Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Boise State #1? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 28, 2010, 03:41:03 PM

Those are 4 horrible reasons for "deserving" to play for a National Championship.  Boise State "deserves" nothing outside of their high ranking as of right now.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 28, 2010, 05:12:01 PM

Actually BG - by your account, and summary, Boise deserves to play the winner of the ACC at the end of the year...they narrowly defeated Va Tech one week before Va Tech lost to...James Madison...

...and to be quite honest, I'd love to see how Boise State would handle the football powerhouse that is...James Madison...

...because if beating an ACC powerhouse like Va Tech makes Boise State desrving of their lofty status in the polls - one could make a stronger case for North Dakota State (who beat the Big XII's University of Kansas and the ACC's Georgia Tech this season) just getting RANKED in the top 25, than I could for Boise State being fairly positioned to play for the National Championship.

Boise State hasn't earned that priviledge - regardless of what folks think they may deserve... ;)

Denny Green's quote about "crowning" them seems appropriate (the one besides the "...they are who we thought they were...", quote)...

While we're discussing it - due to Va Tech and Oregon State both falling out of the polls - those "victories won't factor into quality wins/strength-of-schedule. Therefore - since TCU will be playing an 8th ranked Utah in two weeks - a TCU victory would seem to legitamize a vault over Boise State, thereby earning a shot at the National Championship...I can't say I like that any better, but IF both Boise & TCU win out - I could better understand TCU getting a shot at the NC.

That doesn't change the fact that I STILL believe a one loss SEC team, or a one loss Big Ten team, to be superior to an undefeated WAC team.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 28, 2010, 06:18:17 PM

BucsGuru wrote:

4. Virginia Tech looks like it will end up winning the ACC Title this year.  

Where is this written?  FSU is in the driver's seat right now.  Va Tech's SOS is even weaker than Boise's.  That win really isn't anything special for Boise.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 28, 2010, 06:47:24 PM

I really don't know how a team with TWO losses - one to an unranked, Div II team, ala James Madison, even stays ranked in the Top 25?

That is NOT a quality win.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 07, 2010, 05:19:09 PM

Well, well, well.  TCU beats a so-so Utah team and climbs up the rankings, the same TCU team that has 1 loss in the last 2-years to who?  Boise State!  The #1 team in the nation that has 3 losses in the last 2-years, one loss which belongs to who?  Boise State!  

So now I guess a LSU team who barely beat Florida deserves to play in the National Championship game??  what if Auburn loses??  Does a 3-4 loss SEC deserve a shot?  

We end up with 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season, probably 4.  Who deserves the shot at the championship??  The team who is RANKED the highest?  Ranked by men and computers, SOS??  Whatever happened to actual competition on the field?  Anyone who understands competitive sports knows the BCS is a complete joke.  Tradition my butt!!  

ACTUAL BCS RULES:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls through the 2013 regular season.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.
No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

I LOVE #4: NOTRE DAME gets an automatic birth if ranked #8 or higher in the BCS standings...but NOT Army/Navy??  Navy has a much better record than ND?!  A FREAKIN JOKE!

And does anyone REALLY believe the Big East deserves an automatic birth instead of the WAC or Mountain West??  FOR REAL??

We are better off going back and just letting your regular season decide who the national champ is so that these bowl games mean nothing more than bragging rights....that's how Notre Dame got all of those championships back in the day, along with those other "traditional power" teams.

You are either completely ignorant or fear losing to a "inferior" team if you cannot understand this!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 07, 2010, 06:29:56 PM

Geezus...

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 07, 2010, 07:22:14 PM

TCU passes the eye ball test. TCU will go to the natl title if Oregon or Auburn loses. Boise has zero chance.

BucsGuru wrote:
Well, well, well.  TCU beats a so-so Utah team and climbs up the rankings, the same TCU team that has 1 loss in the last 2-years to who?  Boise State!  The #1 team in the nation that has 3 losses in the last 2-years, one loss which belongs to who?  Boise State!  

So now I guess a LSU team who barely beat Florida deserves to play in the National Championship game??  what if Auburn loses??  Does a 3-4 loss SEC deserve a shot?  

We end up with 3 undefeated teams at the end of the season, probably 4.  Who deserves the shot at the championship??  The team who is RANKED the highest?  Ranked by men and computers, SOS??  Whatever happened to actual competition on the field?  Anyone who understands competitive sports knows the BCS is a complete joke.  Tradition my butt!!  

ACTUAL BCS RULES:

1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10, and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls through the 2013 regular season.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.
No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

I LOVE #4: NOTRE DAME gets an automatic birth if ranked #8 or higher in the BCS standings...but NOT Army/Navy??  Navy has a much better record than ND?!  A FREAKIN JOKE!

And does anyone REALLY believe the Big East deserves an automatic birth instead of the WAC or Mountain West??  FOR REAL??

We are better off going back and just letting your regular season decide who the national champ is so that these bowl games mean nothing more than bragging rights....that's how Notre Dame got all of those championships back in the day, along with those other "traditional power" teams.

You are either completely ignorant or fear losing to a "inferior" team if you cannot understand this!!!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 07, 2010, 09:35:36 PM

The system sucks.  Both TCU and BSU have earned the right to play for the title if they win out.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 07, 2010, 09:45:40 PM

bradentonian wrote:
The system sucks.  Both TCU and BSU have earned the right to play for the title if they win out.

Didn't TCU get whooped last year in the BCS bowl game they played in?

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 08, 2010, 12:42:58 AM

Legend wrote:
bradentonian wrote:

Didn't TCU get whooped last year in the BCS bowl game they played in?

They lost to Boise State 17-10.  What difference does that make?

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 08, 2010, 01:17:26 AM

I thought TCU got spanked last year my fault. Eitherway, all 4 teams have earned the right to play for the NC game. But Auburn and Oregon have played much better teams

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 08, 2010, 12:15:28 PM

FWIW I think the computer rankings unanimously have TCU at #2, and they are typically heavily influenced by SOS.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 08, 2010, 12:41:18 PM

bradentonian wrote:
FWIW I think the computer rankings unanimously have TCU at #2, and they are typically heavily influenced by SOS.

Yeah they are, but it's gotta be for some other reason than SOS because both Oregon (36) and Auburn (40) have higher SOS's than TCU (62).

The computers really don't like Oregon for some reason.  They have an average of 3.33 computer ranking, with Auburn (1.17) and TCU (2.17) being ahead of them.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 08, 2010, 05:24:14 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
bradentonian wrote:

Yeah they are, but it's gotta be for some other reason than SOS because both Oregon (36) and Auburn (40) have higher SOS's than TCU (62).

The computers really don't like Oregon for some reason.  They have an average of 3.33 computer ranking, with Auburn (1.17) and TCU (2.17) being ahead of them.

IIRC they were lower in the computers last week, so they must have gotten a bump for a quality win over Utah.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 13, 2010, 11:25:47 PM

Boise isn't #1 but will end the year at #2 and play Oregon for the National Championship!!!
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Boise State #1? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools