Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2007 Regular Season Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 162 163 164 165

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2445 : September 13, 2007, 11:52:00 PM

The fact is that you came here to start crap with people talking about the team.  And the funny thing is you did it right when they started putting together a nice run.  Fans didn't need you to point out the 10 eyar record.  We know it.  Fans don't need to listen to you whine about being bitter.  I'm talking about the team as it is now and where it looks like it is headed to me.  The fact that you just want to whine and complain is your own problem.
And you started watching when? Two years ago. This whole thread is a whine-fest. It didn't start with me. You appear to argue with anyone that does not agree with you. I said before I pointed out facts that you didn't like.  Are you the Devil Ray authority around here?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2446 : September 14, 2007, 12:32:22 AM

The only fact you've pointed out is their losing records for 10 years.  Congrats.  I've been around the game my whole life and watched the Rays since Day 1.  I was there on Day 1.   From the wisdom you've spewed here, I'd say I'm more of an authority than you are.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2447 : September 14, 2007, 01:01:17 AM

I guess facts are in the eye of the beholder.

#2448 : September 14, 2007, 04:58:45 PM

I'm far from being the only one to laugh at you're continual foolish optimism.

LOL, maybe you didnt read the last 10 pages but Ive been arguing back and forth with Rays fans who dont like the way I criticize the team

And actually there arent many knowledgable baseblal fans who agree with your comments that we have no future. Peter Gammons, BUster Olney, sports illustrated, etc have commented many times in the recent p[ast about how this team is going to be a playoff co ntender by 2009. Maybe even before

Like I said, our past means nothign baout our future

The BUcs had, and still have, the worst winning percentage in NFL history. So 10 or so years ago the same dumbazz fans were sayuing "you guys have never been good, so you never will be godo and no one will ever care". Then shortly after that we started dominating. ANd dont lie, you became a BUcs fan in 1997, not 1996. I can tell that by your comment that "The Rays will never matter too me until they start winning". How can you honestly sit here after all that and say that you liked the BUcs inb 1996 when we were celler dwellers for the previous 15 years. Someone like yourself, obviously needed to see a winnig season before you became a fan

O and btw, if you have a speciual interest in pirates in tights, expecially ones like Bucco Bruce, then you might be gay

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2449 : September 15, 2007, 01:28:43 PM

Josh Hamilton update...back on the DL.  I for one am shocked. ;D

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2450 : September 15, 2007, 02:26:07 PM

He was almost as good as Brazelton. Just didn't have as nice of car.

#2451 : September 15, 2007, 09:42:31 PM

Yea I dont know if you missed my post, but I wonder now if he is on HGH or something. Ive wondered that in the back of my mind the whole year about Pena too though.

Even with the injuries, Id still say Josh Hamilton had a successful rookie year. Something like .295 50 runs, 19 HR, 50 RBI in a half season worth of at bats. I would deifnitely worry about the injuries with this guy though, knowing his history

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2452 : September 16, 2007, 07:51:10 PM

Won another series.  Nice recovery after 3 straight losses in the last at bats.  Hell Switzer and Stokes could even hold that lead.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2453 : September 17, 2007, 06:15:17 PM

Won another series.  Nice recovery after 3 straight losses in the last at bats.  Hell Switzer and Stokes could even hold that lead.
Are you referring to the 2-2 split with the Mariners? Or the Mariners 4-3 advantage for the season.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2454 : September 17, 2007, 09:28:28 PM

Good call.  I forgot about the Thursday night game (even thouhg I remembered the bullpen blowing the lead).  Thought you weren't watching anymore?

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2455 : September 20, 2007, 11:51:32 PM

Just exactly what is going to happen in the offseason that is going to make this team different next year? Like I said before the team is going to finish worse than the 2004 Rays. It was all supposed to be uphill from there.  Amazingly the record always stay the same.
1998    63-99    .389    
1999    69-93    .426    
2000    69-92    .429    
2001    62-100    .383    
2002    55-106    .342    
2003    63-99    .389    
2004    70-91    .435    
2005    67-95    .414    
2006    61-101    .377    
2007�    63-90    .412    

#2456 : September 21, 2007, 01:15:33 AM

You have to see things developing within the organization

You know, like when true diehard Bucs fans who stuck with the team through the losing days for so long that we could spot a loser from a mile away. Until finally a foundation was laid, young core type players were gathered, and the right approach was being taken by ownership down to management. And even though we went 6-10 in 1996 all the lifer's knew somethign special was going to happen real quick. Remember that? I am not a hockey fan but I hear the same blueprint was followed and the same key moments happened before that Lightning franchise got good. Now the true fans of Tampa sports can see it happeneing for a 3rd time. We Tampa fans have known several different layers of losing now, so that we know exactly when that loser is shedding its skin for the skin of a winner.

I know my metaphoric bytchslaps are captivating, so when you come down off that verbal high gather your wits and research the history of Tampa sports. Maybe then you will see the upward path the Rays are on

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2457 : September 21, 2007, 01:46:58 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of player additions, departures, or something of the sort.  Just curious.  I agree completely that the Rays are on the upswing in talent.  It seems that has been the case for a long time. Why has it not paid off at all in the standings?  It is just hard for me to understand the records.  Is the team going to rely on a majority of the same players to perform better? Where are the changes going to be?  What is going to happen to Rocco?

#2458 : September 21, 2007, 02:08:31 AM

IN the past 10 losing years you cant find me one pitcher who has doned a Rays uni that has been as good as Kazmir or Shields were this year. I'll take it a step further and say you cant name one former Ray who was as good as David Price will be just in his rookie year. I would also mention that while we have had top pitchign prospects in the past who havent panned out, we have another one in AAA right now who you could legitimately say is 50/50 that he becomes top of the rotation material. Not bad to have on of those guys laying aroudn when you already have Kazmir, Shields and Price. I would also offer up that in AA and possibly starting next year in AAA we have 2 otehr top pitchign prospects. I mean guys who grade out as Kazmir, Shields, Price guys. There bnames are Jacob McGee and Wade Davis. Do a google search and just see what kinds of thinsg are said about them nationally and what kind of numbers they have put up thus far.

My main argument would obviously be Kazmir, Shields and Price as far as pitching goes. With a bevy(sp?) of other good young arms. Hammel, Sonnanstine, Jackson, Talbot, Howell, Mason, Salas, Wheeler.

On the offensive side I think there are very few questions outside of Rocco and a young talented SS prospect named Reid Brignac who is coming off a down year in AA. You have...

Delmon Young- .290, 12 HR, 100 RBI, 15 SB and a great defensive season as a rookie is what he will end the year with

Carl Crawford- I dont think .310, 15 HR, 100 RBI, 120 runs, 50 SB is a stretch for next year

BJ Upton- .310 25 HR, 90 RBI, 15 SB rookie and only had 3/4 of the year worth of ABs. Not to mention possibly the strongest arm in baseball in CF

Aki Iwamura- Sound defensively to say the least. Great bat control, can hit at the top or bottom of the lineup. If not for an injury that caused him to miss 6 weeks his numbers owuldve looked something like .280, 10 HR, 40 RBI, 110 runs, 20 SB in his first year in american baseball

Carlos Pena- great defense, huge powerbat with an unexpected average thsi year

Evan Longoria- Is it too early to throw out names like Chipper JOnes and Ryan Braun as a comparison?

Even Navarro is showing signs of life.

And all of this I speak of is with a sub 30 mil payroll. The options are limitless, but we shall see what management chooses to do. Eitehr way you could feasably argue that the Rays 'could' be an 80+ win team next year

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2459 : September 21, 2007, 02:46:27 AM

Both of the young pitchers sound great. Here are a few small clips from youtube. Throwing hard.

Page: 1 ... 162 163 164 165
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2007 Regular Season Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools