Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and an official get into it after the game « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #15 : November 28, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »

I hear the official in question drives a taxi in the off season.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #16 : November 28, 2010, 09:26:58 PM »

I hear the official in question drives a taxi in the off season.

dingdingding we have a winner!

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #17 : November 28, 2010, 10:19:08 PM »

Honestly, I have no major issue with this. It happened after the game so it doesn't hurt the team. He was defending his teammate Lewis. The referee DID call a horrible game as well. Furthermore, the story seemed to suggest that the official was the first one to take the conversation to the gutter. We don't know how it started, but it's very possible that Talib simply told him it was a bad call and the ref responded that way, which then led to the threat from Talib(the one part of it I wish he hadn't done).

Aside from the physical threat to the ref, I'm happy that Talib did this. He just needs to have better control over his words so he doesn't say things that could potentially get him fined. And if he does get fined, the referee sure as hell better get a suspension. He already completely sucked at his job, and following that up by calling a player a p****? This guy's job should be in serious jeopardy after today.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
« #18 : November 28, 2010, 11:22:29 PM »

Not sure why they had Talib playing off Mason so much today.  It was a dumb move.  Mason is not the most physical guy he's faced and he shuts down guys better then him playing more bump and run.  I'm sure that and the PI call had him pissed off.  I would be too if a part time lousy ref tried talking smack after I picked a pass with my legs.   As long as he didn't actually punch the guy I'm fine with it.  He'll pay a fine and I hope they investigate that ref for being biased against us now.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #19 : November 29, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »

Mason was baiting him the whole game and Talib allowed him to get into his head.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

aquilus

Pro Bowler

« #20 : November 29, 2010, 07:16:22 AM »

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times said the official told Talib “you played like —–”.

...a Revis?  a Woodson?  a proBowl CB?

I'm guessing not. The official definitely deserves a fine too.

Exaclty if the official started it he should be the one getting the fine

BucsWin31

Starter

« #21 : November 29, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »

Saying something like that makes it hard to believe that the officials are truly unbiased and neutral

Exactly what I was thinking

SWAGGARRR

Hall of Famer

« #22 : November 29, 2010, 01:39:17 PM »

Not sure why they had Talib playing off Mason so much today.  It was a dumb move.  Mason is not the most physical guy he's faced and he shuts down guys better then him playing more bump and run.  I'm sure that and the PI call had him pissed off.  I would be too if a part time lousy ref tried talking smack after I picked a pass with my legs.   As long as he didn't actually punch the guy I'm fine with it.  He'll pay a fine and I hope they investigate that ref for being biased against us now.
After the game, Talib followed a group of officials, which included Cheek, and cursed at them as they all walked through the tunnel. The exchange, witnessed by several reporters waiting outside Tampa Bay's locker room, became heated when Talib said, "You made a p---- call."

One of the officials responded to Talib by saying, "You played like a p----."

Talib tried to charge at the official and verbally threatened to punch him, but was held back by teammates.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/nov/28/282219/talib-official-have-heated-exchange-after-game/sports-bucs/

Talib had every right to call that REfTARD out... That was a p---- call...

The refs give new meaning to "Any given Sunday"...

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #23 : November 29, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »

NOVEMBER 29, 2010

Morris on Talib: "He didn't do anything wrong.'

Coach Raheem Morris said he did not believe cornerback Aqib Talib acted improperly when he got into a verbal confrontation with an NFL oifficial following Sunday's 17-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

Talib expressed  his displeasure with a pass interference penalty called on rookie Myron Lewis at the end of the second quarter by field judge Boris Cheek.

The 24-yard penalty set up a 10-yard touchdown pass from Joe Flacco to Derrick Mason on the next play that gave Baltimore a 17-3 halftime lead.

Talib used an expletive to describe the call, to which the unidentified member of referee Carl Cheffers' crew responded by saying, "You play like a (expletive)."

Talib, who was restrained by teammates, responded by telling the official, "I'll (hit) you in your (expletive) mouth."

"I don't really know what happened in the post-game stuff and really didn't talk to Aqib,'' Morris said Monday. I'm sure he did the same stuff everybody else did, talked about the call, disagreed with it with the official and moved on. If they had words, that's between him and that official. I don't get into that stuff.

"He didn't do anything wrong. He was just in conversation. I'm not going to sit here and act like Aqib did anything wrong or the official because I'm not into that. That's between those two men and whatever happened, happened. Keep it moving.

"I think you guys misinterpret how he talks. His swearing is not the swearing that you guys would come across. I don't even know if he sweared or not. But I do know he wanted an explanation of the call as well, so he was there listening, he was there part of it, just like the rest of our team was. You know, you go through the same tunnel with 52 guys, people talk, people are going to say whatever they feel at the time. It is what it is.''

Talib has had a history of controlling his anger since entering the NFL. He got into a fight with a teammate at the league's rookie symposium, he swung a helmet during an off-season practice on tackle Donald Penn and struck cornerback Torrie Cox, who had to receive several stitches; and he assaulted a cab driver in 2009, an incident that led to his one-game suspension this season.

"Nobody restrained Aqib yesterday from an official,'' Morris said, although he admitted he was not there at the time of the incident. "Those terms are accusations. There's no violent behavior. There was a conversation walking away.

"You just work with him every day and get him better and that's what he's been doing. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level right now, he's got six interceptions, he's playing the best football since he's been a Buccaneer and that's what he is right now. That's what his teammates are helping him to do, that's what we're helping him to do and that's what our organizatoin is doing.''

.Posted by Rick Stroud at 1:15:56 pm on November 29, 2010

njligernj

Starter
« #24 : November 29, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »

The official should be suspended -- even if provoked they shouldn't be making comments about how players perform. Definitely demonstrates bias.

smove28

Starter

« #25 : November 29, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »

This is getting ridiculous. The Bucs played their asses off yesterday to have the game basically decided by such a garbage call is insane. The refs have a right to make mistakes but i would like to see more men like the guy who blew the perfect game this season man up and have to explain their calls like the head coaches do. My best friend is a Ravens fan and he looked at me right when the flag was thrown and said, I guess its offensive pass interference. Talib has the right to be pissed. That ref didn't take one hit or make one play but basically decided the game. We held them scoreless in the second half, and there is a big difference between 10-3 and 17-3. What garbage.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #26 : November 29, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »

That Lewis call was indeed crap..

They played like that throughout the entire game (hooks/slight shoves), why choose to call it on that particular play anyhow? They let that crap go before that call, and after. From both sides it was physical. They could have called it that way on most of the plays in the game.

Not that the Bucs would have done much without the 2-minute drill and JF calling the plays at the line anyway, but I can't help to think the calls were very inopportune against the Bucs when it was the most important. IF this guy said what he said FIRST, he should be on the NFL gods ishtlist, not Talib. Refs are SUPPOSSED to be respectable, otherwise how are any of us to believe any calls they make? (Character flaws and such). IF he flapped his gums first, it "could" point out an agenda. I'm not accusing of cheating or playing favorites, just sayin'...It looked that way.

But of course, I've been on the conspiracy boat about the refs coddling the big-name/money teams for a good while now. ...But this was Baltimore, so IDK. :/

Naismith was right about Revis. Everyone else is a dummy.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #27 : November 29, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »

Mason got in his head.

With about 45 seconds left Talib took off his helmet and was looking like he wanted to fight someone. Raheem tried to calm him down but I guess it didn't work.
someone call him a cab!

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

« #28 : November 29, 2010, 04:59:17 PM »

JP on 1010 was blowing this story way out of proportion, saying Talib should/could be suspended and all kinds of stuff. It went from an argument where explitives were exchanged, to a hypothetical what if his team mates dont restrain him and he attacks the ref. Making mountains out of molehills.

I like how the media likes to ignore the fact that officiating has gotten worse over the last few years. There will always be a bad call here or there, but Ive seen so many game changing calls that were just horrible over the last few weeks alone.The refs need to start being held accountable for multiple bad calls. If a ref makes one bad call, so be it. If they are making multiple ones in a single game, they should be fined or something. At that point your taking the game out of the players hands and it is no longer fun for anyone.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #29 : November 29, 2010, 09:26:50 PM »

An NFL spokesman confirmed Monday that the league is investigating a profanity-laced exchange between an official and Aqib Talib in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Ravens.

The official is believed to have incited the conflict, but Talib's big mistake was threatening the referee with violence. Talib, who was suspended for Week 1 for allegedly punching a cab driver, is likely looking at a fine.

Source: St. Petersburg Times
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Talib and an official get into it after the game « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools