Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Morris Slowing the Growth of McCoy? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: September 30, 2010, 08:26:28 AM

I'm worried that Steve White is right about this...

Full Article Here:

http://passingonthegame.blogspot.com/2010/09/in-which-i-totally-disagree-with-coach.html

Excerpt:

I've seen what a disruptive undertackle can do in this scheme. I played with probably the best undertackle that has ever played the game in Warren Sapp (who oh by the way agrees with me). And if its not him then I watched film on the only other guy that could give him a serious run for his money in recent Hall of Fame inductee John Randall. I'm not saying Gerald McCoy will ever become either of those guys, but if he is at least a reasonable facsimile he can wreak enough havoc from just that one position to make everyone and I do mean EVERYONE around him better. A good to great undertackle can be the force element of a defense versus running plays to his side. A good to great undertackle can force so much attention upon himself that the three other defensive linemen all end up with one on one opportunities. A good to great undertackle can allow a defensive coordinator to have a much smaller playbook because they bring so much pressure on any given play that there isn't much of a need to blitz, especially in 2 minute situations.

But McCoy will either take longer or never develop into a good to great undertackle if he is also trying to be a decent defensive end on either side as well as part time nose tackle as well. It's just not going to happen.

And the reason why I'm being so vocal about this is because it reminds me so much of the way Gaines Adams was mishandled may he rest in peace.

I don't care who I piss off I'm going to keep talking about it either until it changes or the season ends. I may end up looking like Ahab screaming at the sea but I really don't care. I know what kind of undertackle Gerald McCoy can be. I watched him in college, I saw him in the preseason and I saw glimpses in the first game against Cleveland. Its not selfish to want to see more of that, its smart. You don't draft a guy number 3 to be a utility man, you draft a guy that high to be a dominant force AT ONE POSITION.

WelshBuc

Starter

#1 : September 30, 2010, 08:34:16 AM

Heemy is slowing the growth of this entire roster.  Like I said in another thread, we have the talent to go 9-7 easily.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 30, 2010, 08:37:48 AM

White's opinion has been mentioned in several threads.  Let's hope however he is being prepared the emphasis - if not complete attention - is on UT.  Later in his career one can see if he can be of assistance in special situations - for now - he is a rookie - and the team is desperate for a UT - odd perhaps.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 30, 2010, 08:38:02 AM

Saying Gaines Adams was mishandled is ridiculous. He just didn't have it.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

WelshBuc

Starter

#4 : September 30, 2010, 08:40:54 AM

Gruden didn't really want Adams I'd like to point out.  Calvin Johnson would be a Buccaneer if he had gotten his way.

LegendKiller13

Practice Squad

#5 : September 30, 2010, 08:43:04 AM

McCoy is a Top 5 pick, he's should have enough talent to be effective coming out of any stance. BTW the Bucs are 2-1 and ppl are laying into this franchise like we havent one a game this season. Idiots.

LegendKiller13

Practice Squad

#6 : September 30, 2010, 08:47:57 AM

Actually he wouldn't be if Gruden had his way... Thats a no brainer pick, nobody thought the Lions would take ANOTHER WR in the 1st but they did. You obviously dont have a grasp on football except coming on her complaining about a front office and coach that has the Bucs headed in the right direction with a promising franchise QB and are currently 2-1

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 30, 2010, 08:52:01 AM

McCoy answers the question himself on his radio show (on the main site now.)

When asked if he thought it slowed his development, he said no.   He did it all through college and is used to it.

He also spoke about txt'ing with Sapp.    Sapp has a special interest in GMac.

"...the swim move is for the beach..., not the NFL..."   lol

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

WelshBuc

Starter

#8 : September 30, 2010, 08:54:16 AM

We probably won't "one" another game this season.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 30, 2010, 08:56:17 AM

blind melon wrote:
McCoy answers the question himself on his radio show (on the main site now.)

When asked if he thought it slowed his development, he said no.   He did it all through college and is used to it.

Then that settles it.

You actually expect him to say, "Yes, Coach Morris is slowing my development?"

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 30, 2010, 08:57:57 AM

I'm not usually one to bag on Raheem, but you don't draft a guy third overall to float around and fill multiple positions. We have been desperately searching for a great three tech DT for almost a decade since Sapp left, and now that we have one, you wanna have him learn all four D-line positions at once? Very stupid. The only time McCoy should move out to DE is to let Price play three tech, and even that should be rare. McCoy needs to be getting repitition after repitition at under tackle so he can develope and become dominant. I get that Rah wants to move people around and run different schemes to confuse the offense, but move other people around. McCoy needs to stay put.

Oh....and quit moving Kyle Moore inside on certain downs. That kid is garbage. With Miller, McCoy, and Price sitting there, it has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever in the history of football to move Kyle Moore inside in ANY situation. He can't even play DE. He sure as hell can't play DT.

WelshBuc

Starter

#11 : September 30, 2010, 09:01:45 AM

JDouble wrote:
I'm not usually one to bag on Raheem, but you don't draft a guy third overall to float around and fill multiple positions. We have been desperately searching for a great three tech DT for almost a decade since Sapp left, and now that we have one, you wanna have him learn all four D-line positions at once? Very stupid. The only time McCoy should move out to DE is to let Price play three tech, and even that should be rare. McCoy needs to be getting repitition after repitition at under tackle so he can develope and become dominant. I get that Rah wants to move people around and run different schemes to confuse the offense, but move other people around. McCoy needs to stay put.

Oh....and quit moving Kyle Moore inside on certain downs. That kid is garbage. With Miller, McCoy, and Price sitting there, it has got to be one of the stupidest ideas ever in the history of football to move Kyle Moore inside in ANY situation. He can't even play DE. He sure as hell can't play DT.

Quality post.  If this board had a blocking feature I probably wouldn't have been able to see that.  This is a good argument against it.  Feel free to send me a friend request.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 30, 2010, 09:07:14 AM

JDouble wrote:

Kyle Moore may in fact be garbage, but in a 3rd-and-long obvious passing situation, you'd rather have a base DE in there over Miller who doesn't bring much as a pass rusher. Crowder or Bennett would do for me.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 30, 2010, 09:09:57 AM

JDouble wrote:

I agree. See, it IS possible to criticize certain moves by Rah and not whine incessantly about him ruining the team. Unfortunately, there are a few fools in this thread that can't grasp that.

WelshBuc

Starter

#14 : September 30, 2010, 09:22:39 AM

While I disagree with just about everything he has to say, FRG is ok peeps Joe.  No need to resort to name calling.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is Morris Slowing the Growth of McCoy? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools