Raw Is A Buffoon wrote:
Gruden took an underachieving team and went 12-4 and won a Super Bowl. Now that's an achievment.
An achievement largely dependent on the Defense(ranked #1) he inheirited from Tony Dungy and run by Monte Kiffin. Gruden's offense was 18th in the league.
Granted, there would be no Lombardi trophy in Tampa without Jon Gruden, but he is also responsible for the shipwreck that Raheem Morris inheirited. Dominik and Morris snagged a franchise QB with their very first pick in their very first draft. Gruden/McKay/Allen couldn't do it in 7 years, not even a mediocre run-of-the-mill QB. Rejects and long shots can't get it done. That's why he was fired.
Largely dependent on defense? are you that dumb? here are some facts that you poster fans should know.
1. Brad Johnson 3rd best QB in the NFL in 2002 ( #11 in 2001) , the 2 people ranked higher than him in 2002 were Chad Pennington and Rich Gannon ( who happened to be the other QB in superbowl 37 )
2. Brad Johnson #1 Rated QB in the entire NFC in 2002
3. brad johnson sacked 21 times in 2002, thats 15 times less tha Rich Gannon and the #1 offense in the NFL
4. in 2001 Buccaneers defense ranked 6th, in 2002 Ranked 1st.....hmmmm grudens defense was better than dungy's? how can that be?
5. 2001 Dungy's defense lol, ranked 12th in sacks, under gruden they ranked 6th hmmm
6. 2001 ranked 2nd in int's, in 2002 ranked 1st
every aspect of this team improved with gruden, so tell me how the hell he took us to a SB with Dungy's team when dungy's team was worse on offense and defense? Explain that please, please
Fact is Gruden took this team to the superbowl not Dungy, hell Dungy's so called team never existed, Monte ran the defense from day one, everyone knows that.. Dungy was an offensive HC and he didnt get it done.....Gruden won a SB with Tampa, NOT DUNGY...get over it