Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who Stays Undefeated?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
: October 24, 2010, 06:56:06 AM

We have Oregon, Boise St, Auburn, Missouri, Michigan St, TCU, & Utah.  

If Auburn goes undefeated, they are automatically in the Championship game...no questions asked.  If they lose, they lose to Alabama in my opinion, who will then go on to win the SEC championship. Alabama would be on the outside looking in since I believe there will be more than two undefeated teams.

If Oregon goes undefeated, they too are a lock for the championship game.  Problem is, they have a history of choking late in the season and then falling apart.  Is this the year they break the curse and win the big games?  California is the sleeper for therm in my opinion; they win that game and we'll see green in the big show.

Missouri is a team you think will lose every week and find a way to win.  Last night in defeating the Sooners,it propelled them up the ranking and in the spotlight.  Even if they beat Nebreska next week they will probably end up playing Oklahoma or Oklahoma St in the conference title game.  They go undefeated and folks will be crying for them to be in the title game...let the controversy begin.  Me thinks Nebraska beats them and that's that.

Michigan St is the other team you think will lose and then doesn't.  If you don't think the voting system is crooked then look no further than this team.  How does Ohio St get ranked #1 out of the Big Ten and Michigan St isn't even in the picture??  Because most of your media types graduated from a Big Ten school and will vote for Ohio St, etc, regardless of how truly good they are; sucks, but it's very true.  Spartans go undefeated, they will HAVE to be considered for the Big Game, but I think Iowa takes them out next week.  Again though, they win at Iowa, then here we go with ESPN making a cry for the Spartans to be in the title game after playing who??

TCU gets by Utah, they go undefeated and still no sniff at the big game thanks to a flawed system and too low of ranking at the beginning of the season.  Sorry.

Utah gets by TCU, they think they have a chance due to scheduling Notre Dame late in the season, only to realize that ND sucks yet AGAIN and it actually hurts their chances due to struggling to pull out the win.  BYU sucks and it doesn't help their cause either.  Flawed system and early low ranking keeps them out.

Boise State is the sleeper again for one reason only.  They beat Virginia Tech at the beginning of the year who then fell apart, or it seemed.  Virginia Tech will end up winning the ACC and getting the automatic bid.  The BCS system will end up putting a 1 loss team up against one undefeated team (Spartans?) for the championship game.  Boise State, even though ranked #3 all season, will get to play a rematch against the Hokies and get snubbed yet again.  Terrible system, but even a more terrible conference the Broncos play in.

My Early National Championship Game Prediction:  OREGON vs ALABAMA

Why?  Oregon gets it done this year in their conference and Alabama is still a beast of a team who lost a game it really should have won.  They end up taking down Auburn and the Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton by simply stopping the run and keeping that offense off the field...that will be a must watch game on Nov. 26th.

Oregon STUNS Alabama to win it's first National Championship, as Sagan chokes again in the big game.  Boise State loses to Virginia Tech ending it's run at bowl wins.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 24, 2010, 11:35:32 AM

Oregon choking... or is it Oregon in prior years not having any depth when someone goes down? Regardless this is the first year where I can say if any player goes down Oregon could still run the table. As an Oregon fan the game that scares me is next saturday vs USC. A) USC has had a bye B. its there championship game C) Barkley can throw the ball. Oregon @ Cal in past years have always meant L's but for some reason having watched Cal a lot Im not really worried about it. If Oregon plays like they have minus the ASU game they will win out, if they starting turning the ball over they will lose one.

I personally dont know or dont care at this point whos where.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 24, 2010, 05:16:08 PM

I still think they have the team to beat IF they can win out...and I think they do win out.

Notice how they moved Alabama way back up?  They are setting up the game with Auburn to force Alabama back into the championship game should they beat Auburn and win the SEC.  I hate the BCS.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 24, 2010, 07:34:06 PM

BucsGuru wrote:
I still think they have the team to beat IF they can win out...and I think they do win out.

Notice how they moved Alabama way back up?  They are setting up the game with Auburn to force Alabama back into the championship game should they beat Auburn and win the SEC.  I hate the BCS.

Problem I have with the BCS computer ranking is a computer cant "watch" the game. If anyone watched Oklahoma in prior weeks they knew they werent #1 let alone a top 5 team.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 24, 2010, 09:21:47 PM

oregonbucfan wrote:
BucsGuru wrote:

Problem I have with the BCS computer ranking is a computer cant "watch" the game. If anyone watched Oklahoma in prior weeks they knew they werent #1 let alone a top 5 team.

+1

If you watch the game, you see a team in Oregon that is faster than anyone on offense. If you watch Bama, Auburn, or LSU you see defenses that are just in a league above the rest of the country, but you also see a ridiculously inept O at LSU, a QB that won't win with his arm if he has to at Auburn, and an all around good team in Bama.

The other thing the computers/BCS don't take into account is the difference between a tough schedule and some mathematical SOS formula. Playing a ranked team week 1, 4, 8, and 12 is not nearly as hard as playing a ranked team 3 straight weeks and 4 in 5 weeks, as Bama did. Or playing 4 straight teams after their bye week.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 24, 2010, 11:59:23 PM

John Galt? wrote:
oregonbucfan wrote:
BucsGuru wrote:

+1

If you watch the game, you see a team in Oregon that is faster than anyone on offense. If you watch Bama, Auburn, or LSU you see defenses that are just in a league above the rest of the country, but you also see a ridiculously inept O at LSU, a QB that won't win with his arm if he has to at Auburn, and an all around good team in Bama.

The other thing the computers/BCS don't take into account is the difference between a tough schedule and some mathematical SOS formula. Playing a ranked team week 1, 4, 8, and 12 is not nearly as hard as playing a ranked team 3 straight weeks and 4 in 5 weeks, as Bama did. Or playing 4 straight teams after their bye week.

Oregon fans are butt heart about the BCS poll... I personally dont care. Whos to say Auburn isnt better then Oregon. And the BCS computer poll is based on "SOS" etc so they got it right. I mean you can break it down a million ways, with the remaining schedule but its POINTLESS. If Oregon and Auburn wins out they are playing in Glendale.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 25, 2010, 11:45:38 PM

I love Chip Kelly calling out Robert Smith for his "oregon defense is a fraud", but voting them #1.

Nice fraud
#1 in Turnover Margin
#2 in Red Zone Defense
#9 in Tackles For Loss
#20 in Sacks

30th ranked defense is a fraud

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 26, 2010, 11:47:59 AM

I agree.  He obviously didn't watch the same defense I saw against UCLA the other night.  I know, it was a freshman QB making his second start, but it really didn't matter.  They were much faster to the ball than any other defense I have seen this year with the exception of Alabama.  Boise State has a very fast defense as well, but the Ducks looked faster the other night.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 26, 2010, 07:40:03 PM

BucsGuru wrote:
I agree.  He obviously didn't watch the same defense I saw against UCLA the other night.  I know, it was a freshman QB making his second start, but it really didn't matter.  They were much faster to the ball than any other defense I have seen this year with the exception of Alabama.  Boise State has a very fast defense as well, but the Ducks looked faster the other night.

By no means is Oregons defense "great" but I do think they are good. I also think they have the best CB in the country in Cliff Harris (Jesse Palmer agrees) and they are very fast. I still dont like the DC, but since Chip has taken over and made a few coaching decisions on the defensive side of the ball it has become better. They are undersized on the front 4 but Chip Kelly says he wants "tall and fast guys, unless Haloti Ngata of the world come along". Teams move the ball against them but they buckle down in the red zone and create TO.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 26, 2010, 07:43:20 PM

oregonbucfan wrote:
I love Chip Kelly calling out Robert Smith for his "oregon defense is a fraud", but voting them #1.

Nice fraud
#1 in Turnover Margin
#2 in Red Zone Defense
#9 in Tackles For Loss
#20 in Sacks

That is the difference between looking at the scores and WATCHING THE GAME.

Oregon gives up a lot of points BECAUSE they score a lot more. Every time you score, the opponent gets another shot. All those big plays mean quick drives that don't burn clock. SEC teams allow much fewer points because of the long slow grind it out drives (against other good Ds). in Aub/LSU I think eack team got the ball twice in the first Q. In the oregon game, they scored 3 times meaning the opponent got the ball 3 or 4 times, the more drives you get, the more you'll score.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 26, 2010, 08:33:49 PM

John Galt? wrote:
oregonbucfan wrote:

Nice fraud
#1 in Turnover Margin
#2 in Red Zone Defense
#9 in Tackles For Loss
#20 in Sacks

That is the difference between looking at the scores and WATCHING THE GAME.

Oregon gives up a lot of points BECAUSE they score a lot more. Every time you score, the opponent gets another shot. All those big plays mean quick drives that don't burn clock. SEC teams allow much fewer points because of the long slow grind it out drives (against other good Ds). in Aub/LSU I think eack team got the ball twice in the first Q. In the oregon game, they scored 3 times meaning the opponent got the ball 3 or 4 times, the more drives you get, the more you'll score.

Thats my point. Thats what Robert Smith doesnt understand. When your on the field 40 mins a game... your going to give up more yards. Thats why you also see Oregon going 8 deep on the DL, seeing 4-5 safeties 6-7 CB, and 6 LB playing a lot for Oregon, and you see it pay off in the 4th qtr (giving up 10 points all year in the 4th... 7 points this past week with 3rd string D in)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 26, 2010, 09:26:24 PM

oregonbucfan wrote:
I also think they have the best CB in the country in Cliff Harris

I haven't watched him extensively, but I have hard time believing he's better than Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or Janoris Jenkins.  I'll have to watch more closely next game.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 27, 2010, 12:59:21 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
oregonbucfan wrote:
I also think they have the best CB in the country in Cliff Harris

I haven't watched him extensively, but I have hard time believing he's better than Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara, or Janoris Jenkins.  I'll have to watch more closely next game.

Watch him, he has 4 ints on the year and 4 td's, and last game was the "first game" he started. Makes plays when he's on the field on defense or st.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : October 30, 2010, 08:23:12 PM

Anybody catch Janoris Jenkins shut down AJ Green today?  Green only had one catch for 15 yards (which was an amazing grab by Green to convert on 3rd and 10) while Jenkins was on him.  Jenkins also had a pick on one ball meant for Green.

I'm watching for Cliff Harris tonight, OBF.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : October 30, 2010, 08:52:54 PM

Biggs3535 wrote:
Anybody catch Janoris Jenkins shut down AJ Green today?  Green only had one catch for 15 yards (which was an amazing grab by Green to convert on 3rd and 10) while Jenkins was on him.  Jenkins also had a pick on one ball meant for Green.

I'm watching for Cliff Harris tonight, OBF.

AJ Green finished 4-42 and a TD (which was a perfect pass threaded between 2 defenders). JaJenkins also held Julio jones to 4 catches for 19 yards, but part of that was Bama getting an early lead and going all run.

not sure which is better, Jenkins or Robertson, but they are 1 and 1a.

In a related note, there was a discussion on the insider board about Ahmad Black being too small. Didn't look very small today as he had a couple stone wall tackles that looked brutally painful. And Will Hill had a career game today. Those 2 might be the 2 best safeties in the country.

Right now, USC is playing with lots of emotion and pride, but it's early.

I hate those pajama looking all white Oregon unis!

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who Stays Undefeated?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools