Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week17: Battle of two 10-5 teams? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 22, 2010, 08:45:24 AM

Just sit back and think about the fact that this conversation is even happening this year!! I'm loving watching the growth of this team. Regardless of if the Bucs get in this year, I am stoked for the future. I see very good years coming. Theyvare flat out fun to watch right now.

Chaos

Starter
#16 : November 22, 2010, 09:02:31 AM

Don't the division champs get the home games? In other words, at best we can only be the 5th seed if we don't win the division butthe Seahawks would be the 4th seed if they were 9-7 but NFC west champs? We would have to go to seattle or green bay most likely...

3rd seed plays the 6th seed, and 4th seed plays the 5th seed.   so yes we would either go to seattle or green bay most likely.  Or we get a little luck and win the division and get a Bye week with a home playoff game..who knows...

bucinsouthFL

Starter

#17 : November 22, 2010, 09:12:35 AM

This is where all of those "meaningless wins against crappy teams" comes in handy. If the bucs dont make the playoffs, they can only blame themselves. We hold our own destiny in our hands. We have chances to play N.O and ATL late in the season.

Chaos

Starter
#18 : November 22, 2010, 09:56:27 AM

noone will know exactly how we stand until week 17, there are WAY too many playoff scenarios  right now...too many tie breakers. Its going to come down to division records , or common games!!!

benir0

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 22, 2010, 10:21:00 AM

I think there is a lot of great speculation in this thread, which is appropriate given the subject matter.  However, people are assuming that the Falcons, Saints, Packers and Bears (not to mention the Eagles and Giants) will all have 11 wins.  It just doesn't happen that way.  These teams will drop games and it is more likely that 10 wins will still get us in.  We will see, though.

Chaos

Starter
#20 : November 22, 2010, 10:49:48 AM

I think there is a lot of great speculation in this thread, which is appropriate given the subject matter.  However, people are assuming that the Falcons, Saints, Packers and Bears (not to mention the Eagles and Giants) will all have 11 wins.  It just doesn't happen that way.  These teams will drop games and it is more likely that 10 wins will still get us in.  We will see, though.

If we go 10-6 then that means we are poised to lose 3 more games. Based off of our schedule the most likely teams to beat us are the Ravens, Falcons and Saints. If that happens then we und up 2-4 in our division. 10-6 with a 2-4 division record will not get in the playoffs. Currently the Packers, Bears and Saints all have 3 division wins so we lose that tie breaker already.  The Falcons are 2-0 with 4 division games left so they only would need to win 1 of those to be ahead of us...The Eagles are 2-1 with 3 division games left and only need to win 1 to beat us.  The Giants aren't even in the top 6 right now, and they currently sit at 8th behind us so to me they dont matter.  with that said,  while you say those other teams are likely to drop games then you would also have to say that were are likely to drop some games as well.  We will beat the seahawks and Lions....all we have to do is get 2 wins out of the other 4 games and 11 is guarinteed playoffs. 10 wins may put us in a tie breaker situation where we miss the playoffs due to division record

Coburn1

Starter

#21 : November 22, 2010, 10:52:28 AM

It can in fact happen. A couple years ago the pats one 10 or 11 games, think it was 10, and missed out on the playoffs. The Chargers managed to make it with 9-7. However I do agree with you. Every year there is a team that starts out hot and puts themself into prime position only to meltdown on the home stretch. Let's just make sure it's not us! Oddly enough it was has often been the Saints in previous years. Winning the games we should may be enough hopefully we win one or two more. People can knock us all they want for who we've beaten but we have not dropped games to bad teams, we have beaten the teams we should. Even good teams in this league will go out and lay an egg against a poor team and leave you scratching your head. Don't be surprised to see some major upsets and even a team or two have a meltdown in these last few games.

Chaos

Starter
#22 : November 22, 2010, 11:13:08 AM

I believe the Giants are one of those meltdown teams this year, and their loss last night moved us up a spot to 7th.  The Saints nor falcons are gonna melt down, the Eagles wont melt down, so its going to come down to the Packers and Bears. The good thing is that the Bears have to play the Eagles, Patriots, Jets and Green Bay.  So they could easily melt down! Plus the Packers and bears play in week 17 so that game could easily be the one that shakes things up

benir0

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 22, 2010, 03:00:02 PM

If we go 10-6 then that means we are poised to lose 3 more games. Based off of our schedule the most likely teams to beat us are the Ravens, Falcons and Saints. If that happens then we und up 2-4 in our division. 10-6 with a 2-4 division record will not get in the playoffs. Currently the Packers, Bears and Saints all have 3 division wins so we lose that tie breaker already.  The Falcons are 2-0 with 4 division games left so they only would need to win 1 of those to be ahead of us...The Eagles are 2-1 with 3 division games left and only need to win 1 to beat us.  The Giants aren't even in the top 6 right now, and they currently sit at 8th behind us so to me they dont matter.  with that said,  while you say those other teams are likely to drop games then you would also have to say that were are likely to drop some games as well.  We will beat the seahawks and Lions....all we have to do is get 2 wins out of the other 4 games and 11 is guarinteed playoffs. 10 wins may put us in a tie breaker situation where we miss the playoffs due to division record

Good analysis of the tiebreakers.  That makes it a bit more clear why we need 11 wins.  I still think that at this point in the year, it is easy to project wins for these teams that have been winning, but the playoffs are always made or missed in these last few weeks.  I think the Bears and the Giants are up for lulls...  Some of these good teams will lose games.

That said, oyu made it clear that we need minimum to go .500 to have a shot, and only 11-5 would get us in with any degree of certainty.

benir0

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 22, 2010, 03:01:14 PM

It can in fact happen. A couple years ago the pats one 10 or 11 games, think it was 10, and missed out on the playoffs. The Chargers managed to make it with 9-7. However I do agree with you. Every year there is a team that starts out hot and puts themself into prime position only to meltdown on the home stretch. Let's just make sure it's not us! Oddly enough it was has often been the Saints in previous years. Winning the games we should may be enough hopefully we win one or two more. People can knock us all they want for who we've beaten but we have not dropped games to bad teams, we have beaten the teams we should. Even good teams in this league will go out and lay an egg against a poor team and leave you scratching your head. Don't be surprised to see some major upsets and even a team or two have a meltdown in these last few games.
[/quote

Exactly, we just need to be the ones who win down the stretch.  A tall order for this young team.

Chaos

Starter
#25 : November 22, 2010, 03:26:48 PM

we could end up in a 3 way tie with the Giants and the Bears/Packers...  and thats when stuff goes haywire...it sucks that a 10-6 team can miss the playoffs while the Seahawks may get in at 8-8

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#26 : November 22, 2010, 10:07:18 PM

I don't think the Giants will get past 8 wins. 9-7 at the very most.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 22, 2010, 10:56:54 PM

I believe the Giants are one of those meltdown teams this year, and their loss last night moved us up a spot to 7th.  The Saints nor falcons are gonna melt down, the Eagles wont melt down, so its going to come down to the Packers and Bears. The good thing is that the Bears have to play the Eagles, Patriots, Jets and Green Bay.  So they could easily melt down! Plus the Packers and bears play in week 17 so that game could easily be the one that shakes things up

The Giants are also really beat up at receiver. Nicks is out at least 3 weeks.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Week17: Battle of two 10-5 teams? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools