Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign Frank Okam « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« : November 17, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »

http://www.buccaneersgab.com/2010/11/17/bucs-ink-defensive-tackle-frank-okam-to-their-practice-squad/

I don't know much of anything about this guy, but does anyone else think that a 350lbs nose tackle might be a hint that we are trying to move away from the Tampa Two and start running this hybrid defense Rah has been trying? I don't think we've had a 350 lbs nose tackle on our roster or practice squad EVER. I doubt this guy will end up being anything, but i sure like the idea of getting a mountain of a man to play NT for us...nomatter what defensive scheme we use.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1 : November 17, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »

He's one bigazz dude.  Slow, lumbering dude.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 17, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »

i liked him when he came out a few years ago as a rotational guy.  i am interested to see what he has got.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 17, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

Gruden drafted that guy from Alabama who was in the 330s.  Forget his name.  Monte never played him.  think he is still around the league.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 17, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »

Texas DT Frank Okam Scouting Report
Height: 6-4, Weight: 347, 40 yard Dash: 5.29
Strengths: Ideal size and frame for the NFL…one of the few true nose tackle prospects available in any draft…experienced player at the top level…good athlete for a big man…tremendous natural strength…high upside…has been simply dominate at times as a collegiate player…extremely smart player with numerous academic awards…uses his strength as a bull rusher…good senior season…able to occupy two blockers…

Weaknesses: Could be in a little better shape…not a natural pass rusher or real quick off the line of scrimmage…undisciplined in his use of leverage and can be taken off guard by a good technician…relies on natural strength too much at times…boom or bust prospect…must improve his technique, particularly his hands…some question his effort…

Overall: Okam is a divisive prospect that will elicit strong responses from either side. You can not help be intrigued by his potential, especially as a 3-4 nose tackle or a five technique in the 4-3. Some question his effort, but he routinely anchored one of the best rush defenses in the country at Texas and if properly motivated he can do the same at the NFL level. If he can be motivated to work hard in the off-season, he has Pro Bowl potential. He is a very smart player who will most assuredly show flashes of brilliance. The upside outweighs any downside and he is a player who has the potential to be a huge steal in the draft.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #5 : November 17, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »

i liked him when he came out a few years ago as a rotational guy.  i am interested to see what he has got.

I always wondered why some 3-4 team didn't give him a shot.  Seems like a perfect 3-4 NT.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 17, 2010, 06:07:52 PM »

Won't make a whole lot of difference until there is decent talent on the ends.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #7 : November 17, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »

We need to stop the run, and that is what the guy is good for.

Adding a lard ass in the middle doesn't really mean a scheme change, simply just that we are going to add some mass to stop the run. Of course the guy still has to make it off the PS which I don't think he can do unless there is another injury at DT.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 17, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »

some good info on him here:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/frank-okam?id=290#tabs:tab-overview

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #9 : November 17, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

Oh my oh my.  He really IS A VERY BIG BOY.  Sounds like worth a try...I'd hate to have him on top of the pile with any of our players underneath....

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 17, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »

I didn't think he was that big anymore.  Also interesting to note that he was Miller's linemate in college.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 17, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »

From what I gather he is best when stationary. Meaning he is good at staying put, eating up blocks, and making the other team run around him instead of up the gut. Sounds like exactly what we need.

The thing that sucks is everything I read says he has poor technique and needs to be coached up. Good luck with that. Todd Wash can't seem to coach up anyone.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #12 : November 17, 2010, 06:39:33 PM »

I remember Frank the Tank at Texas. Felt that he was talented in school but wasn't really consistent with his play. At times he looked dominant and in others he looked terrible. I believe IIRC he was actually bigger in weight at UT then he is now and he played a lot of snaps. As a fresh rotational nose, he could be a difference maker in obvious running situations. Not sure what went wrong though in Houston.

rocko23

Hall of Famer
« #13 : November 17, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »

looks like a big nasty motha to me, plug him in we can cut one of the other DT clowns

Coburn1

Starter

« #14 : November 17, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »

Gruden drafted that guy from Alabama who was in the 330s.  Forget his name.  Monte never played him.  think he is still around the league.

Anthony 'Bear' Bryant I think you mean.

Didn't realize he was still in the league. Looked him up and he plays for the skins.  http://www.nfl.com/players/anthonybryant/profile?id=BRY207580
Man that guy must be struggling with his weight look at what he's listed at now!!
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Sign Frank Okam « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools