Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Florida Football Questions « previous next »
Page: 1

GameTime

Hall of Famer
: October 31, 2010, 02:34:13 PM

what do you guys think is the main problem this year?  id say next to nothing has gone right for the Gators, and a season with much promise imo is gone.  here are a few things i cant figure out, and what i might do.

how come UF felt the need to give itself four "new" starters at OL?  flipping nixon/gilbert, and moving pouncey took a veteran OL and turned it into mush.  i know they want the 5 best OL out there...but i certainly dont understand it.

why is the zone read the only play UF can block?  how can an OL with at least 3 SR's not be able to pass block?

what happened to UF's front 7?  upperclassmen everywhere yet UF can neither pressure the QB nor stop the run?

is powell at OLB really the best way to use him?

with the bye week, it seems UF installed a more uptempo O.  was that really the best use of the extra time?  instead of copying oregons pace of play, i would have copied their use of a vertical O rather than a horizontal one.

did will hill play well against uga?  or was he just very lucky?  were his two INTs a result of good defensive play...or being 5 yards deeper than the intended WR?

how did brantley ever look good in practice against a live rush?  how did the coaches ever think he could run the option read?  seems to me that in 4 years of brantley being at UF they coaches had to have had a better idea of his talents, and how to use them.  on the same note, how did the coaches ever let cam newton leave the program?

i think what bothers me most is that Meyer always said that the offense is tailored around the talent.  that is complete bogus, and a shame.

why not run a max protect package for brantley?  he seems to lock onto his receivers, so why not reduce the options and add a blocker?  brantley has shown that he can thread the needle when given time.

why was omarius hines jogging on the long INT?

worst case scenario imo for UF is brantley returning for his SR season.  i think he could be a great QB, but UF has shown they will not put him in a position to succeed.

what do you guys think?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 31, 2010, 04:02:54 PM

I'm with you on catering an offense around Brantley, GT.  But for whatever reason, they won't do it.  It doesn't make sense to me.

I still feel a lot of the blame belongs with Addazio.  I noticed it early last season (vs. Tenn) that his game plans sucked.  He is also the OL coach, and they have been playing way below what they should be.  I don't understand flip-flopping those guys almost every game.  Pick positions, and leave them there.

About yesterday's offense, Meyer said they went with Zach Azzanni's (the WR coach) hurry-up.  I don't know if Azzanni was calling the plays or not, but you could see a difference.  I'm in favor of anything that gets Addazio less involved, so Azzanni taking over with his hurry-up sounds good to me.  I would have liked to see Burton throw it a little more, but hopefully we'll see more of that vs. Vandy and South Carolina.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 31, 2010, 09:37:17 PM

how did the coaches ever let cam newton leave the program?

They didn't "let him leave", they kicked his sorry thieving arse out. He STOLE another students laptop, then threw it out a window as the campus police knocked on his door (and yes another campus cop SAW the pilfered laptop fly out his window). He wasn't just kicked off the team, the University EXPELLED him. He then went to a JUCO for 2 years before Auburn gave him a second chance.

RE: Brantley-never have I seen a QB sooooo missed used. He is accurate, decent armed, and ball-smart, but he is NOT a runner/scrambler. Put this guy under center in a pro-set offense and I think this team has 2 more wins. You don't have Marino or Peyton Manning run the option.

I really think UF's problem is they are a victim of their own success. 2 National Championships led to their OC and DC both getting HC gigs and their replacements are leaving us fans wanting.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 31, 2010, 10:23:53 PM

JG?, I don't think Newton was kicked off of the team.  He was suspended, and then decided to transfer after Mullen left for Miss. State.  There were also still questions about Tebow returning for his senior season and where Newton would fall on the depth chart with Brantley.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5709856

Newton, 21, insists he left Florida on his own after felony criminal charges were dropped. He injured his ankle at the beginning of his sophomore season and fell behind Tebow and current Gators starter John Brantley III on the team's depth chart. When Tebow announced he was coming back to school for his senior season in 2009, Newton decided he had to find another home.

Gators coach Urban Meyer has also said Newton wasn't pushed out of Florida.

"I feel like Coach Meyer had no decision in me leaving," Newton said. "I wasn't kicked off the team. I won't trash his name and he won't trash my name. Everyone thought Tebow was going to leave [after his junior season]. Coach Meyer thought Tebow was going to leave and he wanted me back."

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 01, 2010, 09:12:03 AM

i think newton left on his own accord as well.  i dont see the university (and Meyer) kicking a guy to the curb for a first offense of a nonviolent crime.  i think Meyer probably did what he always does...says newton is not on the team and gives him a list of things to do to return.  newton saw the writing on the wall that the future wasnt him and left.

i guess the thing that baffles me is Meyer&Co. not realizing that our OL can only play one brand of football, read option.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 06, 2010, 04:41:23 PM

The defense looked really good against a pretty sad Vandy squad.

Jordan Reed looked very good at QB.  Brantley didn't look good at all to me.  I feel bad for the kid because I don't think he was ever really given an opportunity to play his game, but he needs to be on the bench.  The offense the coaching staff wants to run just doesn't jive with Brantley's skill set.

Side note:  I'm not sure which is more disappointing, the performance of Addazio's unit (the OL) or Addazio's playcalling.  Way too many mental mistakes on that OL.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 13, 2010, 09:17:12 PM

Coach Addazio put on a clinic in that first half.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 13, 2010, 09:19:54 PM

It's painful when your offensive MVP is easily the punter

GameManager

Starter

#8 : November 13, 2010, 11:28:06 PM

bradentonian wrote:
Truer words have never been spoken. Chas Henry's going to be a baller at the next level though. I like Robert Malone thus far but maybe we can bring Henry in (assuming he goes undrafted) to at least give Malone some competition. After all, look at how well the Brent Bowden project worked out.

The Tampa Tri-force!!!!!!!!

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 14, 2010, 04:52:45 PM

GameManager wrote:
bradentonian wrote:
Truer words have never been spoken. Chas Henry's going to be a baller at the next level though. I like Robert Malone thus far but maybe we can bring Henry in (assuming he goes undrafted) to at least give Malone some competition. After all, look at how well the Brent Bowden project worked out.

I think he will get drafted (not in the 6th). There are usually something like 40-45 picks in the seventh and he is one of the top 3 punters.

I hope the Bucs are concerned with a lot more than competition for our punter. I want 3 DEs, 2MLBs, 2 Guards and a tackle.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 14, 2010, 05:13:25 PM

John Galt? wrote:
I want 3 DEs, 2MLBs, 2 Guards and a tackle.

Don't forget a FS

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 14, 2010, 06:42:40 PM

bradentonian wrote:
John Galt? wrote:
I want 3 DEs, 2MLBs, 2 Guards and a tackle.

Don't forget a FS

I am hoping Cory Lynch makes that a non-need

GameManager

Starter

#12 : November 15, 2010, 01:05:57 AM

John Galt? wrote:
GameManager wrote:
bradentonian wrote:

I think he will get drafted (not in the 6th). There are usually something like 40-45 picks in the seventh and he is one of the top 3 punters.

I hope the Bucs are concerned with a lot more than competition for our punter. I want 3 DEs, 2MLBs, 2 Guards and a tackle.
Ok, just checking. I think he will get drafted too but I agree that we have much more pressing needs than punter. Chas Henry IMO is the next Shane Lechler.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 15, 2010, 02:55:50 AM

Shane Lechler? Thats a pretty bold comparison. I'm happy with Malone but if we can get anyone close to Lechler ability good bye to Malone.

GameManager

Starter

#14 : November 16, 2010, 12:11:40 AM

Shane Lechler? Thats a pretty bold comparison. I'm happy with Malone but if we can get anyone close to Lechler ability good bye to Malone.
After seeing how the drafting of a punter this year worked out, we probably won't draft another, especially with more pressing needs. However, MD will probably do BPA in the late rounds.
------------------------------------------

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Florida Football Questions « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools