Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Suddenly See New Orleans Saints in a New Light « previous next »
Page: 1

FlyingScorpion

Starter
: October 13, 2010, 03:58:24 PM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Suddenly See New Orleans Saints in a New Light

Tom Edrington
(Buccaneers Featured Columnist) on October 13, 2010
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/490360-tampa-bay-buccaneers-suddenly-see-saints-in-a-new-light

Have you caught yourself thinking:

Hey, this one is really winnable!

Have you caught yourself thinking that these New Orleans Saints that are coming into Raymond James Stadium on Sunday aren't all that tough, aren't nearly as good as they were last January?

Have you caught yourself thinking that perhaps, maybe, possibly, if things go well -- your beloved Tampa Bay Buccaneers could upset those mighty Saints on Sunday?

If you have, you're probably not alone.

Raise you hand if you totally believed that the Arizona Cardinals would spank the Saints 30-20 last week.

That's right, you didn't and perhaps no one who follows the NFL would have bet money on that outcome ahead of time.

After all, who the heck is Max Hall?  Unless you went to Brigham Young or went on a mission with this kid, no way you'd recognize some undrafted six-foot rookie quarterback.

But he did manage to get his Cardinals a "W" with a lot of help from his defense.

Sound familiar?

Anyone out there expect Drew Brees to throw three picks last week? If that happens again, perhaps they should strike up the band on Bourbon Street and play "When the Bucs Come Marching In."

Fact is, as they exist right now, New Orleans is very, very vulnerable.

New Orleans is vulnerable because it has Tampa's running game.

Ladell Betts put together 44 yards on 10 carries against Arizona. Corey Ivory churned his way to 39 with another 10 totes. They make Cadillac Williams look like Chris Johnson.

Wow, Ivory and Johnson. Most fearsome duo since Williams and Graham.

Hopefully the Buccaneer defense can keep the Betts-Ivory machine under 90 yards.

Which puts the burden on Brees and the Buccaneer secondary.

Which means that the special teams for each side will help determine the outcome on Sunday.

And suddenly, like last week in Cincinnati, maybe this matchup isn't as lopsided as it might have sounded last summer.

Once again, the Buccaneers have a decent chance.

Heck, they're 3-1 and 1-0 in the division. The Saints are 3-2 overall, 1-1 in the NFC South.

Wow, whoda thunk it?

Freeman\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I love winning a lot more than Im scared of losing\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#1 : October 13, 2010, 05:41:36 PM

I'm convinced now if we can shore up the run defense, and start churning out yards on the ground ourselves, that we can compete with the Saints and Falcons for the South title. This week's game is huge. We win this Sunday, and the entire NFL landscape starts looking at our team differently. Mike Mayock and Baldinger(I know right, Baldinger?) had high praise for us in this week's NFC Playbook.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 13, 2010, 05:45:43 PM

Beat the Saints here and then beat the Rams...the Bucs would be 5-1. There are some pretty tough road games after that. But if they can split with the Falcons and sweep the Panthers, they will at least be in the Wild Card hunt.

FlyingScorpion

Starter
#3 : October 13, 2010, 05:50:13 PM

:silly:

Freeman\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I love winning a lot more than Im scared of losing\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 13, 2010, 05:51:08 PM

cyberdude558 wrote:
Beat the Saints here and then beat the Rams...the Bucs would be 5-1. There are some pretty tough road games after that. But if they can split with the Falcons and sweep the Panthers, they will at least be in the Wild Card hunt.
I'm going to count the Ravens and Skins as losses. If we upset them, that would be great, but they look to be too tough to beat right now at this stage. The rest of the games are all winnable.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 13, 2010, 06:34:25 PM

outside of last year, the saints have been up and down since the haslett era regardless of their talent levels.  you never know which team you will get season to season or game to game.  i wouldn't be surprised if we beat them in another nailbiter, nor would i be surprised if they blew us out.  

still, it's pretty shocking to think that if the bucs could manage to go 6-6 down the stretch this team is 9-7 and a likely wildcard.  looking at the schedule you have 2 winless teams, a team with 3 wins in its last 38 tries (detroit), a cardinals team in disarray, and a seahawks team that likely will have nothing to play for.....even if you exclude the cards for their occasional effectiveness, you're talking about 4 games vs some of the most beatable teams in the NFL.  if they can find a way to win 3 of those 4, you need to steal 3 wins from your other 8 games to be in the playoffs

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#6 : October 13, 2010, 06:47:08 PM

ABuccsFan wrote:
I'm convinced now if we can shore up the run defense, and start churning out yards on the ground ourselves,

That sure sounds good... except it's true of every other team every single year. Run the ball + stop the run = good team. Unfortunately, we don't do either one well.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 13, 2010, 06:54:57 PM

Pick6 wrote:
outside of last year, the saints have been up and down since the haslett era regardless of their talent levels.  you never know which team you will get season to season or game to game.  i wouldn't be surprised if we beat them in another nailbiter, nor would i be surprised if they blew us out.  

still, it's pretty shocking to think that if the bucs could manage to go 6-6 down the stretch this team is 9-7 and a likely wildcard.  looking at the schedule you have 2 winless teams, a team with 3 wins in its last 38 tries (detroit), a cardinals team in disarray, and a seahawks team that likely will have nothing to play for.....even if you exclude the cards for their occasional effectiveness, you're talking about 4 games vs some of the most beatable teams in the NFL.  if they can find a way to win 3 of those 4, you need to steal 3 wins from your other 8 games to be in the playoffs

Seahawks could win that division, so that late season game in Tampa could be big.  Just my $0.02

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 13, 2010, 06:58:52 PM

This is going to be a tough game. Regardless of the Saints struggggllling (Namath voice) vs Zona each game brings a different flava.

Great thing is essentially the same team went into NO last when the Taints were are full tilt during the SB run. That alone should give the team a good boost coupled with their injuries and struggles this year.

Can't wait for Sunday
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tampa Bay Buccaneers Suddenly See New Orleans Saints in a New Light « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools