Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: On McCoy Being A Bust « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 21, 2010, 08:35:31 PM

burger40 wrote:
BuddyHobbs321813 wrote:
Really he's played what like 5 games in the NFL and he's supposed to be lighting it up already i mean c'mon get real and he doesn't exactly have the best DL beside him either give it a rest already.
It's way too early to be calling McCoy a bust and he's only a rookie!

For those that will bring up Suh he actually has a good DL beside of him.

Warren Sapp's rookie stat through 16 games; 26 tackles 3 sacks 1 Forced Fumble

Gerald McCoy's Stats through 5 games; 8 tackles, 0 sacks, 1 Forced Fumble

STOP JUST STOP! Your reasonable points and insight don't fit the irrational narrative! It is hurting Java's brain!

Screw him!

bucs63

Starter
#16 : October 21, 2010, 09:07:39 PM

McCoy can't be proclaimed a bust after 5 games any more than he could have been proclaimed "the next Sapp" before playing ANY games in the NFL. Some did that too.

I'm disappointed in his play so far, but I'm not sure I can lay that all on him either. He's being asked to do more than learn how to play the UT in this defense. His game is based on his quick first step and technique but he'll need to get a little bigger and a lot stronger.

I'm looking forward to this game to see how he does since he says he just going to go on the snap to make the play and not worry about whose gap it's in. Should be fun to watch.

awitron

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 22, 2010, 02:44:07 AM

liambowls wrote:
He said he is already sick of being compared to Warren Sapp.  Didn't someone here have the two in his signature pic with the line, 'the next Warren Sapp?'  Where is that guy?  Was it CoastGuardBuc?

You are holding him to that comparison because someone on a message board had a sig pic that said it?

As far as I'm concerned, McCoy is progressing just fine. He is going to be significantly better in the 2nd half of the season than he is so far in the 1st half. People who are expecting anything different set their expectations too high. Anyone who really calls him a bust at this point is an idiot and needs to back under their bridge.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

DanishBucFan

Second String
#18 : October 22, 2010, 06:39:34 AM

Let's wait with the bust labels until we see him performing on a line with at least average DE's and he has has at least two seasons of experience please!!!

The complete dedication to our youth movement will keep on making it hard for McCoy to excel, until we get some decent DE's drafted.

His performance so far is complete in line with what realistic fans would expect. This does not change the fact that he will and should be under scrutiny considering draft status and paycheck, but please as with all our top draft picks this year it will take time!

DiSalvo

Starter

#19 : October 22, 2010, 07:11:07 AM

So  , it's settled . We can all agree that mcCoy can't be labeled a bust yet .

We can also all agree that , right now, he's an embarassing weak-azz garbage can who get's rag-dolled all game...

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 22, 2010, 08:55:23 AM

His development is going to be very slow. He doesnt have anyone around him to help teach him the position. There is no veterans on the team! He's getting killed and he doesnt know what he's doing wrong.

nmkinley

Starter
#21 : October 22, 2010, 09:17:48 AM

As much as I want to see McCoy play 'recklessly', as he suggests will start doing this week, I'm fearful that the Rams will know this and run a bunch of draws & traps right at his spot to take advantage.  But I guess the results can't be much worse than the last few weeks...  

Fingers crossed he can light up S Jackson and his buddy Bradford a couple of times this game!

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 22, 2010, 04:25:46 PM

I remember when folks called Warren a bust...and Ronde....and Lynch.

Some folks just don't understand football. Will McCoy ever get it? Maybe he will, maybe he won't but it's ridiculous to call him a bust after five games in the NFl.

lolTampa

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 22, 2010, 07:23:18 PM

JasonOfthetower wrote:
I remember when folks called Warren a bust...and Ronde....and Lynch.

Some folks just don't understand football. Will McCoy ever get it? Maybe he will, maybe he won't but it's ridiculous to call him a bust after five games in the NFl.

+300

lolTampa

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 01, 2011, 11:10:08 PM

So, how do the McCoy haters feel a year later?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 02, 2011, 12:24:09 AM

I'm not a hater, but I didn't expect him to be great. My reasoning is that IMHO he didn't really improve from his sophomore to junior seasons. Is that the be-all end-all? No. Dan Marino got worse from his junior to senior seasons and then was a stud pro. But I worry about McCoy being one of those guys who has already peaked. Do we know for sure? No. Is the sample size too small to make a decision? Yes.
But let's not say the line alongside him is weak. It isn't. He's on a good team. The pressure would be high anywhere and it might even be less here, in a small market. And to be honest, it's not even a matter of how MUCH he performs, but WHEN. So we really need to see what he does this year in the big games (virtually all of which are to come) and then next year in the big games. In that sense, stats ARE for losers. If we go further than the Lions, it won't matter if Suh gets 20 sacks.

In Verner We Trust

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 02, 2011, 12:29:10 AM

He hasn't even played in 16 games yet.  He's still young and still learning.  He's getting better ... slowly, but getting better.  It is WAY to early to be talking BUST.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 02, 2011, 12:31:51 AM

Too early to say bust, but not too early to be skeptical. But I'm the same way with MW, Blount and Josh. Then again, with Mason, I thought he'd be good and he's even exceeded those expectations.
That said, peak value can be overrated. Durability, something you won't be able to measure for awhile with any of them, is very important.

In Verner We Trust

BucsFTW

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 02, 2011, 12:41:31 AM

Too early to say bust, but not too early to be skeptical. But I'm the same way with MW, Blount and Josh. Then again, with Mason, I thought he'd be good and he's even exceeded those expectations.
That said, peak value can be overrated. Durability, something you won't be able to measure for awhile with any of them, is very important.
Although I think even "considering" the possibilty of Free being a bust is insanity, you DO have a way of putting things clearly in perspective Jersey...

Nice post dude!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 02, 2011, 12:44:28 AM

So, how do the McCoy haters feel a year later?
I agree with you, you should be searching for a writer.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: On McCoy Being A Bust « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools