jamie costs the team...

Really not looking good for Jamie's future here.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 26, 2010, 09:38:58 PM

After seeing that "C" team starting line-up, I'm assuming the Rays are happy coasting into the playoffs.  Shopp at DH?  Really?

Shields actually pitched pretty decently.  He grooved a fastball and gave up a two-out 3-run dinger to Josh friggin' Wilson, and it was over after that.  That said, I'm all for getting Hellickson in the playoff rotation, because Shields, Niemann and Garza have been shaky recently.  And Helli has looked like crap out of the pen, but lights out as a starter.

Vatican_Assassin

Pro Bowler

#12 : September 26, 2010, 10:37:05 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
After seeing that "C" team starting line-up, I'm assuming the Rays are happy coasting into the playoffs.  Shopp at DH?  Really?

Shields actually pitched pretty decently.  He grooved a fastball and gave up a two-out 3-run dinger to Josh friggin' Wilson, and it was over after that.  That said, I'm all for getting Hellickson in the playoff rotation, because Shields, Niemann and Garza have been shaky recently.  And Helli has looked like crap out of the pen, but lights out as a starter.

+1

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#13 : September 27, 2010, 01:47:40 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
SugarRay wrote:

The thread is still available, but it isn't showing up on the Pirate's Cove.  Post in it if you don't believe me.

SugarRay wrote:
Longoria is injured. Out 3-4 games.

Yeah, I know that.  But why is Dan Johnson playing at 3B defensively, instead of Zoby or SRod?

I've read that Maddon said he was satisfied with the reports from Triple-A and Friedman, so he put DJ out there.  All I know Johnson has never played a game at 3B in his major league career, so I would prefer someone with a little better glove at the hot-corner in Longo's absence.  Maybe that's just me...

You're not questioning Him again, are you?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 27, 2010, 05:57:30 PM

I'm a tad stubborn...

Good news is the team clinches the playoffs with a win or Boston loss tonight.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 30
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2010 Tampa Bay Rays Continued... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools