Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cam Newton scandal; Could Auburn's season be forfeited? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 02, 2010, 10:06:29 AM

Has anyone considered that Jimbo Fisher may be behind Wikileaks? Until someone can say he for sure isn't involved, I just can't rule it out.

lol

Snook

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 02, 2010, 07:13:02 PM

You can't say FOR SURE... 100 % that it didn't involve the athletic department.

And until you can, you're also speculating.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 03, 2010, 05:36:48 PM

Let clear things up on the statement that FSU's athletic department sanctioned the tutorial cheating scandal at FSU.  That is simply a false statement.

The tutorial section was actually monitored by the academic side of FSU not the athletic side.  TK Wetherall basically lead FSU to the sanctions that would have never have occurred had it not been for his bumbling and stumbling ways.  The open book course gave aid to both regular students as well as athletes.

No one in the athletic department or coaches were charged or accused of anything.  FSU did the entire internal investigation and TK botched the whole thing all along the way as well as the way he botched Bowden's hastened exit.

As to Cam Newton generally when one commits academic fraud that results in a suspension by the school.  So why didn't UF suspend Cam and not allow him to play when he attended UF.  Can anyone show me any link where Florida declared him ineligible due to his cheating?

Back to the Cam Newton a Auburn thing with the recent ruling it is rather obvious what is good for the goose... See UNC and how they dealt with NCAA rules violations and Auburn who essentially has ignored the major violation and continued to allow CAM to play. The NCAA has been totally hypocritical in its ruling this week.

Whether CAM knew or not ( If you believe in the tooth fairy he didn't!!) doesn't matter. It is a major NCAA violation to solicit money from a school and that has already been verified.   The fact that Auburn suspended him for a day and than immediately requested reinstatement is completely outrageous.

It is rather obvious as someone mentioned above this is just to assure that Auburn plays Oregon for the MNC.

What also is amazing to me considering all the ethical violations Cam has been involved is how he is remotely being considered as a Heisman candidate.
It would seem the ethics of the reward have been completely compromised by his behavior in school at both UF , his recruitment at Miss St , and of course things at Auburn.  Anyone that doesn't believe Auburn wasn't the highest bidder for Newton's services is blind.

How bout them NOLES!  :P

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 03, 2010, 07:30:59 PM

As to Cam Newton generally when one commits academic fraud that results in a suspension by the school.  So why didn't UF suspend Cam and not allow him to play when he attended UF.  Can anyone show me any link where Florida declared him ineligible due to his cheating?

Because the due process system hadn't found him guilty PRIOR to his quitting. In other word, he quit BEFORE they had sufficient evidence to suspend him. he only played in garbage time during some early season blowouts. When did the alleged cheating occur? The laptop theft occurred in November and according to the article Biggs posted, the cheating was after that. If the instructor didn't discover the plagiarism/paper theft until Dec. the season was already over. Are you asking why he wasn't suspended from the team in late Jan-Feb.?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 03, 2010, 07:52:30 PM

That's also why the speculation is that Urban dropped a dime (or is it a quarter now?) on Cam's non-agent, shopping his non-client to the highest bidder in the SEC...

Cam's dad seemingly justified their reverse-recruitment excersize because Urban "...had forgotten Cam's name while he was in JUCO..." (which is kinda the way it's supposed to be)...

Something just tells me this isn't finished - even though the NCAA has stated we can all just "....move along, nothing to see here...."

Incomparable sig by Incognito

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#35 : December 04, 2010, 06:41:32 PM

That's also why the speculation is that Urban dropped a dime (or is it a quarter now?) on Cam's non-agent, shopping his non-client to the highest bidder in the SEC...

That is what I'd call ''wild speculation". How would Meyer even know about the whole thing? Seems to me like any dime dropping was done by someone at MSU. My question is why didn't MSU scream bloody hell when the "non-agent" first asked for $$$?? Why did this whole story stay silent and buried until Auburn was 8-0? Why no "leak" back in April?

Snook

Hall of Famer
#36 : December 04, 2010, 07:23:34 PM

I can see why Auburn laid down the big bucks for Newton.  The kid is amazing.

And the NCAA can take away their title some day but the money they'll gain from a BCS national title game trip can't be taken away...

College Football... the most crooked thing around.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 04, 2010, 09:33:08 PM

I'm with Snook.....nobody can blame Auburn that's for sure.  Newton and Fairley were two unbelievable pick-ups!!

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 05, 2010, 12:13:35 AM

That is what I'd call ''wild speculation". How would Meyer even know about the whole thing? Seems to me like any dime dropping was done by someone at MSU. My question is why didn't MSU scream bloody hell when the "non-agent" first asked for $$$?? Why did this whole story stay silent and buried until Auburn was 8-0? Why no "leak" back in April?

As you know, I have no dog in this hunt, but I have heard that the NCAA received a call on this in May, didn't send anyone out until September to investigate - and that's when ESPN picked up the story.

The reason folks don't aim speculation at MSU is because if they did not report the illagal action at the time - they would also be in violation of NCAA rules.

So, speculation naturally turned to Urban...especially since it became evident that Auburn's success was due in large part to the play of the QB that Urban had originally recruited to play for the Gators....

I don't know as I believe it - but that is the speculation. I have recently witnessed enough of Urban's "benevolence" towards his team to question whether or not he would do something like this. Then again, that competitive edge of his - watching his QB win in another uniform - has to offend his sense of justice....
: December 05, 2010, 12:16:58 AM The White Tiger

Runole

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 05, 2010, 10:23:00 AM

Booster involvement and illegal tactics with recruiting have been a part of UF forever.   SEE 1984!   When UF fans had signs stating "HELL YES WE CHEAT" that was more because everyone in the SEC lives by that standard.    Just win baby!    Meyer was just angry because he let Cam go and decided along with Mullan to blow the whistle.

UF has a history of paying players and giving outrageous perks to recruits.   Cam just saw through Meyer's lies and decided he needed to go elsewhere.
It is possible the academic side may have suspended him but that usually isn't the way things work at UF.. See John Brown and Torrey Davis.  UF always gets as much out of them as possible before the farce of them being enrolled as actual students gets exposed.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 05, 2010, 10:24:26 AM

Run - what part of "Free-Shoes Univeristy" gives you the moral authority to level that charge?

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 05, 2010, 03:26:59 PM

Run - what part of "Free-Shoes Univeristy" gives you the moral authority to level that charge?

Well for one thing "FREE SHOES UNIVERSITY" is a far cry from booster involvement in payouts to student athletes.  Not only that but FSU was never charged for a lack of institutional control the entire Bowden tenure.  The Free Shoes were a one time agent sponsored trip. FSU unlike UF and now Auburn actually suspended any players involved with eligibility remaining.  Even someone like Derrick Brooks.  Perhaps we should review the actons UF took with Tank Black.. Tell me with a straight face that egregiousness of that situation is less than the "Footlocker"..  The best players on UF's team were being paid a monthly stipend for over 2 years!!!

When FSU has the NCAA make a statement like this .....

"Unfortunately, during the five-year period in which the violations occurred," continued Mr. Toner, "the football coaching staff operated unimpeded by any effort being exerted by the university's director of athletics or any other administrative authority at the university to assure control of the football program. Due to this fact, as well as the serious nature of many of the violations in this case, the Committee on Infractions and the Council considered this to be among the most serious infractions cases ever processed by the NCAA.

I will indeed get of my "moral" high horse. 

The serious sanctions UF suffered in 1984 are so far beyond anything FSU has ever been accused of is not even worth discussing.

Even the trumped up "Cheating Scandal" was more to due with a buffoon president TK Wetherall bumbling than anything.

What I find baffling with the Cam Newton situation is the NCAA has already stated that a Major Violation occurred yet allowed  the Cheater ,paid professional Cam to continue to play with their full knowledge... yet FSU has to vacate all victories during the year any player received help on an open book course in which all students were given the answers???   Sorry but that is absolutely outrageous.

FSU and UNC both faced the music and suspended any players suspected..  meanwhile Auburn slides free on known violations??? What is wrong with this picture?

Check out this link and tell me you think this kind of behavior should be condoned by the NCAA?

http://theclevelandfan.com/ohio-state-buckeyes/3-buckeye-archive/7274-the-fall-of-bobby-lowder-and-the-fallout-at-auburn

That  this kid is still being considered for the Heisman trophy is beyond any thing decent associated with the reward.  Might as well give OJ Simpson a lifetime achievement award by the Heisman committee  or perhaps let Mick Vick be the CEO or Peta or SPCA  or  run the American Kennel club..  Geesh!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 05, 2010, 05:18:49 PM

lol at Captain Clueless.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 08, 2010, 07:53:55 AM

lol at Captain Clueless.

You need to stop looking in the mirror for your humor.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 09, 2010, 05:59:17 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5903485&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines

He wants me to believe that he hasn't asked his dad about the money issue?

BBBBBBBSSSSSSS

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cam Newton scandal; Could Auburn's season be forfeited? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools