Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week17: Battle of two 10-5 teams? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
: November 21, 2010, 11:11:49 PM

After the win today it's time to start thinking of playoff scenarios. I think Atlanta wins the division and competes with either Ny/Phi for the number one seed in the NFC.

That bring said, we need to look at how we can get into the postseason as a wildcard contender. If we can beat either Baltimore or Atlanta we have a chance to be 10-5 going into the season finale against the saints. Our other opponents are Washington, Detroit and Seattle.

New Orleans plays Dallas, Cincinatti, St. Louis, Baltimore, Atlanta, and of course us at the end. So I could see them winning four of their next five. Based on scenarios I have seen, the race to ten will not be enough unless there are some trap games lost in the next several weeks.

Any chance we can beat the saints, in the dome, in a playoff atmosphere in week 17?

Does anyone see other paths to the playoffs?
Thoughts?

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 21, 2010, 11:13:13 PM

Bucs could be declared NFC West champs by virtue of beating every team in that division. :)

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 21, 2010, 11:15:56 PM

Bucs could be declared NFC West champs by virtue of beating every team in that division. :)

That's a damn shame isn't it lol... NFL needs to look at another way of seeding. To me this is not fair. NBA seeding is mire appropriate. You are what you are, tie breaker should be strength of schedule

Chaos

Starter
#3 : November 21, 2010, 11:19:18 PM

we may very well be 11-4 come that game.......I think we have a tough game against the ravens and possibly lose, but the rest of our games are very winable. but to answer the question, yes I think that game decides wether or not we make the playoffs.
as it stands right now we are 7th in the race to make the top 6.  before todays game we were 8th, and due to the fact that the eagles and Giants are both 6-3 and above us in the NFC standings, as well as the fact that  one of them goes to 6-4 tonight and we hold tight at 7th. but these last 6 weeks hold alot of divisional games for everyone.   
: November 21, 2010, 11:27:07 PM Chaos

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 21, 2010, 11:29:31 PM

If it comes down to that scenario though, win and in... How do you think we fare in that environment? We won't be playing against the backups in week 17, we have a real game that matters. Is it too far out to start thinking about this?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 21, 2010, 11:40:24 PM

I think the Falcons are a good team, but overrated. I think the Saints are the better team and ends up winning the South again this year.

I think the real question is who will the Eagles be playing in the super bowl? I think the only team in the NFC that can beat the Eagles...are the Eagles themselves. When they execute well, it isn't even close.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 21, 2010, 11:46:53 PM

I think the Falcons are a good team, but overrated. I think the Saints are the better team and ends up winning the South again this year.

I think the real question is who will the Eagles be playing in the super bowl? I think the only team in the NFC that can beat the Eagles...are the Eagles themselves. When they execute well, it isn't even close.

I hate Atlanta, believe me. Problem is they play Carolina twice still and Seattle. They can be anywhere between 11 and 13 wins. They play us, new Orleans and green bay, I can see one win there to make them 12-4.

They put themselves in great position, that's all. I think we can beat them in the postseason.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 22, 2010, 12:05:08 AM

The good news is the Giants lost again and are 6-4. Thier remaining schedule is tough. There's a good chance they finish with 9 or 10 wins, so we have an edge on them as far as Wildcard spots. I'm not worried about the Redskins either.

The bad news is bewteen the Bears and Packers, both will probably have 11 or 12 wins, so which ever one doesn't win the division will likely have one of the wildcard spots locked up.

So I see us fighting the Saints or Falcons for that last Wildcard spot. We need to beat the Falcons at home in week 13. It's a must win. The Falcons and Saints play in week 16, which will be huge. The winner of that game could take the lead in the division, or tie things up. The Falcons do have a sweet schedule though with the Panthers in week 17. We'll probably be fighting for our lives with the Saints for that last Wildcard spot while the Falcons are beating the Panthers with back ups.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 22, 2010, 12:10:33 AM

Imagine this though. Say in week 16 the Saints are 9-5 and the Falcons are 10-4, but the Saints win and they are both 10-5. Meanwhile we beat the Seahwaks to be 10-5. That last week will be huge. The Falcons will almost certainly beat the Panthers and get to 11-5, but we could be in a position where if be beat the Saints we win our division, if we lose we don't even get a Wildcard spot. Talk about a big game.

We just need to make sure we beat the Falcons in week 13 at home. We do that and we stand a good chance of making it as a wildcard team with 10 or 11 wins. If we lose that one we'd probably have to win 12 games to make the post season...and I don't see that happening.
: November 22, 2010, 12:13:51 AM JDouble

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 22, 2010, 12:15:00 AM

Imagine this though. Say in week 16 the Saints are 9-5 and the Falcons are 10-4, but the Saints win and they are both 10-5. Meanwhile we beat the Seahwaks to be 10-5. That last week will be huge. The Falcons will almost certainly beat the Panthers and get to 11-5, but we could be in a position where if be beat the Saints we win our division, if we lose we don't even get a Wildcard spot. Talk about a big game.

We just need to make sure we beat the Falcons in week 13 at home. We do that and we stand a good chance of making it as a wildcard team with 10 or 11 wins. If we lose that one we'd probably have to win 12 games to make the post season...and I don't see that happening.

That's the exact scenario I thought up in my op... Saints game seems to be it, any way you slice it...

Chaos

Starter
#10 : November 22, 2010, 12:19:21 AM

The good news is the Giants lost again and are 6-4. Thier remaining schedule is tough. There's a good chance they finish with 9 or 10 wins, so we have an edge on them as far as Wildcard spots. I'm not worried about the Redskins either.

The bad news is bewteen the Bears and Packers, both will probably have 11 or 12 wins, so which ever one doesn't win the division will likely have one of the wildcard spots locked up.

So I see us fighting the Saints or Falcons for that last Wildcard spot. We need to beat the Falcons at home in week 13. It's a must win. The Falcons and Saints play in week 16, which will be huge. The winner of that game could take the lead in the division, or tie things up. The Falcons do have a sweet schedule though with the Panthers in week 17. We'll probably be fighting for our lives with the Saints for that last Wildcard spot while the Falcons are beating the Panthers with back ups.

the bears have Philly, new England, jets and green bay left on their schedule....they could potentially lose all of those games and be 9-7 and open up the other wildcard spot for a 3rd NFC South team to make the playoffs. The Giants I believe are gonna choke and lose to  washington atleast once, and they still have to play Philly again and Green bay.....So there is alot that can happen for us or against us.......we have the opportunity to go 11-5 or 10-6 if we stay focused.  This could get very interesting

Chaos

Starter
#11 : November 22, 2010, 12:23:34 AM

That's the exact scenario I thought up in my op... Saints game seems to be it, any way you slice it...

i agree/disagree...The Sainst game is a huge game for us to end the season on, and It most likely will have a huge impact on playoff standings, but that impact may be one of two things: Either that game determines if we do or dont make the playoffs at all, or, we may be 11-4 going into week 17 and already clinched a playoff birth and this game may determine which spot we hold in the playoofs. Ahhhh it would be so nice to have a playoff game in Ray Jay this year..lol

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 22, 2010, 01:33:43 AM

I'm not trying to be funny, but has there ever been a playoff game that was blacked out? I'd hate to see the Bucs be the first.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 22, 2010, 01:40:35 AM

I'm not trying to be funny, but has there ever been a playoff game that was blacked out? I'd hate to see the Bucs be the first.

Yep, Miami has had playoff games blacked blacked out in the past.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 22, 2010, 08:25:16 AM

Don't the division champs get the home games? In other words, at best we can only be the 5th seed if we don't win the division butthe Seahawks would be the 4th seed if they were 9-7 but NFC west champs? We would have to go to seattle or green bay most likely...

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week17: Battle of two 10-5 teams? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools