Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Trent Richardson Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17

Hate

Hall of Famer
: December 04, 2010, 09:20:50 PM

The NFL this year has more teams relying on undrafted running backs than at any time since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, with six different undrafted players currently leading their teams in rushing. Texans running back Arian Foster, who signed with Houston as a free agent after no team drafted him out of the University of Tennessee last year, leads the entire NFL in rushing, with 1,230 yards. That puts him on pace to break the all-time record for rushing yards in a season by an undrafted player, which is currently owned by Priest Holmes, who gained 1,615 yards for the Chiefs in 2002.

In New England, the 9-2 Patriots traded their former first-round running back Laurence Maroney early this season and have been led by a one-two punch of undrafted running backs, BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead.

In some places, like Tampa Bay, the undrafted rookie (LeGarrette Blount) became the starter simply by out-playing the established veteran (Cadillac Williams). In other cases teams have turned to undrafted running backs after a drafted RB suffered an injury: The Saints have been led by Chris Ivory, who has gained exactly 500 more yards than the highly drafted but injured Reggie Bush.

Talented running backs can be ignored at draft time because of everything from slow 40-yard dash times (Foster), character concerns (Blount) or because they went to little-known schools (Bills' Fred Jackson and Chargers' Mike Tolbert).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703989004575653083793584278.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Sports_RightTopCarousel_1#

PS: Its nice to have Foster and Hillis on my fantasy team ;)
: April 25, 2012, 10:37:59 AM 3rd String Kicker

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Codmons

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 04, 2010, 09:22:15 PM

If you can get an Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, LT, McFadden, Ronnie Brown out of the 1st. You snag em up!

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#2 : December 04, 2010, 09:50:32 PM

If you can get an Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, LT, McFadden, Ronnie Brown out of the 1st. You snag em up!
Tell that to Jon Gruden. We could have had AD

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 04, 2010, 10:21:57 PM

You may as well throw in former 7th rounder Peyton Hillis.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Northern Rep

Rookie

#4 : December 05, 2010, 12:49:17 AM

Tell that to Jon Gruden. We could have had AD

If I remember correctly, Gruden was highly interested in Peterson. There were rumors that Caddy might be traded and that we'd take AD. Also if you remember Monte's press conference he cited Gruden wanting a "rocket backfield" to which he responded We don't need no rocket backfield, can he rush?

But yea obviously we'd all like AD over Gaines. Hopefully Benn will ease the pain a bit.

DiSalvo

Starter

#5 : December 05, 2010, 08:38:30 AM

In the 1st round you take the best player available, period ...besides QB

Hate

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 05, 2010, 09:19:33 AM

If I remember correctly, Gruden was highly interested in Peterson.

He was highly interested in Aaron Rodgers, as well. How'd that work out? Truth is.... he's highly interested in every good player that he doesn't have.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 05, 2010, 10:05:10 AM

Safeties and Running backs in the 1st round is a waste 99% of the time. You can usual find solid guys at those positions in the mid rounds.

Even when you do get an Adrian Peterson or some other elite RB in the first, they have the shortest average life span of any position. So you gotta think is it worth taking an amazing RB that will be past his prime in 5 years, when you could get a Lineman or shutdown CB that could be around for 10-12 years?

Bottom line is if you have a great O-line, any average RB will get you just as much production as a great RB with an average O-line. So if your great running back gets injured you are screwed, but if your O-line is great than you can just plug in another average back if the starter is hurt. Shannahan proved this as fact.

Northern Rep

Rookie

#8 : December 05, 2010, 10:06:35 AM

If I remember correctly, Gruden was highly interested in Peterson.

He was highly interested in Aaron Rodgers, as well. How'd that work out? Truth is.... he's highly interested in every good player that he doesn't have.

Fair enough, he and most fans out there including myself. Anyway it's my belief that if Gruden had complete control, we would have taken someone other than Gaines.

But that's not the point of the thread.

For the most part I am in agreement with the article and can cite additional instances where low round players had success (snelling etc). Therefore for the most part I'd like to see this team solidify the lines before looking at a back.

The possible exception out there might be in regards to speed backs, as the those in the top tier were high round picks(CJ, Charles).

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 05, 2010, 11:32:57 AM

If you have a running back like Adrian Peterson, Darren McFadden, LT, Chris Johnson, Barry Sanders, Emmit Smith, and so on you take them in the first round. Yes you can find productive running backs outside the first round and deeper in the draft but the majority of the great ones are found in the first rounds.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 05, 2010, 11:40:10 AM

Totally agree. I wouldn't take a RB not named Barry Sanders or AD in the first round. Taking a player like Ryan Matthews in the first round is bad value IMO given the short careers of most RBs and the RBBC approach most teams use now.

First round value in today's NFL is QB, OT, DE, CB.

X Factor

Starter
#11 : December 05, 2010, 11:45:52 AM

Considering the top 2 or 3 DE's will most likely not be around when we pick this year why not take the BPA and if it's a RB then so be it. I bet the bust rate for DE's picked in the 1st round is just as high if not higher then RB's... And as far as the shelf life of a RB, thats why you have a 2 back system nowadays to keep the wear and tear down... Blount and Ingram or Blount and L. James would be a nice tandem...
: December 05, 2010, 11:48:42 AM X Factor

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

Hate

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 05, 2010, 12:41:38 PM

Taking a player like Ryan Matthews in the first round is bad value IMO.....

or Carnell Williams

Madman

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 05, 2010, 12:47:47 PM

... And as far as the shelf life of a RB, thats why you have a 2 back system nowadays to keep the wear and tear down... Blount and Ingram or Blount and L. James would be a nice tandem...

The need for a two back system strengthens the argument against a 1st rd RB. You don't draft a part time player in rd 1.

QB, OT, DE, CB... unless a player at another position is exceptional.

X Factor

Starter
#14 : December 05, 2010, 01:27:21 PM

... And as far as the shelf life of a RB, thats why you have a 2 back system nowadays to keep the wear and tear down... Blount and Ingram or Blount and L. James would be a nice tandem...

The need for a two back system strengthens the argument against a 1st rd RB. You don't draft a part time player in rd 1.

QB, OT, DE, CB... unless a player at another position is exceptional.

We dont need a QB, OT is weak in this years draft, DE - like I said the top 3 DE's are most likely gone by the time we pick possibly, CB - if one falls to us maybe but not likely - Peterson/Prince are the only two guys I would take in the first round. I am with you on our needs, much rather see a DE with our first pick but at the same time don't reach on DE just because you need one. That is why some teams consistantly suck in the draft. Go BPA if your top DE's are gone, thats what I would do anyways....

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr
Page: 1 2 3 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Trent Richardson Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools